** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

Oldjohnw wrote:People sometimes speak of the idea of keep having referenda until you get he result you want.

Is that a bit like May and Johnson keep having elections until they get the result they want?

Okay so I want to leave you want to stay, Let's get that one out the way for whatever reasons we have.
In stark contrast to the torys Corby wants to renegotiate the deal, so he's not abandoning the deal or automatically saying we will stay.
The second part is just another referendum, in his two stage campaign to sort out Brexit.

Let's say Labour win the election, or even gets a landslide victory and a majority.
The deal will have to be different and be more favourable than the one let's say That has slim-ly been passed by the MPs.
Then the EU will have to okay it.
Then we have the second referendum, which will still be in or out for everybody.
Corby says six months?
So I think myself why not just negotiate another deal in three months and leave?

I think that because Corby has never favoured leave or remain, And doesn't want to state so, is why we are getting two bites.
So what's going to happen-
Labour wins And that's a majority.
Negotiates a new deal in three months.
Second referendum and we stay.
That's assuming it all stays to schedule and EU play ball.

Second scenario –
Labour wins but not a majority.
The schedule for a New deal does not go to plan.
We never get to the second part.

You know the third scenario.

you might wish to scrap the whole thing and stay.
I might wish to leave tomorrow.
But putting that aside which scenario do you think is most likely to happen?

If we think along "Horizon's" gentleman's approach (which I favour) It's still clear as mud and just a sticky as porridge that's cold porridge.

The general election will solve nothing of course.
Because it will be another polarised in out.
In the slim chance Labour wins this will still finish with another in out.
So we are just biding our time, The result is probably inevitable and already sown.

if the boot was on the other foot for me, I might wish to scrap the whole thing and stay.
But is this the democratic way?
Put it this way if you wanted to leave would you be happy with scrapping the whole thing today?

The can of worms has already been opened The seeds are sown and we are just going to have to accept the results.

Mob rule?
it simply not going to happen, there are too many sane people on all sides meaning it will simply be a nonstarter.

Is it democratic, It might not fit in with your view of the democracy or mine, But like horizon says it will all come down to what people want what people feel they want not facts and figures.

Edited- sorry. Auto correct.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Very unexciting two heads debate. Obviously both candidates had been fully briefed to avoid gaffes. Punches landed by both sides but deflected by prepared statements. The election auction looks more favourable on the Labour side but there are huge public misgivings over whether the cost can be covered. I believe its the same for the Tories. But the outstanding carbuncle remains Brexit and I think that will be the decisive factor which after all is what this election is all about.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The vast majority of posters on this ever-so-long thread are staunch remainers. Where will you all be putting your X on the ballot paper tomorrow?
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

Mick F wrote:The vast majority of posters on this ever-so-long thread are staunch remainers. Where will you all be putting your X on the ballot paper tomorrow?

I imagine most cyclists are on the green/left of centre politically? Am I wrong?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think you are correct. We've done the Political Compass test a few times on here, and just about all of the contributors were left/liberals, including me.

I still want us out of the EU, but more than that, I want rid of the all the Tories. If that means we remain, so be it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:I think you are correct. We've done the Political Compass test a few times on here, and just about all of the contributors were left/liberals, including me.

I still want us out of the EU, but more than that, I want rid of the all the Tories. If that means we remain, so be it.

Now there is some sensible, pragmatic thinking.

+1
John
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Mick F wrote:The vast majority of posters on this ever-so-long thread are staunch remainers. Where will you all be putting your X on the ballot paper tomorrow?

Labour.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Undecided between Labour and Green. Will decide in the booth probably.

It matters little as the seat is ultra safe Tory - would go green except for a nagging doubt that Labour are likely second, and in the (ultra unlikely) circumstances McVey won by a single vote I'd never forgive myself!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:I think you are correct. We've done the Political Compass test a few times on here, and just about all of the contributors were left/liberals, including me.

I can't go that far.
You've just moved a bit further left Mick.
now you are happy to stay if you can get rid of the other side.
Changing EU connections that are set in stone Come once a lifetime.
But you will probably see another GE in your lifetime
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Undecided between Labour and Green. Will decide in the booth probably.

It matters little as the seat is ultra safe Tory - would go green except for a nagging doubt that Labour are likely second, and in the (ultra unlikely) circumstances McVey won by a single vote I'd never forgive myself!

Similar here. All non Tory votes together at last election did not reach the Tory figure. I am not aware of any change so I will probably vote Green. It is important that their message is recognised and spread as widely as possible. Numbers matter.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:

Now there is some sensible, pragmatic thinking.

+1

I agree.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I can't go that far.
You've just moved a bit further left Mick.
now you are happy to stay if you can get rid of the other side.
Changing EU connections that are set in stone Come once a lifetime.
But you will probably see another GE in your lifetime
I haven't moved anywhere.

I'm a Left Liberal, always have been, but I have also always been wanting us out of the EU.
Shouldn't have joined in the first place!

Do the Political Compass test again if you want. I'm still equated with Gandhi.
https://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks for your replies, Mick and all. Yes I probably subscribe or did subscribe to the same view - left/green leaning long time labour supporter, voted for Brexit on the basis the EU is what the French call a pagaille. I don't want Iraqi and Syrian refugees locked up in Greek and Serbian concentration camps in my name by EU officials commandeering what is effectively our British immigration policy. What I hadn't counted on was our ability to construct an even bigger mess ourselves while being rude and condescending to everyone in the EU - especially the Irish. So, I have reformed to being a remainer and would rather my neighbour's cat ran the government than the Tories.
robing

Post by robing »

So this election is supposedly all about Brexit. Just remember 4 years ago nobody was bothered about it or had even heard of it .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nez wrote: ............ and would rather my neighbour's cat ran the government than the Tories.
:lol: :lol:
Wonderful!

We have three cats, and parrot, and a young border collie.
Any one of them, or all five, could make a better job than any of the Tories.
Mick F. Cornwall