How long to fix a pothole ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Davesport

How long to fix a pothole ?

Post by Davesport »

The roads in East Lothian are great for cycling on but there's a growing number of big potholes and serious damage. I've been reporting these a few at a time using the CTC App. The first of these was three weeks ago. A displaced catseye leaving a hole 500 by 300 by over a 100 mm deep. I checked yesterday and it's exactly the same. Looking at the follow up page the it gives a road location and a grid reference of "NT 46366 63286" I can't get google maps or Google Earth to locate this on their mapping.

Two questions, is the grid reference going to be of any use to those trying to locate the hole & how long is it fair to give the council to fix this.

Thanks in advance, Dave.
pwa

Re: How long to fix a pothole ?

Post by pwa »

I'd try to speak to someone in the Highways department and report the problem in person. You are likely to speak to someone who shares your concerns but has a long list of similar problems to fix. The council will have a team with a lorry roaming from site to site more or less constantly, and they will take ten minutes or less to fill a small hole. Your personal approach may be all it takes to push the issue to the top of the list.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Here in Gwynedd we can report potholes etc online to the County Council website. Twice I've done this and they have been repaired within a couple of days :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
gaz

Post by gaz »

Reported 29 June 2012. The hole's still not fixed.

It was quickly coned off, the cones later replaced by lightweight barriers and roadwork signs, subsequently upgraded to semi-permanent barriers bolted to the carriageway with directional priority signage around them. Those are still in place, so I do consider it to be safe :wink: .

I imagine there are some complex negotiations between the highway authority and the adjacent landowner, the road is subsiding into a castle moat :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

gaz wrote:Image

It was quickly coned off, the cones later replaced by lightweight barriers and roadwork signs, subsequently upgraded to semi-permanent barriers bolted to the carriageway with directional priority signage around them. Those are still in place, so I do consider it to be safe :wink: .

I imagine there are some complex negotiations between the highway authority and the adjacent landowner, the road is subsiding into a castle moat :mrgreen: .

A situation like that near where I live, with the road rapidly falling away - there are huge cracks and half one side i.e. 1/4 of road has dropped about 150mm - Norfolk County Councils response (1 week after being notified via Fillthathole), is the draw a white line around it! I guess they won't do anything about the subsidence either, just patch it on top! They like refilling holes - Another one locally has been done 7 times in the last 2 years. :(
gaz

Post by gaz »

Work in progress.
IMG_20191125_094911.jpg
diapason

Post by diapason »

Advena ego sum in Terra
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm abroad at the moment, but I read in the newspaper headlines that that nice Mr Johnson says he will fix (all the?) potholes if he wins the election.

Unfortunately for you, this dead cert, worth a vote, promise, probably only applies to England.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Davesport wrote:The roads in East Lothian are great for cycling on but there's a growing number of big potholes and serious damage. I've been reporting these a few at a time using the CTC App. The first of these was three weeks ago. A displaced catseye leaving a hole 500 by 300 by over a 100 mm deep. I checked yesterday and it's exactly the same. Looking at the follow up page the it gives a road location and a grid reference of "NT 46366 63286" I can't get google maps or Google Earth to locate this on their mapping.

Two questions, is the grid reference going to be of any use to those trying to locate the hole & how long is it fair to give the council to fix this.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Grid references can be checked at https://gridreferencefinder.com/, which shows it's on the B6368 just NE of Humbie

Down here...
When a report is received, it goes to an inspector, who looks at the hole, decides how bad it is, and marks it up and raises a job to fix it if he thinks it warrants it. Usually, there's a 28 day deadline on the job, but if it's a particularly bad pothole, it will get a temporary repair to tide it over to the 28 day limit (a shovelful of tarmac). Of course, the inspectors are mostly thinking of cars rather than pedal cycles, so their view of urgency may differ from yours.

The work gangs have tablets that show the appropriate location on a map (as well as fill in what they did etc).
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

pwa wrote:Your personal approach may be all it takes to push the issue to the top of the list.

Unlikely.

You'll probably get through to a clerical type person, who'll put it in by the same method you would when reporting online, but with an added level of misunderstanding between where you say it is and what gets on the system. The only likely difference would be that you'd bypass the web front end and it would go directly onto the back office system.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Argyll & Bute are as bad. A subsiding verge near my house has been fenced off for about 3 years now. It only affects parking but narrows the carriageway significantly. Worse is another section of road which has been fenced off due to subsidence with the edge being undermined. The road is now one vehicle wide with traffic lights installed. Presumably they are waiting till the whole thing subsides which is then a major job. Hope a fire engine does not cause it to collapse as they do not hang about with often a fair distance to travel.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We were walking the dog yesterday and found where the tarmac was lifting with water coming out of it.
I went on the Cornwall.gov website this morning and reported it.
They phoned me back and said they'd passed on the defect to Southwest Water as it was a leak. The chap said that SWW would be out this afternoon.

Good fast response eh?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

There are some like that on a road built on the Witham bank.
Un-coned for some years.
I hope the bank is not about to collapse!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It seems as though spraying some paint around the hole, means they don’t have to worked on, round my way. This is the worst time of the year for having big pot holes, as it’s harder to spot them if it’s dark, foggy, and / or they are full of water.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Davesport wrote:The roads in East Lothian are great for cycling on but there's a growing number of big potholes and serious damage. I've been reporting these a few at a time using the CTC App. The first of these was three weeks ago. A displaced catseye leaving a hole 500 by 300 by over a 100 mm deep. I checked yesterday and it's exactly the same. Looking at the follow up page the it gives a road location and a grid reference of "NT 46366 63286" I can't get google maps or Google Earth to locate this on their mapping.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Don't just use one system of reporting. Report it directly to the council on their website and by phone. At least East Lothian has a reasonable record of responding to fill that hole reports. Even so, I doubt that response will be quick.
Where I live the only way pot holes get filled in quickly is if a royal visit is to happen or if the Tour of Britain comes through the area. :(
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.