BBC have stopped iplayer

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
DNC123

BBC have stopped iplayer

Post by DNC123 »

If you are on a Samsung TV then BBC have put out changes to iplayer that mean you can no longer watch it on many models. No warning from this state monopoly (We'll get more of this if Jerry gets in) and the best that Samsung can offer is an update sometime next year.

Intetweb is full of angst but the [ another tedious repetition ] at beeb just shrug their extremely well paid shoulders <SNIP>. Well they do have an election to rig, sorry cover.

Anyone else suffering? I can't watch the Repair Shop, and I'm damned if I'm going to watch Kuensberg.
squeaker

Re: BBC have stopped iplayer

Post by squeaker »

Roku ;) (Other players available.)

No easy cure for your right wing conspiracy theories, though :lol:
"42"
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Isn't this a Samsung problem, not a BBC one? There are other ways of getting iplayer to display on a TV. It's part of the problem of Smart TVs, they become obsolete. I'm more annoyed with the BBC for replacing the Iplayer Radio App with the terrible BBC Sounds which is horrible to use.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Well you convinced me :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As much as I like to knock the BBC I think your gripe might be better pointed at Samsung. The BBC haven’t stopped Iplayer I was watching it last night because the weather was so bad our satellite signal kept breaking up.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

Paulatic wrote:As much as I like to knock the BBC I think your gripe might be better pointed at Samsung. The BBC haven’t stopped Iplayer I was watching it last night because the weather was so bad our satellite signal kept breaking up.

Yup, we were watching it last night too. Tonight they give a message telling us to update TV. No updates available. Seems BBC have put out some changes to iPlayer and thousands of Samsung TVs are no longer able to receive iPlayer. No warning, they just did it. Lots of complaints going round but looks like Samsung knew nothing about it either.

What's this Roku stuff? How does that work?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Postboxer wrote:Isn't this a Samsung problem, not a BBC one? There are other ways of getting iplayer to display on a TV. It's part of the problem of Smart TVs, they become obsolete. I'm more annoyed with the BBC for replacing the Iplayer Radio App with the terrible BBC Sounds which is horrible to use.

It is also a BBC problem with iplayer basically not following any of the available standards and BBC frequently making incompatible changes that leaves Free/Libre Open Source apps scrambling to update to regain service after a few days once someone works out what changed and shares the fix - and proprietary app users with no service for longer possibly forever.

If the BBC had tried to run broadcast radio and TV like this, with only receivers of a few approved manufacturers being allowed to work fully, it would never have caught on!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

Postboxer wrote:There are other ways of getting iplayer to display on a TV.

Can you give someone with no tech knowledge a clue?
I've looked at Roku but don't understand the adverts!!! Too many different models that do things that I don't really need.
Feel pretty aggrieved that I might have to splash out more cash. Grrr.
My TV has a 5 year warranty from 15 December 2014, so I'm just inside that. Wonder what John Lewis will say?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It’s a Samsung problem - caused by a BBC change which has nothing to do with politics.

Smart TVs are, like phones, abandoned by manufacturers after “not long enough” and that is the problem.

I am looking at upgrading our TV, and have *no* interest in smart features (because I have external devices - I just want a screen with volume/power remotely controlled and a handful of hdmi inputs.

Oh well - a disconnected smart tv is just a TV, however will I manage :lol:

(Oscillopsia and hearing loss mean I need *big* subtitles, so am looking at a size boost. What’s nice is that our current screen has mahoosive bezels, so the “box” size won’t need to increase too much.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

CX-3 wrote:
Postboxer wrote:There are other ways of getting iplayer to display on a TV.

Can you give someone with no tech knowledge a clue?

Roku (small black mains powered box under TV - connects to TV via HDMI port) - yet another remote though! Uses wifi signal for i-player and loads more on-line stuff... At £24 (when I bought ours) much less painful to upgrade when needed (compared to new TV), although will currently get software upgrades via WiFi.
Attachments
IMG_20191209_191944488.jpg
"42"
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Don’t think it was out of the blue https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/ques ... osure-2019 but what is surprising is it troubles TVs Samsung have sold right upto 2018.

We can watch iplayer through the Freesat box or the Mac. I’ve noticed we sometimes get buffering from the box but never from the Mac.

E2E info
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The chutzpah of that quote: "they are unable to support the technical requirements needed to keep BBC iPlayer going"

Really, BBC? Encoding video and delivering it over the internet has suddenly become more complicated over the past few days? No, I didn't think so either.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Have you followed the instructions from Samsung?
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-a ... re-update/

E2E info
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Postboxer wrote:Roku (small black mains powered box under TV - connects to TV via HDMI port) - yet another remote though! Uses wifi signal for i-player and loads more on-line stuff... At £24 (when I bought ours) much less painful to upgrade when needed (compared to new TV), although will currently get software upgrades via WiFi.

That may or may not be the same as the NowTV stick (£25 from Amazon). We've had one for a year or so, works well for all the catchup services and comes with various other apps like YouTube, TED, etc.

Edit: £14.99 direct from NowTV, so pretty much a no-brainer.

https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:The chutzpah of that quote: "they are unable to support the technical requirements needed to keep BBC iPlayer going"

Really, BBC? Encoding video and delivering it over the internet has suddenly become more complicated over the past few days? No, I didn't think so either.

Software gets updated, systems change. Samsung were obviously aware of this as they've produced updates for many of their TVs. Our Samsung is suffering but there's a quick and easy fix until the new software comes out in January. Our other TV , a Sony, has no problems.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker