Cairo to Cape Town, record for +50year old?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Kapalasa

Cairo to Cape Town, record for +50year old?

Post by Kapalasa »

Can anyone advise if they know the current cycling record / time from Cairo to Cape Town, for a +50year old male?
mattheus

Re: Cairo to Cape Town, record for +50year old?

Post by mattheus »

(as the tumbleweed is starting to gather … )

I don't think any prominent body monitors these things (Guinness tend not to be this specific, except certain routes. The RRA lists routes within the UK, the americans have a similar body, etc ...). So you could ask similar record holders?

Mark Beaumont did something similar - he may in fact be the overall record holder. He's quite active on twitter, you could ask him there.
Dr Ian Walker (Prof?) holds the North-South Europe record - he might know something too. Also on twitter IIRC.

Good luck!
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Thanks Mattheus. I'll try contacting the people you mentioned. I think it's safe to say Mark Beaumont's record will be safe! :D
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Jonas Diechman recently completed Cape to Cape in x73 days unsupported. Sure is not 50 just yet.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I found stuff on the web. You just need to dig a bit.

Mark Beaumont's record has now been beaten.

If you google Mark you will find someone who he beat (a Dutchman from memory). Look him up and you will find he contacted Tour d'Afrique who run this as a tour and had a record time. They have a list of winners each year. No mention of age.

I'd contact Td'A as they are probably the most knowledgeable on this.
Last edited by simonhill on 18 Dec 2019, 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebulous

Post by Nebulous »

My initial reaction is, why?

Having done this trip (solo and slowly*) in both directions, I'd like to offer some 'advice'. Unless you're a real masochist (with well oiled logistical support), racing through this continent is an exercise in deprivation and frustration.

Tarmac looks pretty much the same wherever you are.
A racing route will by necessity bypass the highlights. And those aren't just the tourist spots. It's the native (I use that word in its correct meaning) people who truly define any place.

Border crossings throughout Africa are not for the convenience of travellers.
8 or 9 if you take the classic eastern route. Factor in 'Africa Time' and that's probably 24 - 36 hours of bureaucracy.

Types and standards of both food and accommodation will be somewhat 'foreign' to your norms.
It's the native cultures and cuisines that truly define a place.

Cape to Cairo, by whatever means one chooses, will be an everlasting memory. Savour the journey. Don't rush through.

* First trip at age 50, second at 55.

Jan Marten

Proudly South African
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mark Beaumont clearly had a brilliant time when setting his record.

At his recent lecture (about the 80day supported RTW challenge), he couldn't help mentioning moments from the earlier Africa trip as his "most memorable".
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Thanks so much everyone. As suggested I'll contact the TDA etc. I'm sure I can learn from them.
I've previously travelled extensively in Africa, and have also done a 15month unsupported, solo bicycle tour through North, Central and South America. The C-CT I'm planning is very much a personal challenge, as opposed to a sight seeing trip.
I'll keep you updated on here as to how things progress