Chinese Lightweight 1 person Tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
andrew_s

Re: Chinese Lightweight 1 person Tent

Post by andrew_s »

pjclinch wrote:If I'm in the middle of nowhere on a nasty night I want to be able to trust it. If you don't mind you can choose the other way, but I wouldn't touch it.

The point about failure is that it's not only a matter of suffering for the rest of the night, but it could also be expensive.

Consider what you'd do if you were, for example, on Benbecula (where strong wind is relatively common), half way through a 2 week holiday, when the tent failed.
The nearest replacement tent is likely to be Inverness, Fort William, or maybe Oban, so you've several subsequent night's accommodation to find and pay for, unbooked, before you could get one; if you bought cheap rail tickets they are only valid on the journeys specified, so abandoning the tour and going home could cost replacement full price tickets, plus accommodation whilst reaching the station.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

If you do not want to spend too much and still want reliability, look no further than the Decathlon Ultralight series. They are well designed, with decent quality materials like DAC featherlight poles.
Nebulous

Post by Nebulous »

Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote:Agree with you horizon.

Have bought camping bits from china.

Wouldn't dream of buying a tent.

There would also be customs and duty issues.

Hello!
There are no import issues.
The Naturehike tents are in my opinion excellent and good 3 season tents.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

willem jongman wrote:If you do not want to spend too much and still want reliability, look no further than the Decathlon Ultralight series. They are well designed, with decent quality materials like DAC featherlight poles.

Not only that they have a very good warranty and spares back up.
For the prices being mentioned in the thread this is what I would go for https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker- ... 45650.html

My son has had one for four years. Still in good condition and usage includes a 3 month trip with no stays longer than a couple of days so a lot of taking down and putting up. Brilliant for one and we used it for the two of us on a double C2C without space problems. Wouldn't like to stay two up in itfor several days in the same place though. The longer you are in one spot the bigger the tent you seem to need.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pete75 wrote:
willem jongman wrote:If you do not want to spend too much and still want reliability, look no further than the Decathlon Ultralight series. They are well designed, with decent quality materials like DAC featherlight poles.

For the prices being mentioned in the thread this is what I would go for https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker- ... 45650.html

My son has had one for four years. Still in good condition and usage includes a 3 month trip with no stays longer than a couple of days so a lot of taking down and putting up. Brilliant for one and we used it for the two of us on a double C2C without space problems. Wouldn't like to stay two up in itfor several days in the same place though. The longer you are in one spot the bigger the tent you seem to need.

They sell spares?

I rate Decathlon stuff but wasn't aware that they sold spare bits for their tents?

Also have the idea that though impressive in many ways it's a bit "fangled" in that you pack it with the poles still attached to the tent.

Is that the case?

If so an issue at all?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote:
Sweep wrote:Agree with you horizon.

Have bought camping bits from china.

Wouldn't dream of buying a tent.

There would also be customs and duty issues.

Hello!
There are no import issues.
The Naturehike tents are in my opinion excellent and good 3 season tents.
John

I thought anything over £15 attracted import/VAT charges?

Can you clarify which (Chinese?) tent you are referring to?
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:
pete75 wrote:

They sell spares?

I rate Decathlon stuff but wasn't aware that they sold spare bits for their tents?

Also have the idea that though impressive in many ways it's a bit "fangled" in that you pack it with the poles still attached to the tent.

Is that the case?

If so an issue at all?

You can pack it with the poles attached to the tent or not as you wish. With the two man it's quicker and easier to do it with them attached. We have a four man as well and I find that easier to erect with the poles not attached.

The inside of the instruction sheet attached to the bag has a list of all spare parts along with their part numbers.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks pete

re these spare parts and part numbers are they standard stock in decathlon stores or do you have to go through some special order online process?
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:I thought anything over £15 attracted import/VAT charges?

Can you clarify which (Chinese?) tent you are referring to?

I've bought a lot of stuff from China over the years and never had to pay any import duty or VAT charges even on things costing several hundred pounds.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:thanks pete

re these spare parts and part numbers are they standard stock in decathlon stores or do you have to go through some special order online process?

No idea I've never needed any. Just looked on their website and there's a large section on replacement parts with 50 different flysheets, 69 inners or rooms as they call them, 44 lots of poles etc. I suspect there'll be some things you have to get on special order though.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-2417153-q ... arts#page3
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks pete.

Am impressed.

I assume that many of those bits have to be ordered online for pick-up at your local store, or one you happen to be passing - but still very impressive.
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

andrew_s wrote:
pjclinch wrote:If I'm in the middle of nowhere on a nasty night I want to be able to trust it. If you don't mind you can choose the other way, but I wouldn't touch it.

The point about failure is that it's not only a matter of suffering for the rest of the night, but it could also be expensive.

Consider what you'd do if you were, for example, on Benbecula (where strong wind is relatively common), half way through a 2 week holiday, when the tent failed.
The nearest replacement tent is likely to be Inverness, Fort William, or maybe Oban, so you've several subsequent night's accommodation to find and pay for, unbooked, before you could get one; if you bought cheap rail tickets they are only valid on the journeys specified, so abandoning the tour and going home could cost replacement full price tickets, plus accommodation whilst reaching the station.

I don't think it matters much if the tent is made in China, Peru, Egypt, England or Estonia if that happens. If it fails it's failed regardless of where it was made.
We've certainly had good reason to trust our made in China Decathlon tents and I think a lot of people trust their made in China Terra Nova Quasar tents in very extreme conditions. The Chinese are not stupid people and making a decent quality tent is hardly beyond their capabilities.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

My most recent tent purchase was made in Vietnam...

Agree, if it fails it does not matter where it is made or what brand it is. You have to cope with that no matter.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote:Can you clarify which (Chinese?) tent you are referring to?

Naturehike . . . as stated previously.
John