Hub Dynamo for winter commute.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dim

Re: Hub Dynamo for winter commute.

Post by dim »

PH wrote:
dim wrote:the funny thing is, many/most of the people who criticise are often the people who have no experience with it, and most probably have never ever seen one in real life either

here are UK cyclists who actually use it:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7782.0

I posted on that thread, 2008, as I said things have moved on. At the time I had an original symmetric beam Supernova dyno light, I used to get complaints.

Edit- I bump into a couple of the posters on that thread on Audax rides. They’re no longer using the triple.

OK ...

so last night I was asked to pop into the office ... left home at 17h30 and started cycling back home just after 7

no problems with the light riding through the city ...

however, when I got onto the cycle path between Cambridge rail station and Great Shelford (5km), there were many cyclists heading in the opposite direction (I must have passed at least 30)

I was cycling approx 24-26Km/hr .... one guy shouted something about 'Too Bright' .... an oncoming bus put his lights on bright, and most people who were heading towards me had their faces screwed up

I got home, and asked my son to ride my bike and I used another bike to see for myself

you guys were right .... it's way too bright :oops:

so, back to the drawing board now .... I really want to keep the Supernova E3 tail light, so I will need to pair it with one of the other Supernova front lights (I've emailed Supernova in Germany asking for their recomendations)

I will keep the E3 Triple front light for when I get my MTB
dim

Post by dim »

got a reply from Supernova ....

they have suggested the Supernova E3 Pro 2 ...

I've just checked SJS and they are £119

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/black-supernova-e3-pro-2-dynamo-front-light/
mig

Post by mig »

dim wrote:got a reply from Supernova ....

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/black-supernova-e3-pro-2-dynamo-front-light/

plus a bit more if you want a grey one :shock:
slowster

Post by slowster »

dim wrote: I really want to keep the Supernova E3 tail light, so I will need to pair it with one of the other Supernova front lights

Just as the E3 Triple was not a good choice, so too is their rear light not the optimal choice.

For riding in the dark (as opposed to using lights in the daytime) the best rear lights are not those which emit the most lumens. The best rear lights are those which have a large illuminated area, i.e. an illuminated 'patch' rather than a point light source.

The advantage of the illuminated patch is that it provides drivers approaching you from behind with more information about how far away you are and how quickly they will reach you. A point light source looks very little different from 300m or 50m away, and the huge variation in lumen output of all the different lights on the market means that the apparent brightness to a driver is a poor indicator of how close they are to you: a weak light very close may look the same as a very bright light half a mile away.

Furthermore, a relatively low output rear light with a large illuminated area is likely to be better for audax. Just as you have learned that other cyclists find your front light too bright and dazzling, similarly in a group at night other riders will not want to be behind you if you have an excessively bright rear light.

Have a look instead at the B&M lights with their Linetec technology, e.g. the Toplight Plus, and also the Spanninga Elips, which a number of forum users reckoned to be the best rear light on this thread.

Using one of those lights will allow you to choose whatever brand front light you want, rather than be restricted to Supernova. For audax I would get the Edelux 2 because I believe the aluminium housing is more weather resistant than the much cheaper B&M lights which use the same reflector and deliver a very similar performance.
PH

Post by PH »

dim wrote:

Nearly fell off my chair, I think you’ve broken the forum etiquette of sticking to whatever opinion you expressed first...
I liked the Supernova rear light, yes it’s not very group friendly, but it’s easier for a following rider to avoid being blinded by it. I had a couple of complaints when mounted at saddle height but not after I’d moved it to the rack.
It does tie you into using their front light and although they’re better than anything from a decade ago, the reflector types are noticeably better.
How much lonely dark lane riding do you do? If it’s a lot, I’d stick with my high/low beam theory and as you already have the high look for a battery low.
nez

Post by nez »

I have a Dynamo light front and rear plus I use a see sense light at the rear. It lasts for hours and has a pattern of flashes which changes when it senses different types of movement - slowing etc. I notice drivers give me lots of space when it’s on and a few cyclists have commented how noticeable it is. For rides out in dark country lanes I supplément the Dynamo front light with a strap on b&m Ixon speed. Works fine for me.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

dim wrote:
OK ...

when I got onto the cycle path between Cambridge rail station and Great Shelford (5km), there were many cyclists heading in the opposite direction (I must have passed at least 30)

I was cycling approx 24-26Km/hr .... one guy shouted something about 'Too Bright' ...

so, back to the drawing board now .... I really want to keep the Supernova E3 tail light, so I will need to pair it with one of the other Supernova front lights (I've emailed Supernova in Germany asking for their recomendations)

I will keep the E3 Triple front light for when I get my MTB

Good for you, your fellow Cambridge cyclists appreciate it. I was thinking of you whilst being irritated by an intensely bright rear light on my cycle home yesterday :)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

dim wrote:got a reply from Supernova ....

It may be an idea to look here before making your choice

https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests ... #koplampen
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

On my audax bike I run a Schmidt Son 28 dynamo hub powering a Schmidt Edelux MK1. 80% of the time it's more than adequate even for unlit country roads. To supplement it I use a Cateye volt 1700. This is so unbelievably bright I don't use it on group rides, and when cars approach I always point it down. Usually I find less is more. I've had the Edelux for about 10 years used it regularly, excellent build quality.
dim

Post by dim »

Thanks guys ....

I'm looking at the different models and so far I'm leaning towards the Edelux II ... I will also look for a suitable rear light
PH

Post by PH »

dim wrote:Thanks guys ....

I'm looking at the different models and so far I'm leaning towards the Edelux II ... I will also look for a suitable rear light

That is IMO the best light, the IQX has a slightly better beam, again IMO, but there’s a lot of stories about it’s lack of reliability, though mine has been fine. My current favourite rear light is the Elips, though ideally it needs a rack to fit it too.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

dim wrote:Thanks guys ....

That's what I use. Have had it for about 5 (?) years and it has always worked very well. I have a supplementary battery light in my bag but it's never been deployed. It is more than bright enough in town and adequate in pitch black country lanes. There are very few situations when I have felt I needed more light while travelling although I can understand why a simple helmet light is handy for looking for directions.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PH wrote:
dim wrote:

Nearly fell off my chair, I think you’ve broken the forum etiquette of sticking to whatever opinion you expressed first...

: D

God bless ye repenters :P
dim

Post by dim »

I found an interesting article with photo's of some of the lights (a German article):

https://www.baslerbikes.de/portfolio-reader/scheinwerfervergleich.html

herewith some links of a few of the lights: (The first photo is of the Supernova E3 pro 2 and not the triple 2)

at the end of the road is a bicyle and a man in a jacket ....
Last edited by dim on 23 Dec 2019, 3:55pm, edited 2 times in total.
dim

Post by dim »

Then there's also the new Supernova M99 MINI PRO B54 just released this month .....

The world’s brightest StVZO-approved battery front light with low beam and high beam. The battery is charged in just 2.5 h and provides up to 50 h of maximum lighting time

If I look at the photos of the beams on this light, and that it is STVZO approved, I'm starting to wonder that perhaps a dynamo light is 'old fashioned' now ....
Last edited by dim on 23 Dec 2019, 3:50pm, edited 1 time in total.