** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
carpetcleaner

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by carpetcleaner »

Johnocyprus wrote:Is it time to wrap this thread up? We’re going to leave the EU. Can we move on?

After reading this forum I think the answer to that is probably no.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Yep, the family silver will be pawned I think, just to fulfil a slogan. And there won't be a damn thing anyone can do. Gobble gobble gobble.

Naive thinking there is any family silver left.

John.

But we're the 6th largest economy in the world - there's bound to be lots. :lol:

Is that a serious reply ?

John.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Johnocyprus wrote:Is it time to wrap this thread up? We’re going to leave the EU. Can we move on?

Well no, the EU will still be there, 20 miles over the channel, and there has not yet been anything approaching an honest debate about what our relationship with them should be.

That's true both within the leave and remain communities.

So you can expect this toxicity to go on for many years to come, as the inevitable compromises are made, and howls of betrayal accompany them.

You didn't take Johnson's slogan seriously, did you?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
Naive thinking there is any family silver left.

John.

But we're the 6th largest economy in the world - there's bound to be lots. :lol:

Is that a serious reply ?

John.

Are you, in turn, seriously asking me whether mine was a serious reply, or are you out-ironying me? :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

Well no, the EU will still be there, 20 miles over the channel, and there has not yet been anything approaching an honest debate about what our relationship with them should be.

That's true both within the leave and remain communities.

So you can expect this toxicity to go on for many years to come, as the inevitable compromises are made, and howls of betrayal accompany them.

That's the worst of it,like WW1 people thinking it'll be all over for Christmas,the problem being no one said which Christmas :?

You didn't take Johnson's slogan seriously, did you?

I strongly suspect many people unfortunately did :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I don't think the majority of people think it will be over on 30/1/20 - they just wanted to at least start getting it over, iyswim!
horizon

Post by horizon »

I went through a mental list of all my extended family and was hard pressed to find anyone who wasn't directly or indirectly affected by Brexit and has practical difficulties to face and will have for years to come. Wrapping it up for us isn't an option.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

horizon wrote:

I went through a mental list of all my extended family and was hard pressed to find anyone who wasn't directly or indirectly affected by Brexit and has practical difficulties to face and will have for years to come. Wrapping it up for us isn't an option.

Sugar coating it is going to be a grave error imo for Boris and the party. When the enormity and complexity of it really starts to unravel a lot of people are going to be very very angry and very disappointed. It took Canada 7 long years to negotiate a relatively simple trade agreement with the EU. For Brexit think double. Johnson has promised much, but can't deliver. How he spins his multiple failures will be interesting to watch. But to imagine Britain can leave the EU in 2020, or even 2022 is absolutely fanciful.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

One of the basic errors - We are not!

We are entering a half-way house during which Boris et al will sell their souls, the NHS and anything else they can get hold in their desperation to make trade deals

We are NOT out of the EU, despite the lies and propaganda otherwise
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

When the Bill of departure is signed at the end of January we will be out. Johnson can easily get it through now. Then the trade negotiation started.
John
Debs

Post by Debs »

Mick F wrote:There's going to be many millions of people sorely disappointed.
I gave up worrying about Brexit. I'd rather have have Labour in and not the Horrible Tories at all.

I'd forego Brexit just for that.

Pragmatic thinking of you Mick, but if Labour had won the GE, Brexit would not have been forgone without a proper confirmation with a People Vote, of which remains a seriously needed democratic necessity.

That democratic right has been radically denied the UK peoples, and as it remains now, Brexit is certainly not the will of the people, and certainly not democratic, but merely a well hatched con-job by the will of Brexit/Tory ERG Party ideologists.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Mick F. Cornwall
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Oldjohnw wrote:When the Bill of departure is signed at the end of January we will be out. Johnson can easily get it through now. Then the trade negotiation started.

We'll be neither in nor out. IF the departure Bill is voted through in January, it will be the start of a long transition period to get the trade agreement. Like I said, it took Canada 7 years to get a relatively simple trade deal with EU, the deal the UK will have to strike well be infinite more complex. Think 10-15 years and you'll be part way there.

A lot of people on this forum will be dead and buried, before brexit is finally 'done'. Believe the lies of Boris all you like, but it ain't happening any time soon.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Oldjohnw wrote:When the Bill of departure is signed at the end of January we will be out. Johnson can easily get it through now. Then the trade negotiation started.

The Washington Post summed the situation up well [ https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... story.html]

"Now Britain is expected to leave on Jan. 31 and enter an 11-month limbo state, in which little will change in the day-to-day lives of U.K. and E.U. citizens. Britain will still be subject to E.U. rules and will be able to trade with Europe as if it were a full-fledged member. But leaders will have to make a furious dash to reach a trade deal and work out their post-Brexit relationship before Dec. 31, 2020, when the transition period is set to end. Failure could mean the same jump-off-the-cliff breakup that both sides have said they dearly want to avoid."

The people expecting cheap New Zealand lamb in the shops (as my mother in law confidently does) or their Polish neighbours being deported in early Feb are in for disappointment.

Johnson now has to deliver an exit which will both avoid economic damage to the UK and meet his supporters demands for conspicuous evidence of departure. This raises the question over whether that is actually possible and which one he will prioritise if it turns out he cannot have both.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:There's going to be many millions of people sorely disappointed.
I gave up worrying about Brexit. I'd rather have have Labour in and not the Horrible Tories at all.

I'd forego Brexit just for that.

Traitor :mrgreen:
Only kidding Mick :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.