Sods Law

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peter236uk

Sods Law

Post by peter236uk »

On my commute home the other Friday I had my first puncture in ages thought no worries pulled wheel out then had a look in saddle bag !! no leavers, and no pump !!!!!!! what a wally I had mended a puncture on another bike and left them in the garage.
So it was phone call to wife who came and collected me she did have a smile on her face.
meic

Post by meic »

With me it tends to be a dried up tube of rubber solution.

Or another time when I stopped my motorbike to help another motorcyclist. "Dont worry I said you can have one of the spare tubes that I carry" When I got it out of its hiding place it came apart in my hands, having perished over the years.
Yma o Hyd
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

It's the thought that counts though!

Unless I'm in a blazing hurry, I always try to stop and ask if a punctured rider needs anything. They never seem to, but are glad of the consideration (I know I am).

What's really annoying is when you're swapping tubes and people whizz past with a smug "wet night to be doing that"... :evil:
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

EdinburghFixed wrote:It's the thought that counts though!

Unless I'm in a blazing hurry, I always try to stop and ask if a punctured rider needs anything. They never seem to, but are glad of the consideration (I know I am).

What's really annoying is when you're swapping tubes and people whizz past with a smug "wet night to be doing that"... :evil:

i always stop too...often makes me late for work but i know if i was in their situation id appreciate it
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

lauriematt wrote:

i always stop too...often makes me late for work but i know if i was in their situation id appreciate it

Geez! This is really good to read!

:D

How common is this?

Can we have a show of hands, please?
Dee
PW

Post by PW »

Unless it's REALLY urgent I always stop, or at least ask if the rider is OK. It was always considered bad manners not to as far back as I can remember.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
thegirlfrommarz

Post by thegirlfrommarz »

I haven't yet passed anyone in need of help, but when I stopped to sort out my trouser leg the other night (the trouser clip was slipping and the cuff was getting caught in the chain), someone stopped to see if I was having trouble with the bike and needed any help. I was very grateful to him for the thought and would definitely do that myself in future (although would be worse than useless on mending a puncture...).
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I usually check they are ok, but am re-thinking given the number that will ride past me when I am stopped early in the morning.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
garybaldy

Post by garybaldy »

40 miles into a 300 mile trip, I had just repaired a puncture on the A40 in west London when a passing cyclist stopped to ask if I needed any help. I told him I was ok and was about to get underway again. Not only did he give me one of his spare tubes "just incase" he also insisted that I take a pair of his disposable gloves! What a great guy. I often stopped to help before, now I allways stop.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Dee Jay wrote:
lauriematt wrote:

Geez! This is really good to read!

How common is this?

Ok here's mine
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

oh pur-leeeeeze!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I usually stop - I also carry a bike pump etc when out driving, but I've never needed them.

I'd not normally stop if it was a group and they looked to hav ethe job under control.

The last time I remember stopping it was a woman walking with a broken chain on the far side of Pontefract in open country. She said it was OK because she had rung for somebody to pick her up but I also thought she was a bit unsure of my intentions which is a pity but I rode on.

I may have mentioned before that I once stopped for a Czech lady walking home from Castleford who had picked up a thorn the size of a darning needle. She said she usually rode only with her husband and he had told her she didn't need to be able to fix punctures. She paid close attention to the Thirdcrank basic course in puncture repairing and as she was going my way without her own pump and puncture outfit, I gave her a lead-out home. It's the sort of solidarity we all can benefit from and it's a pity that our society now conditions us to suspect such altruism.
meic

Post by meic »

A friend and I stopped to help two teenage girls with a puncture on the Taff Trail. They told us to keep on going and they had phoned their dad to come and get them. That's the way it is nowadays.
Yma o Hyd
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

thegirlfrommarz wrote:I haven't yet passed anyone in need of help, but when I stopped to sort out my trouser leg the other night (the trouser clip was slipping and the cuff was getting caught in the chain), .

I've found modern clips seem very poor but you can get them to stay in place better by wrapping an elastic band many times round each end thus prioviding some grip on trouser material.

I always ask if any stopped cyclist is OK and, so far, have always got a thumbs up or equivalent.
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

Dee Jay wrote:Geez! This is really good to read!

How common is this?

I always stop if I'm on the bike. I'll also stop if I'm driving, have my cycling gear in the back, and it's safe to do so. My p*nct*re repair outfit and the tool kit I carry in my rack bag have been used several times to get other people out of trouble - often tourists on hire bikes. (As an aside, why do hire shops let bikes out without pumps or repair kits?)

Whenever Mrs GeoffL or I have had problems ourselves over the last couple of years, I've been effecting repairs when at least one cyclist has checked we were OK and offered to help. So I guess "samaritanism" is pretty widespread!

Geoff