eBikes: I have some questions

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: eBikes: I have some questions

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys.
You've answered my question quite well ............... especially Willcee.

It varies.
Make/model of bike, and gearing.
The couple that came up that hill weren't "cyclists" born and bred like me, but two normal people wearing ordinary clothes exploring the area using eBikes to their maximum effect. Not in the least putting any effort into that hill, though they were pedalling.

I can't see that I would bother with an eBike. Most of the joy of riding - to me at least - is putting all your effort into riding.
Mick F. Cornwall
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

You can still put all your effort into cycling on an eBike. You'll just go faster on the climbs. What's not to like? :mrgreen:
stodd

Post by stodd »

If you go for a torque sensor bike you have to put in effort all the time (except downhill). That couple almost certainly had cadence sensors, so as long as they kept pedalling they could put in 0 effort and get up any hill (limited by motor power and power settings on the bike). Perfect for enjoying the countryside. I bet that (like us) they didn't often get near the 15.5mph assisted limit on the flat either.

Mick F's use is clearly different; and for him quite a lot not to like in an ebike. Weight, price, maintenance, ...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just home from 50lm hilly North Northumberland. Exhausted, despite an ebike. I was cycling out into a stiff wind so still had to work pretty hard. You also have to keep your battery going so leaning on maximum power is a recipe for getting stuck half way home.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Does the law say a pedalec has to be physically coupled between pedals and wheel?
What happens if the pedals are just free rotating but enable the motor?
hemo

Post by hemo »

kwackers wrote:Does the law say a pedalec has to be physically coupled between pedals and wheel?
What happens if the pedals are just free rotating but enable the motor?

Not in so many words, all that pedelecs law states is that pedals must be rotated to enable power ( ie, no twist and go throttle).
One advantage of pas cadence sensor if chain breaks and unable to repair, ghost pedalling (although a pain and looks silly) still enables progress.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Only if you have a front or rear wheel drive.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rfryer wrote:You can still put all your effort into cycling on an eBike. You'll just go faster on the climbs. What's not to like? :mrgreen:
Not sure.

Why go faster on the climbs?

I'm on record on this forum for towing a concrete block(or two!) behind my bike (and bikes including the Raleigh Chopper)
Speed isn't the issue for me. Effort and achievement mean a great deal as far as I'm concerned.

Confession time.
Not turned a pedal since 19th of November. :cry:
I've been very busy ........look at my posting record on here, as I've been otherwise involved and still am ............ and i've not had the opportunity to go out riding.

Gone are the days when I needed to commute or use a bike as a means of transport so these days, a bike is a pleasure item. I can pick and choose if and when I ride, and when I ride, I absolutely adore the effort involved ............... and an eBike wouldn't cut it for me.
Mick F. Cornwall
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Oldjohnw wrote:Just home from 50lm hilly North Northumberland. Exhausted, despite an ebike. I was cycling out into a stiff wind so still had to work pretty hard. You also have to keep your battery going so leaning on maximum power is a recipe for getting stuck half way home.

If you're planning a long ride where running out of juice is a consideration would you take a charger with you? A fast charger could get you enough pretty quick.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

1982john wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Just home from 50lm hilly North Northumberland. Exhausted, despite an ebike. I was cycling out into a stiff wind so still had to work pretty hard. You also have to keep your battery going so leaning on maximum power is a recipe for getting stuck half way home.

If you're planning a long ride where running out of juice is a consideration would you take a charger with you? A fast charger could get you enough pretty quick.

I usually do. I just did more than I planned plus I forgot to charge it last night.
John
hemo

Post by hemo »

freeflow wrote:Only if you have a front or rear wheel drive.

Yes quite correct has to be a hub drive.
neilob

Post by neilob »

Mick, you would probably go for an ebike if it was the only way to keep cycling! I have blood cancer and my haemoglobin is wrecked which leaves me very short of power. My ebike is a great way to still go out with friends, undertake short tours, and keep pedalling.. Of course I would prefer to ride a normal bike but let's not be too judgemental about battery power!
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:.

I can't see that I would bother with an eBike. Most of the joy of riding - to me at least - is putting all your effort into riding.

You can do the same thing on an eBike you will go further and probably faster! When you are old grizzled and weakening, you will understand. Some people are embarrased by riding eBikes, but theres an answer, eBikes that look like Mamil steeds with practically invisible batteries. Nothing to stop you wearing bizzare clothing either. Indistinguishable.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
1982john

Post by 1982john »

al_yrpal wrote:
Mick F wrote:.

You can do the same thing on an eBike you will go further and probably faster! When you are old grizzled and weakening, you will understand. Some people are embarrased by riding eBikes, but theres an answer, eBikes that look like Mamil steeds with practically invisible batteries. Nothing to stop you wearing bizzare clothing either. Indistinguishable.

Al

Personally not even that old or grizzled yet looking into an ebike for a new commute which will be a 30 mile round trip instead of buying a car.

Just as much we need to get away from the stereotype that ebikes dont mean zero effort we should also get away from the idea they are just for the elderly!

How many more leisure cyclists and commuters could we get if there were cheap and decent ebikes available?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The eBike I bought cost £1500. The bike itself was beautifully made of really good components, rack, stand, led lights, hydraulic disks and worth every penny of £800. The Bosch Motor and battery is probably £700 worth so to me its good value. It would easily cope with a 30 mile round trip every day.

There are cheapo BSO eBikes but I dont think they are in the same league and wouldnt cope with the stresses of that commute for any period of time.

I would expect that eBikes will drop in price as volumes made increase.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......