Quick question - night before start in Thurso or J O'G?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
LittleGreyCat

Quick question - night before start in Thurso or J O'G?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Car supported trip, so either stop in Thurso and get lift to the start, or stay at John O'Groats.

J O'G looks cheaper but I visited briefly a few years back and I remember it as mainly tacky.
Given the choice, would you stay at Thurso or J O'G?
Paulatic

Re: Quick question - night before start in Thurso or J O'G?

Post by Paulatic »

Having stayed at JoG there’s got to be more options in Thurso surely?
If you’re going up in a vehicle why not stop at Brora or Wick the night before? Especially as you aren’t coming back that way.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Paulatic wrote:Having stayed at JoG there’s got to be more options in Thurso surely?
If you’re going up in a vehicle why not stop at Brora or Wick the night before? Especially as you aren’t coming back that way.

Thanks - will have a look there as well.
PH

Post by PH »

Why not stay where you're going to finish on the first day? No packing/unpacking and you'll know where you're going.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

PH wrote:Why not stay where you're going to finish on the first day? No packing/unpacking and you'll know where you're going.

Another sensible suggestion. :D
Kinder on the driver to stop near J O'G, though, and quicker to get to the start of the ride.

If I was self supporting and going up by train I would use that strategy to stop in Thurso, ride out and back to J O'G and then ride onward the following day.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LittleGreyCat wrote:If I was self supporting and going up by train I would use that strategy to stop in Thurso, ride out and back to J O'G and then ride onward the following day.
I stayed at Wick.
Following morning, JOG and back - less than 40miles - then in the morning headed south. Next night was Golspie, then Inverness.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
PH wrote:Why not stay where you're going to finish on the first day? No packing/unpacking and you'll know where you're going.

Kinder on the driver to stop near J O'G, though, and quicker to get to the start of the ride.

Maybe, but you're only talking a maximum extra drive of an hour, that might be less time than you spend packing/unpacking and checking in/out.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

PH wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:

Maybe, but you're only talking a maximum extra drive of an hour, that might be less time than you spend packing/unpacking and checking in/out.

You haven't seen my road manager set up and tear down. :lol:
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

After we had completed our LEJOG in 2016 we stayed at The Hawthorns in Mey. It’s about 7 miles from JOG and on the main road to Thurso. Very nice rooms and lovely owners who willingly did a pile of washing for us. When we stayed there they had only just taken over the b&b.
We then went over to Orkney for a few days and then back to Thurso where we stayed at a small b&b called Sheigra before heading for home.
The following morning we caught the very early train to Inverness. As it would have been too early for the owner to get up and make breakfast for us she made us an enormous packed lunch to have on the train.