£220 per year to park you car at work, the joys of the NHS.

reohn2

Re: £220 per year to park you car at work, the joys of the NHS.

Post by reohn2 »

Anyway it seems obvious to me at least that some people wish to penalise medical staff for getting to work,which is a sad state of affairs IMHO.
If you wish the NHS to continue to be underfunded vote Tory,you won't be disappointed!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
millimole

Post by millimole »

Bonefishblues wrote:I suspect it's a more subtle and sophisticated calculation than that, given the undoubted positive impact on patient outcomes of visits from friends and family
You can take that line any way you want to absurd levels.
There is an undeniable number of people in hospital due to motor vehicle use. Reducing that would reduce the number of people in hospital, and reduce the number of visitors.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
millimole

Post by millimole »

reohn2 wrote:But to get back to the OP NHS shouldn't have to pay to park at work,especially those on 'frontline' sevices such as doctors and nurses more so when they are working unsocial hours when there's little or no choice but the car..

So not the scientists, radiographers, pharmacists, mortuary attendents, cleaners, etc etc who are all needed, but rarely seen, to keep a modern healthcare system running safely and cost-effectively?
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:Anyway it seems obvious to me at least that some people wish to penalise medical staff for getting to work,which is a sad state of affairs IMHO.
If you wish the NHS to continue to be underfunded vote Tory,you won't be disappointed!

If you want the parking charges to end vote Tory. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -millions/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

iandriver wrote:Of course you can think of specific examples where you can't park on site. The point is it's not universally implemented. The NHS is a government employer. [...]

And staff pay-to-park is not universally implemented in the NHS either, so your point seems mistaken or at least confused.

No on has suggested we should encourage them to pollute. One set of rules. Invest properly in alternatives.

Of course but anyone calling to cut motoring costs while doing nothing for less polluting modes is encouraging it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

reohn2 wrote:Anyway it seems obvious to me at least that some people wish to penalise medical staff for getting to work,which is a sad state of affairs IMHO.

Why subsidise people that choose to drive and ignore those that cycle, walk or use public transport? You're very mistaken if you think that most nhs employees have no choice but to drive to work. If you make parking free, you make driving the cheap option - why would that be sensible given the costs to society of driving?

Of course the nhs should be adequately funded and as someone who's worked in the nhs for 15 years I'm well aware of the state our healthcare system is in. So yes, find the nhs properly, but that's not in any way linked to free parking.

All workplace parking should be charged for - look what Nottingham have achieved with their parking levy. Fewer people driving, better public transport. What's not to like about that?
Syd

Post by Syd »

The last two hospitals I have worked at made no money at all from car parking. The management of the car parks was passed over to third party companies.

The plus side was is removed the headache for the hospital of managing them. The down side is that it becomes a profitable enterprise for private companies.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

millimole wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But to get back to the OP NHS shouldn't have to pay to park at work,especially those on 'frontline' sevices such as doctors and nurses more so when they are working unsocial hours when there's little or no choice but the car..

So not the scientists, radiographers, pharmacists, mortuary attendents, cleaners, etc etc who are all needed, but rarely seen, to keep a modern healthcare system running safely and cost-effectively?

Sorry my bad,I should've included everyone on fronline services.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:

They've had 10 years to do that(among the many other things they've had the same time to do whilst running the NHS into the ground ) what make you think they'll suddenly change their minds?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

amaferanga wrote:

Why subsidise people that choose to drive and ignore those that cycle, walk or use public transport? You're very mistaken if you think that most nhs employees have no choice but to drive to work. If you make parking free, you make driving the cheap option - why would that be sensible given the costs to society of driving?

Of course the nhs should be adequately funded and as someone who's worked in the nhs for 15 years I'm well aware of the state our healthcare system is in. So yes, find the nhs properly, but that's not in any way linked to free parking.

All workplace parking should be charged for - look what Nottingham have achieved with their parking levy. Fewer people driving, better public transport. What's not to like about that?

I don't know what yoyr job in the NHs is,but I gave examples up thread about unsocial hours and long shift times.If we don't want people to drive then start with a viable option currently public transport is a disgrace until that's sorted people will use the most convenient form of transport available which is the private motor car.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Syd wrote:The last two hospitals I have worked at made no money at all from car parking. The management of the car parks was passed over to third party companies.

The plus side was is removed the headache for the hospital of managing them. The down side is that it becomes a profitable enterprise for private companies.

And that's what's happening with a lot of NHS car parks.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:

They've had 10 years to do that(among the many other things they've had the same time to do whilst running the NHS into the ground ) what make you think they'll suddenly change their minds?

They already have and it's in the manifesto. It's just one of the policies they've stolen from UKIP.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:

They already have and it's in the manifesto. It's just one of the policies they've stolen from UKIP.

I'll believe it if I see it.
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

reohn2 wrote:
amaferanga wrote:

I don't know what yoyr job in the NHs is,but I gave examples up thread about unsocial hours and long shift times.If we don't want people to drive then start with a viable option currently public transport is a disgrace until that's sorted people will use the most convenient form of transport available which is the private motor car.

Like many other contributors I too know people who both work for the NHS and do so on a shift working / antisocial hours basis. Travel in to work is a big issue and particularly so when poor and unreliable public transport is thrown into the equation. In many places, including major cities, public transport isn’t available in the late evening and early morning when some staff start or finish their shift. For such people car parking isn’t a luxury but rather something that is necessary for them to work.

Doubtless someone will shout up saying everyone should live near enough to walk or cycle. IMHO that idea isn’t without merit but you’re then demanding that people put down expensive roots near to particular places of work without taking account of people’s working partners, other family commitments and the fact that places of work can change (new job or allocated to another post in another hospital with their existing trust).

The bottom line is that staff and patients need to be able to readily get to Hospitals - sometimes travelling considerable distances - and do so without dependence upon poor or non-existent public transport (which between say 9.00 pm and 7.00 am it typically is).
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout London? Lots of buses, tubes and the like there, they run early and late too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies