Old inner tubes, or just get new to cut up?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Old inner tubes, or just get new to cut up?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I have a couple of flasks which are just a bit too slim to fit into a bottle cage.
Solution - pad them out with sections of old inner tube.

I'm now about to search through the archaeology of my various useful parts containers to see if I do have any old inner tubes.
I don't remember replacing any tubes in the last few years.

However looking at the price of new inner tubes and seeing them at £4 or less each including delivery it seems almost foolish to search for old ones when I could sacrifice one new tube to the fettling kit to pad out multiple bottles and have loads left over for padding accessory clamps and other useful things.

Which I suppose leaves the question, how sensible is it to buy a new tube, then fit it to the bike and use the old tube for scrap?
The risk is pinching the new tube whilst fitting.
The effort to change the tube may not be massive but is it worth it for £4 or less?
I presume that I should at least use the oldest unused tube from stock and replace it with the new tube as a spare.

Yeah, I know, 1st world problem. :oops:
pwa

Re: Old inner tubes, or just get new to cut up?

Post by pwa »

Have a good rummage around your old stuff first. If you don't do that, what are you keeping it for?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

If it will make you feel better - and why not?? - I'll post you a couple at cost (or for charidee donation, if you prefer!)

M
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

inner tubes vary in quality (often in an unpredictable way) ; the rubber in many is not really suitable for any exposed use, because it will soon crack. The only reason why such tubes have an acceptable life under normal circumstances is because they are -for the most part- kept away from heat, light, and moisture when they are inside a tyre.

So whether it is a new or old tube, it is pot luck really.

FWIW I would ask for an old tube or two at the LBS; they are always throwing them away.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d brush up on your tyre fitting if you’re in fear of nipping a tube. I think the last time I did that I was a teenager.
I’ve used old socks on a flask to stop it rattling in a cage. A few wraps of gaffer tape might do it also.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The problem with old inner tubes is that they degrade when exposed to UV.
Idea; if you have any old neoprene overshoes or an old wornout wetsuit you could make a sleeve out of them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bits of old tyre can be used as well, tread bit or sidewall depending on thickness needed. Easy to cut with a pair of decent timplate snips.
I have used it to help hold a trangia bottle in a cage.
Sweep
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Thanks, as usual, including the point that my proposed solution may not be the best one.

I am reluctant to use Gaffer Tape because I may want to remove the padding at some point, or only fit it when I want to use the flask/bottle.
Cleaning all the residual sticky off isn't always easy.

I may have a sheet of truly ancient neoprene somewhere (we are talking early '70s here) so that is an interesting thought.

Again, I could pad the bottle cage with fuel line or similar.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Thanks, as usual, including the point that my proposed solution may not be the best one.

I am reluctant to use Gaffer Tape because I may want to remove the padding at some point, or only fit it when I want to use the flask/bottle.
Cleaning all the residual sticky off isn't always easy.

I may have a sheet of truly ancient neoprene somewhere (we are talking early '70s here) so that is an interesting thought.

Again, I could pad the bottle cage with fuel line or similar.

Is it a bendable bottle cage that can be "adjusted"?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rjb

Post by rjb »

You can buy new ones from pound shops. Just don't ask how much they cost. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

You can also buy 'stubby coolers' -neoprene sleeves to hold drinks cans very cheaply in the usual online shops. That way you could remove when washing the bottle and you get some extra insulation?
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

geocycle wrote:You can also buy 'stubby coolers' -neoprene sleeves to hold drinks cans very cheaply in the usual online shops. That way you could remove when washing the bottle and you get some extra insulation?

Darn and poot, I think.

Bought one or two in Oz a few years back and never used them since because they don't fit UK stubbies.

I think they were donated, but I will look.

Edit: I could also wrap a plastic bag round under the Gaffer Tape to aid easy and clean removal.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

To pad out flask try simple "green" solution.
Recycle a JIFFY BAG/padded envelope.
Stops any rattling in cage and also extra insulation.

First time I did this clubmate pointed to address and said-
His mam has put that on in case he gets lost!!
! was 73 then!
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Brucey wrote:inner tubes vary in quality (often in an unpredictable way) ; the rubber in many is not really suitable for any exposed use, because it will soon crack.

Some of them are very stable when exposed to UV etc. At our last house I slipped a length of old inner tube over a chain that I was using to padlock a wooden gate. We were in that house 18 years, and when we left, the inner tube didn't appear to have deteriorated at all from exposure to the sun and elements. I think it was a Schwalbe tube...