Diplomatic Immunity?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Diplomatic Immunity?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I had a Jewish mate at university, not that you'd know it. He'd be packed off to university with a hamper if homemade kosher food. Once at university he'd be eating bacon bottles and his favourite pizza Hawaiian with the ham on it.

But come time to go home he got picked up by parents and became kosher again. I think he used to give most of the hamper away because he didn't like the kosher meals.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

You'd be surprised at how many different interpretations of "kosher" there are amongst not-so-observant Jews. Possibly my parental home was unique in its inconsistency? Very early in life, I must have learnt that pork was taboo - but I didn't yet know that bacon was a form of pork, so there I was tucking into a Full English at a B&B - until my father stopped me! And I had no idea that meat had to be 'kosher' - that is, slaughtered in accordance with shechita - until I was taught about it in cheder (Jewish religion lessons). My mother would buy the meat from Sainsbury's (hardly kosher, that!) except on a few special occasions; then my father would intervene, and insist that the meat had to be koshered: that is, soaked in water for half an hour, then sprinkled with salt and left for an hour, before cooking.

All this was utterly inconsistent!

On top of that my father insisted on meat-and-milk separation - up to a point. We had to have separate plates and cutlery for meat and milk - but my father didn't mind if we had both at the same meal. I shan't waste time explaining what's wrong here!

Oh and to cap it all - my father was extremely fond of crab-meat. Once again, look it up under Jewish dietary laws...

Today? Mrs P (who's non-Jewish) and I don't eat any meat, whether kosher, halal, or neither. At least that's consistent! But we eat plenty of seafood: crab, shrimps, mussels, etc. That's a violation of Jewish laws....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi
Back on topic –

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... x-49394519

"A British woman accused of killing a patient by giving her botched buttock-enhancement injections has been extradited to the US to face trial."

"If she is convicted, the extradition order stipulates Ms Francis cannot be sentenced to more than one year in a US jail"

Edited – because she skipped the country that's the USA back to Britain and was then extradited she only see one year in jail!
A loophole no doubt.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gaz

Post by gaz »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Edited – because she skipped the country that's the USA back to Britain and was then extradited she only see one year in jail!
A loophole no doubt.

When I read that I felt the key part was "Ms Francis cannot be sentenced to more than one year in a US jail", i.e. A longer sentence would be possible but on the understanding that she will be able to serve the remainder in the UK.

Seems I was wrong. Her sentence is one year and the extradition agreement even specified a particular US jail in which she will serve her sentence.

Hard to see anybody being happy with the outcome.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
CPS announced that they will be charging Harry duns US killer.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Which will, despite the fact that it will make not a blind bit of difference, "Bring some comfort to Harry's parents".

So said the Chief Constable of Northants yesterday.

Not sure how I feel about that, tbh.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote:Which will, despite the fact that it will make not a blind bit of difference, "Bring some comfort to Harry's parents".

They might feel better than if she were brought back here, tried, and received the usual derisory sentence given in similar cases.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Her sentence will depend on what she's been charged with. Anyone know?
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Which will, despite the fact that it will make not a blind bit of difference, "Bring some comfort to Harry's parents".

They might feel better than if she were brought back here, tried, and received the usual derisory sentence given in similar cases.

She's refusing to return in any event, because it was an unfortunate unintended accident.

I suppose I was alluding to the CC prioritising making the victim's family feel better.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:Her sentence will depend on what she's been charged with. Anyone know?

I read that she has been charged with "causing death by dangerous driving" which has a maximum of fourteen years imprisonment.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mike Sales wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Her sentence will depend on what she's been charged with. Anyone know?

I read that she has been charged with "causing death by dangerous driving" which has a maximum of fourteen years imprisonment.

If the maximum was applied that would not be derisory.

OTH, the US forced a terrible extradition treaty on the UK, which largely means that UK citizens can be extradited but not the other way round.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

If the maximum was applied that would not be derisory.

OTH, the US forced a terrible extradition treaty on the UK, which largely means that UK citizens can be extradited but not the other way round.

It would not, if it were applied, which would be unusual, to say the least.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

When I worked around prisons there were many serving such long sentences.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:When I worked around prisons there were many serving such long sentences.

We have a special thread in this forum for recording lenient sentencing for drivers who caused death by dangerous driving. It is now up to its 28th. page.

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50829