Hubba Hubba nx2 alternative

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
matt2matt2002

Hubba Hubba nx2 alternative

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Nearly about to splash the cash for the NX2 after a lot of consideration. Weight size etc.
Anyone any thoughts on an alternative?
Thanks
Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
leftpoole

Re: Hubba Hubba nx2 alternative

Post by leftpoole »

Anything but MSR tents. Great stoves of course.
My opinion only
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Have had the idea for a while that they are somewhat expensive, over clever, too delicate.
Willing to be educated.
Declaration of interest - minimal weight isn't a big priority for me.
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks folks
As it's a Xmas and birthday present, cost isn't a question.
Value and alternatives, are.
I'd be interested to hear of any negatives about the tent.
Thanks
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mrs Whoof used one for a four month tour, Europe end to end including lots of rain and pretty rotten weather throughout the whole of Norway. She was very pleased with the way the tent performed and had no problems.

I've been using a Terra Nova Voyager for past 16 years. Had to reproof, one split pole section (easily replaced), replaced (by Terra Nova) a zip and the fly sheet seams 're glued. Good tent, well p!eased with it.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks Woof
Any issues with storage on the Voyager being at the head rather than side of the tent?
I kinda got use to side storage with my long gone Banshee.
The MSR has 2 side doors and storage there.
Maybe not fair to compare those points.
But your thoughts on ' head' storage appreciated.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Storage depends on how many people are in the tent.

If I'm on my own I put the sleeping bag on one side and then have room on the other if I want anything else inside. I keep a couple of panniers and possibly a stove and some food in the porch, again to one side but there's room to get in an out.

When there are two us (many would not want to have two people in a two person tent but fortunately our combined weight is about 120 kg) then the porch can be pretty cluttered with luggage. If I need to get up in the night I have to then move a couple of panniers inside to get past and put them back afterwards. Could be an issue for some I've not found to be a big problem.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think these US style inner first tents are better for hot weather use than in the cold and wet: when it rains the inner tent gets wet before you can pitch the outer, and the same applies when you take them down. That said they are often light and have excellent ventilation. We have used Hilleberg for years and still do for colder wetter weather. However, we bought an MSR Zoic 3 for our summer trip in Italy, and it was very nice: light, spacious and well ventilated. So I also bought a Zoic 1 for my solo trips. I would not like to be in one on an exposed hill in Scotland or Norway in the Fall, however (for that I will take one of our Hileberg or Helsport tents any time). I note the Zoics are now deeply discounted in the Netherlands. One complaint: MSR have been a bit mean with guy lines and stakes. You will need to add a few. And the bag that the Zoic 3 comes in is very tight and leaves no space for the footprint (the one for the Zoic 1 is much better in this respect).
Last edited by willem jongman on 9 Dec 2019, 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.
hamster

Post by hamster »

+1 on the Voyager. Bought the first and replaced with the same after 25 years. Personally the the ultralight version looked a step too far, went for the standard and am very happy with it after 3 years use.
The mesh flysheet on the MSR was the main thing that put me off - fine for the warmer US summers, not so good in northern Europe.

Side or end doors is a personal thing - I don't like side as they tip water when opened, although I have a Zephyros for travelling solo so it's not an absolute deal-breaker. I like being able to point the Voyager's low tail into the wind if the weather is bad, although it needs something stuffed into the mesh end to stop it getting too draughty.
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

I used a Hubba Hubba solo in Mongolia this year and frankly hated it. The main reason is the fly sheet doesn't go to the floor and with little room inside, things gets wet/sand gets in. Hilleberg every time for me, yes pricey, but divide cost by days used and it's a great investment
Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'd also avoid a tent with large areas of mesh in the inner, unless it was as a second hot weather only tent.

A euro-style tent with solid inner and down-to-the-ground outer can warm up enough to be quite comfortable inside, which can save on carrying extra warm clothing if you do something like try to avoid the Scottish midge season (which likely means overnight temperatures not far above zero).

If I was picking a tent now, I think I'd probably go for a Tarptent Scarp 1 (as the "generous space for one" version of a 2-man tent).
As it is, it's waiting on the 13 year old Akto dying, which doesn't seem likely to happen in the foreseeable future.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I've owned a Hubba Hubba NX for a couple of years. It's a good tent, easy to put up/pack away and pretty lightweight.

Pitching inner-first has never been a problem for me, and I've put the tent up in all weathers. Yes, the inner will get wet if it's a downpour, but in those conditions you'll probably be waiting for things to quieten down. In regular rain/drizzle it takes only a couple of mins to go from unpacking the tent to putting the fly on so there's not much opportunity for the inner to get wet.

Size-wise the tent's really comfortable for one person and a bit of a squeeze for two. There's still enough space for 2 mats and sleeping bags but not much else.

Can't really think of any real downsides tbh
dim

Post by dim »

Neil Wheadon wrote: Hilleberg every time for me, yes pricey, but divide cost by days used and it's a great investment
Neil

I will be buying a 2 man Hilleberg but will look for a good used one on Ebay
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

dim wrote:

The prices don't go down nearly as much as you'd like to think...

Hille's range has lots of 2 man tents because there are lots of niches they fit in to. What in particular do you want from it? An Anjan 2 and a Tarra are both "2 man Hilleberg" but they're aimed at very different jobs.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
dim

Post by dim »

pjclinch wrote:
dim wrote:

The prices don't go down nearly as much as you'd like to think...

Hille's range has lots of 2 man tents because there are lots of niches they fit in to. What in particular do you want from it? An Anjan 2 and a Tarra are both "2 man Hilleberg" but they're aimed at very different jobs.

Pete.

Hi Pete .... I will be buying used off Ebay and will look at spending between £500-£600 but then it must be in very good condition

I like the Hilleberg Nammatj 2 but will look at similar other Hilleberg tents when the time comes and I have the cash

I'm not planning to use it during winter and icy conditions, and my 1st cycling touring trip will be in May / June 2020 along a part of the Wild Atlantic way in Ireland ( wild camping/fishing where I can, and the rest will be in B&B etc).... I really enjoy fishing and want to combine that with cycle touring

I've also been looking at the Hebrides for 2020 aswell as along the coast of Scotland, but I'm not sure if I will get time off work, or if my wife will let me :lol: