Sticky shifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nirakaro

Sticky shifter

Post by nirakaro »

The upshift on my Sora 9-speed shifter is getting a bit sluggish. It happens more in some gears than others, and the cable is fairly new, so I'm guessing the issue's with the shifter, not the cable, and could be improved with a clean-and-lube. I'm thinking, squirt some WD40 in, leave it overnight, then generous dry chain-lube. Is that the right approach?
hemo

Re: Sticky shifter

Post by hemo »

Have you though of using graphite powder for lubing much better then WD or dry chain lube.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

be sure that it is the shifter and not the RD or the cable which is dragging.

Use WD40 or GT85 to free the mechanism off, then use aerosol semi-fluid grease to lube the STI. IME this lube lasts for several years at a time.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

IME it is often just a dry pivot on the sprung ratchet peg that causes problems such as yours. I cannot recall the innards of that unit but the pivot is invariably visible on removal of the plastic shroud on most Shimano 7/8/9 speed shifters. I have just applied a drop of light oil to the pivot and rotated the peg several times to work the lube in.
If, on the other hand it is obvious that dirt or corrosion has got in the more thorough approach already outlined is more appropriate.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

This is typical of the Sora shifters. The ratchets start to ‘bur’ ( they shed bits of plastic ). They aren’t designed to be stripped down easily, it’s easier to replace them, however they can be stripped, and the bits replaced. eBay et.al. is a good resource.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Don’t be too quick to dismiss the cable before pulling apart, did you replace outer as well as the inner cables, on one bike I had where the cable became sticky the problem was the cable guide under the bottom bracket had worn. New cables can fray as well.
NUKe

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

NUKe wrote:Don’t be too quick to dismiss the cable before pulling apart, did you replace outer as well as the inner cables, on one bike I had where the cable became sticky the problem was the cable guide under the bottom bracket had worn. New cables can fray as well.

Quite right, as the outers get worn, the shifts can start to get very ‘heavy’ particularly if new inners are put in old outers. It may just be a squirt of GT85 or similar down the outer works, but I tend to just replace the inners and outers, when they stiffen up. The cable guides under the frame are another good culprit, they do wear out / get jammed up with all sorts.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Squirt of WD40
Leave overnight
Squirt of aerosol grease
All now good as new.
fredwinter

Post by fredwinter »

Good advice above. I always clean out the shifters first. Has worked every time.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:be sure that it is the shifter and not the RD or the cable which is dragging.

Use WD40 or GT85 to free the mechanism off, then use aerosol semi-fluid grease to lube the STI. IME this lube lasts for several years at a time.

cheers

Plus one
Excessive side slop in the chain could also be a cause too,even though it isn't showing workout in length.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden