Cracked ribs -length of recovery time?

QUIST

Cracked ribs -length of recovery time?

Post by QUIST »

About 3 weeks ago managed to crack 3 ribs, not too painful anyone any ideas how long they take to get better? Anyone any ideas about how I can speed recovery
pwa

Re: Cracked ribs -length of recovery time?

Post by pwa »

About 6 weeks in my case.

The main thing to do is nothing. Rest. Keep any exercise to things that don't involve bending forward or stretching. So walking is probably about it for now.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pwa wrote:About 6 weeks in my case.

The main thing to do is nothing. Rest. Keep any exercise to things that don't involve bending forward or stretching. So walking is probably about it for now.

+1. Broke a couple back on Friday 13th September :wink: While pain had gone away after 3-4 weeks, I made the mistake of doing situps too early (Perhaps at 4-5 weeks). Broken ribs didn't last a single sit up session prior to presumably coming adrift (NB. Judging by the pain).

I'd do nothing for six weeks and avoid heavy rib affecting workouts for a good 4 weeks afterwards
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Four to six weeks is about right for full recovery.
I've broken ribs 3 times now on seperate occasions and can confirm the older was the longer it took to fully recover,the last time was about seven years ago and seemed to take ages for the pain to subside.
Rest is the only healer,be kind to yourself and get well soon :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

It seems to depend on the nature of the damage.

Some years ago I trod on some jelly-like lichen growing on a rock in the middle of a Lake District path along the side of Ullswater. It was a large rock and unavoidable. The day was hot, sunny and dry - but the evil jelly-lichen was a man trap, providing a slick surface to throw me breast over buttock, landing on one rear rib, on the very top of the rock I'd just slid on. I felt the event in slow motion - the compressed lungs whooshing out all the air; the bend then sudden give as the rib cracked; the sort of pain that obliterates all else from one's sensorium.

After a few minutes I could breathe again and even completed a 10 mile walk. I drove home quite comfortably. The next day I was in absolute agony and unable to move much. Cruel friends came to make me laugh so they could watch me then gasp, moan and eventually cry with the terrible albeit short-lived pain. The ladywife had to pull me up after I lay in bed, as I couldn't arise without being clutched cruelly by the pain gremlin sitting astride that rib.

No treatment was required other than the odd pain-killer. When I phoned the quack, he made me laugh and used the resulting gasps and moans as his diagnostic tool, the rascal. "Three weeks suffering", he said. He was exactly right.

But four weeks after this event, I was on holiday in Pembrokeshire riding vigorous surf at the east end of Broadhaven South beach and chasing grandchildren about, with no sign of any pain, damage or anything else.

On the other hand, I knew a lad who suffered aches and twinges for months after such an event. The pain is not the cracked rib itself, though, but the intercostal muscles atween the ribs going into spasm to attempt to protect or perhaps aright the rib. If the rib wasn't shifted in position and merely cracked, it'll recover reet quick. If the rib got moved at it's attachment point(s) it'll take longer and hurt more, as the wee muscles try to tug it back to place. Or so I read.

Cugel

PS Rest at first but later some exercise may help your body fix that rib back into place. Resting then will tend to leave it misplaced for longer, perhaps settling in to a wrong position.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

From personal experience, as others have said, about 6 weeks.
geomannie
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Six weeks is about right for ribs. The problem arises if you have done more and damaged the small muscles between the ribs (intercostal). I did this a number of years ago and the pain was horrible, and long lasting. It took about 8 months to be able to drive a car again and well over a year foot the pain to subside completely. The best advice is active recovery. I did a lot of walking up gentle hills which did me no end of good. Avoid lifting anything though.