Hong Kong

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hong Kong

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hong Kong, I'm just wondering where this is leading.
We've seen Tiananmen Square, What's your thoughts on how this will end?

To Understand Hong Kong, Don’t Think About Tiananmen
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... a.amp.html
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Re: Hong Kong

Post by reohn2 »

TBH IMHO it will ultimately be crushed by the rigid totalitarian state that China is.China doesn't like to be seen to be losing face.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:TBH IMHO it will ultimately be crushed by the rigid totalitarian state that China is.China doesn't like to be seen to be losing face.

Inevitable, sadly.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

[youtube][/youtube]
reohn2 wrote:TBH IMHO it will ultimately be crushed by the rigid totalitarian state that China is.China doesn't like to be seen to be losing face.

Almost certain to happen. What could the West do to change it? In my view absolutely nothing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just chatting about this "fact" earlier.

There is no happy ending.

However, if China took a step back from this and brought it on slowly, all this unrest might die down. After all is said and done, the One County Two Systems will run out in a couple of decades. Only the old people will remember how it used to be.

Softly Softly Catchee Monkey.
Mick F. Cornwall
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Mick F wrote:
Just chatting about this "fact" earlier.

There is no happy ending.

However, if China took a step back from this and brought it on slowly, all this unrest might die down. After all is said and done, the One County Two Systems will run out in a couple of decades. Only the old people will remember how it used to be.

Softly Softly Catchee Monkey.

The Chinese government probably thought they were bringing it on slowly - some propaganda here, an extradition treaty there - with the aim of having the place properly Sinicised by the time the treaty runs out. Officially taking over would then be a rubber-stamping exercise, with a happy Hong Kong leadership enthusing about the region's bright future as part of a unified China.

Those old people who remember how it used to be will have been teaching the younger generation what was so good about the old/current system, so the pro-democracy feelings are unlikely to die out without help.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The reform/democratic candidates did very well in the local elections, they have control in nearly all boroughs, who knows what happens next?

Shame we dinnae have a HK expert on these fora
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pastychomper wrote:..
Those old people who remember how it used to be will have been teaching the younger generation what was so good about the old/current system, so the pro-democracy feelings are unlikely to die out without help.

Right again, the stories are passed on by word of mouth, media
Just as many of us are aware and influenced by memories of WW1 + WW2 although we were not even born then
fossala

Post by fossala »

The extradition treaty was brought forward due to a rapist fleeing and no extradition treaty between Taiwan, Hong Kong and China. HK's independence wasn't watered down as extradition agreement would only apply if the law the person broke was in force in both areas.

People are calling China authoritarian, but how would the UK react to violent rioting for months on end? The last set of riots the UK had we put people in prison for years for stealing a pair of shoes. Do you remember the troubles? How about cable street?

Obviously people will jump to argue with me. Please just point out why you think I'm wrong and we can have a discussion.
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

Yeah but the extradition treaty was so unnecessary - China can simply kidnap people from HK and lock them up in China. Could have simply carried on with that and avoided all this aggro. And anyone who complained too much could be sent for re-education a la Uighur.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

fossala wrote:The extradition treaty was brought forward due to a rapist fleeing and no extradition treaty between Taiwan, Hong Kong and China. HK's independence wasn't watered down as extradition agreement would only apply if the law the person broke was in force in both areas.

People are calling China authoritarian, but how would the UK react to violent rioting for months on end? The last set of riots the UK had we put people in prison for years for stealing a pair of shoes. Do you remember the troubles? How about cable street?

Obviously people will jump to argue with me. Please just point out why you think I'm wrong and we can have a discussion.

If the treaty (a) is only to cover such cases as you describe and (b) will only be used for such in the future, then the rioters probably are over-reacting. On the other hand, if it would allow China an easier way to get at any dissident in Hong Kong by simply accusing them of some handy crime then they are probably right.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

+3m!
The Guardian reports that the Home Office has changed the rules so that up to 3 000 000 Hongkongpersons may [sic!] be able to apply for British citizenship

Could be unpopular with certain parts of the tory party :?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
But this British citizenship will allow them to be British citizens and still live in Hong Kong?
Then what will China do.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread resurrection alert

+3m!
The Guardian reports that the Home Office has changed the rules so that up to 3 000 000 Hongkongpersons may [sic!] be able to apply for British citizenship

Could be unpopular with certain parts of the tory party :?

Do you have a source for that please? I'm unclear which word or phrase you have felt the need to signify as being a faithful transcription.