New user + Advise on accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: New user + Advise on accident

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:As for my opinion, if the driver was turning, he certainly bears responsibility for ensuring that it was clear to do so. Your case is stronger if you were in a cycle lane. As pointed out by mjr above, if you were filtering (overtaking) at a junction, and not in a separate lane, the HC does say not to, which could be the justification for 20% shared liability.

I don't see a cycle lane or not as changing the HC advice not to overtake past junctions although it does mean the driver broke more HC rules, but I think 20% seems harsh because almost everyone ignores the junction overtaking advice in my experience so the driver really shouldn't be relying on it and I bet they were unaware of it.

If the OP was in a cycle lane, they weren't overtaking. One lane was going faster than the other.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:As for my opinion, if the driver was turning, he certainly bears responsibility for ensuring that it was clear to do so. Your case is stronger if you were in a cycle lane. As pointed out by mjr above, if you were filtering (overtaking) at a junction, and not in a separate lane, the HC does say not to, which could be the justification for 20% shared liability.

I don't see a cycle lane or not as changing the HC advice not to overtake past junctions although it does mean the driver broke more HC rules, but I think 20% seems harsh because almost everyone ignores the junction overtaking advice in my experience so the driver really shouldn't be relying on it and I bet they were unaware of it.

If the OP was in a cycle lane, they weren't overtaking. One lane was going faster than the other.

That's a narrower definition to that used by the Highway Code. Permission to pass on the left in slow moving lanes is in an overtaking rule, rule 163.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:I don't see a cycle lane or not as changing the HC advice not to overtake past junctions although it does mean the driver broke more HC rules, but I think 20% seems harsh because almost everyone ignores the junction overtaking advice in my experience so the driver really shouldn't be relying on it and I bet they were unaware of it.

That's a narrower definition to that used by the Highway Code. Permission to pass on the left in slow moving lanes is in an overtaking rule, rule 163.

Fair enough; but the explicit permission, IMO, makes the OP's case stronger.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:

That is still overtaking. ie:
"the act of one vehicle going past another slower moving vehicle, travelling in the same direction, on a road."
While it may be acceptable to overtake on the left with care in such circumstances - all the other HC rules still apply for circumstances where you should not attempt to overtake - such as approaching junctions or pedestrian crossings. The reason for this is fairly obvious; the vehicle you are overtaking hides you from the view of the driver who is expected to give way to you.
dim

Post by dim »

Just out of interest, how much compensation are you claiming?