** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:I used to wonder how Germany in the 1930s let it happen. Now I think I know.
I was up early to hear how things have gone.

It has been a sad night of results, and I agree with your point entirely.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

....looks like all the fick people hadn't changed their minds after all..... :wink:
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Just as I expected the majority of people are wrong and the CUK Marxists s are right.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

A brilliant result for democracy. You can hear liberal reality bubbles pop pop popping. Very satisying that the odious Jo Swinson was put to the sword.
:D
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Oldjohnw wrote:I used to wonder how Germany in the 1930s let it happen. Now I think I know.

The most succinct comment on the results. I simultaneously despise and pity those who have chosen to live under the Boris Boot.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

horizon wrote:
TrevA wrote:
. . . it looks like the Red Wall is crumbling

I think it is time it did crumble. It is hard to see how a political party can straddle the aspirations of a young entrepreneur in Hackney and an ex-miner in Doncaster. Although I identify strongly with Corbyn, I never felt comfortable with the Labour party.

There is a natural majority amongst the young for internationalism, the EU, environmentalism and multi-ethnicity. None of those ideas have found root in Labour's traditional working class voters and it's time they were allowed to find their own home. Boris has offered them lodging for the time being and, let's face it, there were other far less attractive hosts out there.

So how do you think the Tory party can represent the aspirations of a hedge fund manager in London and an ex miner in Donny?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

windmiller wrote:A brilliant result for democracy. You can hear liberal reality bubbles pop pop popping. Very satisying that the odious Jo Swinson was put to the sword.
:D

You might care to note that more votes went to parties campaigning for a second referendum than not (split 52:48!). Looking at the popular vote democracy seems largely absent.

Of course, i agree that both Swinson and Corbyn were disasters. I voted for neither.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 13 Dec 2019, 7:45am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

bikepacker wrote:Just as I expected the majority of people are wrong and the CUK Marxists s are right.

Turkeys: Christmas

I can't wait to see the faces on those who voted Tory when another vicious round of austerity kicks in, they have the NHS rug slow but sure pulled out from underneath, medicines go up 40%, paid holidays disappear, Brexit postponed till 2027 and Britain broken up into smaller and smaller pieces. And then Trump and his Eviscerators move in. Carve up anything thats still breathing.

Good job lemmings... :oops:
pwa

Post by pwa »

I didn't vote. I couldn't face voting for our Tory candidate and my anger at Labour's deafness towards its heartland voters means that I would prefer not to vote at all. I can't remember doing that before in a General Election.

I might hope that this dismal performance would make Labour come to its senses but if the musings of Labour supporters on this Forum is anything to go by, that is a faint hope. Blame the electorate and sing songs on the fore deck as the ship goes down. I despair of Labour.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Can we declare a national day of mourning?

So I now live in a country where 45% of the population are daft enough to be manipulated into supporting a minority government which our broken electoral system awards a massive majority.

Only those of us who lived through the Thatcher years can have a clear idea of what is going to happen next - and it wont be pretty!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I think will make Thatcher era look positively benign.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Stradageek wrote:Can we declare a national day of mourning?

So I now live in a country where 45% of the population are daft enough to be manipulated into supporting a minority government which our broken electoral system awards a massive majority.

Only those of us who lived through the Thatcher years can have a clear idea of what is going to happen next - and it wont be pretty!

My same thoughts on waking this morning.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

djnotts wrote:I think will make Thatcher era look positively benign.

I think you are wrong about that. The mood music is different. The Tories now have, and will wish to retain, Labour heartland seats. Combine that with Boris's comments about working for all sections of society and I think you will get something more like One Nation Tory government. You will still find lots of things you don't like about it but it will not be a repeat of Thatcherism.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think a big Tory majority is most calculated to frustrate the SNP's ambition, despite their success.

It would be a bit naughty for the new government to oppose Scotland's right to self-determination.

And the Tories would give a monkeys because exactly why? They can win without Scotland, clearly, so would they really care.

Oh I don't know: I guess I keep hoping for decent governments that feel a bit of shame in ignoring one of the key articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and condemnation of that by the international communiity.

irc wrote:Almost every poll has shown a majority for remain in UK.

Why does that matter?

If there is to be another indyref it should be after Brexit is done, dusted, and settled in. 2026 at the earliest.

Why? That smells like trying to change the question.

The SNP got a majority of Scottish seats last time on 39% of the vote. So 60% (guessing Greens were around 1%) voted for unionist parties. Lets see what they get this time.

Well, that's the current electoral system. It seems absurd to accept the rUK result while denying the Scottish result.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
horizon wrote:
TrevA wrote:
. . . it looks like the Red Wall is crumbling

I think it is time it did crumble. It is hard to see how a political party can straddle the aspirations of a young entrepreneur in Hackney and an ex-miner in Doncaster. Although I identify strongly with Corbyn, I never felt comfortable with the Labour party.

There is a natural majority amongst the young for internationalism, the EU, environmentalism and multi-ethnicity. None of those ideas have found root in Labour's traditional working class voters and it's time they were allowed to find their own home. Boris has offered them lodging for the time being and, let's face it, there were other far less attractive hosts out there.

So how do you think the Tory party can represent the aspirations of a hedge fund manager in London and an ex miner in Donny?

the fick northern ex labour voter will soon learn that, serves them right