Tenerife cycling and bike hire.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thornie1543

Tenerife cycling and bike hire.

Post by thornie1543 »

Hi folks,anyone cycled in Tenerife,just looking to book a week end of December and looking to hire bike for a week (road bike if possible),and i'd quite like to cycle as close up to mount teide as possible,where would you guys look to be staying ,I know this is a very general question ,I am just about to google some things and do more research but I thought you knowledgeable folks could give me some tips to help (like decent bike hire places,places to stay not to close to the more noisy/nightlife places/towns).
Polisman

Re: Tenerife cycling and bike hire.

Post by Polisman »

Last time I toured Tenerife I hired an all singing and dancing road bike with electronic gears, it was 60 euros a day as I remember. An electric assist bike is about 45. They seem to be very good quality bikes and well maintained.
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

I’ve cycled in Tenerife a couple of times and used Bike Point to hire from on both occasions. They have shops in Las Américas and El Médano and a wide range of bikes to choose from.
Most resorts are on the south and west of the island. I’ve not been to the north of the island so can’t comment on that. Las Américas is the busiest resort. I stayed in the quieter resort of Los Cristianos which is nearby 2 years ago.
This year I stayed in El Médano which is quieter still. It’s also very windy there - great for windsurfers, less so for cycling at times. The road from San Isidro down into El Médano especially: it’s basically at the end of the TFS runway with a predominantly easterly cross wind.
If you’re heading up El Teide, there are various routes up to Vilaflor, then there’s just the one road from there on upwards. If you stay in one of the resorts on the west coast there’s another road up from Guía de Isora which is nice. Starting in Los Cristianos you’ll be riding from sea level to 2200 metres in a continuous climb to the edge of the caldera, then a drop down to Boca Tauce. You can then take the road to the right towards the cable car base which is about 2350m. The road to the left drops down to Guía de Isora.
I found that there could be a fair bit of traffic in the towns at times but the roads in between them are pretty empty, and in great condition too. If you plot a route on a map, be aware that the general rule is the shorter route will be much steeper. If you like a climbing challenge, try Camino Fuente out of Valle de San Lorenzo.
robing

Post by robing »

Anyone have any info on Lanzarote? Going there in Jan.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Polisman wrote:Last time I toured Tenerife I hired an all singing and dancing road bike with electronic gears, it was 60 euros a day as I remember. An electric assist bike is about 45. They seem to be very good quality bikes and well maintained.

60 Euros a day! I hired a road bike in Fuerteventura and it was 80 euros for the whole week. OK it didn’t have Di2 but it did have 11 speed 105.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

robing wrote:Anyone have any info on Lanzarote? Going there in Jan.

Full of bike hire shops in puerta del carmen, anything from Bianchi xr3 to dutchies.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

robing wrote:Anyone have any info on Lanzarote? Going there in Jan.

Can't remember name of shop we hired MTB tandem from, but they dropped us off at airport when collecting tandem at end of hire and would have picked us up at the airport when we arrived if we'd asked.
Well worth asking!
1942alexander

Post by 1942alexander »

Hi,
I usually overwinter in Tenerife and keep a vintage Colnago Master out there. I've ridden up Teide quite a few times but not to the top. I stay in San Eugenio near the windmill and have always gone by way of Guia de Isora and Chio which is a monotonous grind and involves an almost continuous climb the whole way. I got to the sixteen kilometre sign which indicates there's another ten miles to the top, I was 73 years old at the time. It was a fifty miles round trip for me taking into account some little diversions, and a total climb of 5328 feet. Sadly the relentless climb took it's toll and gave me bursitis over my left knee so I've never tried it since. I suspect this route is the easier one rather than the one from Vilaflor which I've only done in the car. If you go that route from Los Christianos you immediately have a steep four mile climb towards Valle San Lorenzo which I climbed one day but the weather turned and I went back home. I'll be a little late going out this year but will probably be there for Christmas so if you see an old bloke in a Cofidis jersey, give me a wave.
Cheers...
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

TrevA wrote:
Polisman wrote:Last time I toured Tenerife I hired an all singing and dancing road bike with electronic gears, it was 60 euros a day as I remember. An electric assist bike is about 45. They seem to be very good quality bikes and well maintained.

60 Euros a day! I hired a road bike in Fuerteventura and it was 80 euros for the whole week. OK it didn’t have Di2 but it did have 11 speed 105.

Whereabouts was that from, the places I saw were at the minimum 28Euros a day for a road bike, I'm heading out to there in May, not to cycle specifically but would like at least a day or two getting around.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

LifeCycles in Corralejo, Fuerteventura. He may have put his prices up a bit, as I told him he wasn't charging enough. Everyone else on the island was charging 130-140 Euros for a week's hire.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
hondated

Post by hondated »

Used Bikepoint in Las Americas great guys and good bikes at reasonable rates. Enjoy.
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

Thank you to everyone that took time to post info on here,unfortunatley family stuff has left me unable to go just now,but info will be useful for the new year.