alfine 11 hub shell replacment?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
emaayan

Re: alfine 11 hub shell replacment?

Post by emaayan »

No the welding material simply interfered with the hub
meandros

Post by meandros »

emaayan wrote:No the welding material simply interfered with the hub

How exactly it interfere? When I got mine welded last week, some material overspill on the centerlock splines and a bit of bubbling was on the opposite, on the inside, but managed to file it all back to a workable shape. Only thing now is to weld the 6-bolt adapter on it so that I can mount the rotor.
emaayan

Post by emaayan »

I had more material
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I know nothing of these new fagled hubs.
I have a Nexus 7 Sg7 R41 which I know nothing of the history of, it has a well worn sprocket built on an Arya 700c Rim (and I think stainless spokes) seems to spin fine but can't comment on condition of internals, looks cosmetically fine . Happy for it to find anew home if it helps anyone? Probably have to be collect from West Midlands, it weighs a bit!
Evesie

Post by Evesie »

Only just found this thread - I had the exact same failure on my original S700 Alfine after ~3 years of MTB'ing. I was running a 160mm hope Mini brake setup, use was fairly enthusiastic, but I'm not particularly heavy at ~70kg.
Similar to the post originator, I found the hub shell alone was not available, the hub had also had a replacement axle assembly after 2 years due to a part of the axle guiding the selector system had broken away. So I decided to change to a S7000 8 speed, which has considerably more material around the junction between disc mount & main hub body & much cheaper! I ran this for 2 years without any major issues, but had to disable the "shift assist" pawls by removing material from one end of each pawl due to persistent engaging of the assist mechanism in first gear. This seem to be caused by the twisting of the two arms of the selector mechanism, which also means that the yellow lines no longer align for the correct cable adjustment... think that leaving these hubs in top gear when not in use to reduce time with loaded selector system is advisable. The S7000 is still OK, sorry about digression onto 8 speeds... but another 11 speed hub was offered to me with suspect internals, this has "Inter11" printed on the shell, but is the same as my original S700 with the same point of potential failure around the disc mount to main hub body junction, the junction here has no fillet radius either, which is poor design. So with this, together with the general material issues at this point, I decided that I had nothing to loose as the hub will fail eventually anyway, to machine a 0.5r fillet radius at the junction. This removes material yes, but should help stop generation of fatigue cracks, it's lasted 6 months so far, but only time will tell if it's worth doing. I suspect it will still fail as the amount of material here is inadequate.
meandros

Post by meandros »

Hi Evesie,

I must have disabled notifications on this thread and only now read your message.

I'm running three bikes with Alfine 11 hubs and have also equipped two of my friends' with Alfines. I have never seen this fatigue failure to the hubshell on any other version of the A11 other than the original with laser etched markings SGS700. Running the newer SGS700 hubs (that have bold/embossed decals), I have not come across this issue. Wondering which version of the hub you have.
emaayan

Post by emaayan »

i'm not sure what version you have, but shimano released a version which is said to be compatible with e-bikes as well (i.e more robust)
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

+ 1 for this failure on the SG-S700. It was carrying a lot of weight at the time. Surly Pugsley, 110kg Man, Mac Ride, and a 22KG child. Complete failure of the back brake. took be ages to work out what was wrong.

looks the hub shells are like hens teeth. i won't be risking welding so guess i have a internal i'll never use!