** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by al_yrpal »

So many of you are way off the mark unfairly imposing your prejudices on others without any reason. Sad people.. exposing your frustrations.

What were you doing last night I wonder? Il'l leave you to it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:So many of you are way off the mark unfairly imposing your prejudices on others without any reason. Sad people.. exposing your frustrations.

Al

Does that first statement apply to every one on the thread or just those posters who don't subcribe to your world view?

I fail to see what anyone did last night has anything at all to do with brexit

As for leaving it to us does that mean you'll be leaving the thread?
I hope not.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote:So many of you are way off the mark unfairly imposing your prejudices on others without any reason. Sad people.. exposing your frustrations.

Al

Are you looking at your various selves in a strange multi-faceted mirror of Al introspection? The unfair imposition of prejudices on others without any reason is surely the epitome of the typical leave voter, who can relate a very long list of prejudices unfairly condemning the EU without any reasons whatsoever, not even unreasonable reasons. How many times have you been asked for, and declined to give, reasons for voting leave? Or are you now classifying your various non-logical unfair prejudicial feelings about the EU as "reasons"? I suppose they are those post-modern style reasons I mention elsewhere - the ones where you begin with a conclusion you want to believe then invent "reasons" why it's true.

Cugel, still amazed at determined self-harmers.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well I'm glad I'm too stupid and thick and un-educated to understand some of the conversation here.
Only question would be how would you tackle a poster who said they've never voted and I have no intention in voting in any election ref et cetera.
But gave an opinion.
How could they ever harm you if they never voted :?:

But no, I am a hypocrite.
I have mentioned nonvoters before and slighted then for sure :(
I could put forward reasons why they don't vote.
Can't be bothered
Too well off to be affected by any future decisions.
Of course the second requires that well off people don't need to vote.
is this true, or are some party supporters of different party's more or less likely to vote.
I don't know I suppose I could look for statistics online.
What would I find are reds more likely to vote than blues or greens or yellows?
Then you've got the ones that have no intention of registering for voting, I am assuming the numbers included in Non-voters are also un-registered voters, 9 mil in fact.

But asking people to register or even to vote is the same as asking someone to register they don't own a TV.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thinking about the first time we got on the electoral role. It wasn't until we moved to Cornwall in August 1985.
Before that, we lived for years in Scotland and had absolutely no intention of enrolling there as their politics had nothing to do with us. Then, we moved to Plymouth in 1980 for a couple of years, then back to Scotland again.

Since being here since '85, we've voted at every opportunity.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Well I'm glad I'm too stupid and thick and un-educated to understand some of the conversation here.
(snip snip snip).

You seem to be glad about being in all kinds of peculiar conditions; and ever so happy about sailing into the Straits of Dire. Anyroadup, I have hidden the razor blades and other scratchy-cutty things.

But perhaps you can obtain a post with that Michael Gove? He too enjoys a lack of any kind of expert, knowledge or reasoning. You could be his gofer .... although you will become dizzy from the constant change of direction as he changes his mind (such as it is) about what you should go fer next.

Cugel, intelligent, bright and educated so probably due for shooting at dawn by a thickoid "under orders". :-)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NA
I don't know where to start in answering you,so I won't :?
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Alone in their manifesto, the Tories make no mention of any ambition to reduce nuclear weapons or limit the arms trade and sales to dangerous countries.

Once again, the wealthy industrialists around the world are dictating policy.

Talk about unlelected bureaucrats in Brussels! I'd take them over the totally unaccountable billionaires any time.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you were in any doubt about the USA and brexit have a listen:- https://youtu.be/HUV2R8TZR7Q
W H Auden
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Imagine how many replies this would get on a politics forum.

Guys no offence but you must be getting sick of talking about this by now? :lol:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Tis the season for nut roasts IMO.

Must admit this link made i really LOL :P

https://newsthump.com/2017/12/01/turkeys-vote-5248-in-favour-of-christmas/
mjr

Post by mjr »

Manc33 wrote:Imagine how many replies this would get on a politics forum.

Guys no offence but you must be getting sick of talking about this by now? :lol:

I suspect many of us wish Brexit would go die in a ditch one way or another, but wishing won't make it so and ignoring it won't stop it harming out country.

And there's no end in sight: "Get Brexit done" is a load of dung from a famous liar because entering the transition phase will mean years more negotiation of trade agreements and defaulting aka crashing out will mean years more negotiation to even start those negotiations!

Even revoking by some method will mean at least a couple of years of truth and reconciliation, to try to undo the Leave lies that were spread so widely.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mjr wrote:And there's no end in sight: "Get Brexit done" is a load of dung from a famous liar because entering the transition phase will mean years more negotiation of trade agreements and defaulting aka crashing out will mean years more negotiation to even start those negotiations!

There's one way to get Brexit done quickly, and it fits with everything we know about Johnson's negotiating style. That is, shouting about his own great strength while caving in to every demand the negotiating partner makes. Luckily for him (if not for us) there are quite a few mugs who will cheer him to the rafters for it. [See Backstop, Bridge, Bicycle Hire, Bus, Olympic Park, Water Cannon and Cable Car.]

Imagine Johnson as a poker opponent - boasting about his victories while pleading with his girlfriend to part with her engagement ring to pay his debts.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think this may have been mentioned already but here it is again anyway:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36803544

As I have suggested many times, I think you have to delve more deeply to get to the bottom of Brexit. My take on this is that I would give a lot of respect to a Brexit supporter even though I don't agree with them. People's values come from a very deep place in their hearts and souls. I don't think economic arguments are going to wash. Boris knows how to tap into these values (I don't think he shares them) - mischievously and deviously perhaps but he does.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

By the time Brexit is about to happen Trump will be gone ( impreached) and then where is the trade deal with the USA?