Route needed from Wimborne to LE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
newbootclimbco

Route needed from Wimborne to LE

Post by newbootclimbco »

There are some great idea's and route's from LE up north but I want to cycle from my town down to cornwall etc, Anyone got a route as flat and quite as possible ?? I'm thinking of end of May 2020. cheers T.
philvantwo

Re: Route needed from Wimborne to LE

Post by philvantwo »

Where's Wimborne?
whoof

Post by whoof »

philvantwo wrote:Where's Wimborne?

Near Knobcrook.
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Wimborne, Dorset near Poole/ Bournemouth. T
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Google maps takes you a seniic route north of Dartmoor. A few bits on the first day look a bit wiggle and more direct routes exists.

Stay at Betty crocker inn just out of oakhampton.

Then take Mick F route though Cornwall highly recommended.

Cheers James
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

newbootclimbco wrote:Wimborne, Dorset near Poole/ Bournemouth. T

I think Philvantwo was asking whether Wimborne St Giles or Wimborne Minster was meant. Both are in Dorset.
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks James for your info, looks ok. I did the first 50 miles of this route near enough going towards Street and it's not too bad, certainly a better way than my last time virtually following the south ish coast down to LE and I should know better.Cheers T.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I planned on cycling home from Portsmouth many years ago when I was still in the RN.

From what I remember of my plan, I would take the A27 to Southhampton, then over New Forrest. i'd cycled from Portsmouth a few times to NF a few times, so I wasn't concerned about that bit.

From NF, I would have taken a coastal-ish route away from the A31 etc. Lyndhurst and out skirting to the north Bournemouth and Poole, then Wareham and Dorchester town centre (nice town).

Somehow get to Bridport town centre either north of the A35 or south of it. I don't think there's much in it, but I would have taken advice on that.
From Bridport, I would have bitten the bullet and taken the A35 turning off to Lyme Regis then A3052 to Exeter.

Join the Old A30 and head west to Okehampton, and from there I would have turned south for home.

As for LE, from Okehampton you need to go through the town and up the hill. After passing Betty Cottle's Inn, take the first right just after a farm. Top of the hill and turn left. Mile or less and you past the Travel Lodge and service area then under the A30 dual carriageway, and turn right onto the Old A30 again.

Follow that to cross over to Cornwall. As you pass the welcome sign, take the first right opposite the rugby ground. Follow this and then turn left. This will take you to a T junction. Turn left down the hill to a mini roundabout. Go right and up the hill to St Stephens. Turn right then left and head for Egloskerry and Tresmeer.

Pop out onto the A395 for Hallworthy and Davidstow. Keep going to the A39 and turn south (left) via Camelford and Wadebridge. At Wadebridge, you can stay on the main road (less hilly route) or go down through the town and up the hill back out.

Keep on the A39 and turn off through St Columb Major. Cross the A392 and head for St Newlyn East. Through the village to join the A30 but turn off through Zelah. Back on the A30 again for Three Burrows and then Old A30 via Blackwater, Redruth, Camborne, Connor Downs and to Hayle.
Through the town and back out onto the A30 to Longrock.

Work your way into Penzance town centre and out the other side to the A30 for Land's End. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks Mick F, your route from the Bournemouth area is similar to what I did 5 years ago on my way to LE, never again an awful route very busy and narrow in places, if I go south west next year I will be going Blandford,Crewkerne,Taunton, Tiverton,Oakhampton,Launceston, Wadebridge etc that sort of way.Thanks for the input guys. cheers T.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's twenty years since I was last that way, so no doubt the roads have become busier.
Good idea, going further north.
Mick F. Cornwall