Garmin 1030 bike alarm feature

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PJ520

Garmin 1030 bike alarm feature

Post by PJ520 »

The 1030 has a nice feature that detects if anyone moves your bike (i.e Garmin device). Once armed It gives you a message on your iPhone if motion of the 1030 is detected; just the thing if you're in a cafe and someone decides to take off with your bike. Here's my problem: I can't get my iPhone 11 to make a sound when the alarm triggers - a banner appears telling you to check your bike but it's silent, not much use if you're chatting with your mates at the time. I took my phone and 1030 to the Apple store and demonstrated the problem and they, after checking all the settings, told me it was Garmin's problem. I sent an email to Garmin and they are telling me to check my phone settings! Any ideas anybody?

Interestingly the bloke who does the YouTube demo doesn't get any sound on his phone.

The alarm noise in the 1030 itself is almost inaudible too.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
philvantwo

Re: Garmin 1030 bike alarm feature

Post by philvantwo »

Why would you leave your garmin on your bike?
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

philvantwo wrote:Why would you leave your garmin on your bike?

If you don't leave it on your bike how will the Garmin tell you someone is messing with your bike? Also the Garmin is unuseable if the alarm goes off and you don't have the PIN you need to disable the alarm from the device. With this feature if they nick either of them you get an alert. Mind you the alarm sound on the 1030 wouldn't disturb a mouse.

In theory a tea leaf could very carefully remove your Garmin and take off with the bike but it would be pretty hard to do it only has to move inches to trigger the alarm (see the video) - mine got set off today when the wind dissturbed the bike a bit.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

PJ520 wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Why would you leave your garmin on your bike?

If you don't leave it on your bike how will the Garmin tell you someone is messing with your bike?

I think you're missing philvantwo's point.... :wink:

The point being (I think) that MOST people would not leave an expensive Garmin whatever on a bike when they were supping tea in a cafe.
drossall

Post by drossall »

PJ520 wrote:In theory a tea leaf could very carefully remove your Garmin and take off with the bike but it would be pretty hard to do it only has to move inches to trigger the alarm (see the video) - mine got set off today when the wind dissturbed the bike a bit.

Or, remove the Garmin and take off with the Garmin? Possibly after switching off the Garmin first? (Not seen that model, maybe there's something to prevent that, but...)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No experience of the 1030, but the Montana will lock on the bike mount.
Ok it's a star socket head that locks it, and the mount is on the bike with hex bolts, but the bolts can and are double-nutted.
Unless the thief is tooled up sufficiently well, my Montana is secure.

As for the idea of an alarm, it's of no use unless the alarm is loud and the 1030 is locked securely to the bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

drossall wrote:Or, remove the Garmin and take off with the Garmin? Possibly after switching off the Garmin first? (Not seen that model, maybe there's something to prevent that, but...)

I tried it and attempting to shut off the Garmin sets off the alarm and the only way to silence the alarm is with a PIN or from your phone.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Mick F wrote:No experience of the 1030, but the Montana will lock on the bike mount.
Ok it's a star socket head that locks it, and the mount is on the bike with hex bolts, but the bolts can and are double-nutted.

As for the idea of an alarm, it's of no use unless the alarm is loud and the 1030 is locked securely to the bike.

Alas the 1030 doesn't appear to have such a feature. I hoped there might be some third party device but googling "1030 lock" comes up with stuff about canals! As for the alarm sound on the 1030: it is very faint to my geriatric ears but yesterday a girl came into the cafe and told me "Your bike's making a funny noise".

With the problems described above it looks like the alarm feature is pretty much useless.
dim

Post by dim »

Mick F wrote:No experience of the 1030, but the Montana will lock on the bike mount.

do you have a link to this 'Montana system' ?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

that sounds like a daft feature. A 1030 is £500 and someone can just run off with it and whatever tracking it's got you probably won't catch them.

Whereas if you just put it in your pocket then it's not likely to be stolen.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

thelawnet wrote:that sounds like a daft feature. A 1030 is £500 and someone can just run off with it and whatever tracking it's got you probably won't catch them.

Why do you park valuable easily stolen device of any kind outside a cafe? Like a bicycle say?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

PJ520 wrote:
thelawnet wrote:that sounds like a daft feature. A 1030 is £500 and someone can just run off with it and whatever tracking it's got you probably won't catch them.

Why do you park valuable easily stolen device of any kind outside a cafe? Like a bicycle say?

a bicycle is a bit less pocketable.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

thelawnet wrote:
PJ520 wrote:

a bicycle is a bit less pocketable.
True. That's why I said it was useless without a physical lock.
RickH

Post by RickH »

PJ520 wrote:Why do you park valuable easily stolen device of any kind outside a cafe? Like a bicycle say?

I find most cafés aren't too keen on you taking your bike in with you, especially if there is a group of you! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

dim wrote:

do you have a link to this 'Montana system' ?
It's the standard Garmin Montana bike mount.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/105268
You could clamp it to anything, not just a bicycle.

When you press the button to release it, a flap moves outward to allow the button detent inwards. The flap has a screw to secure it shut, so it won't move outwards.

The mount is clamped on the handlebars ................... mine is on the stem and usually double nutted, though not at present as I had it on the other bike temporarily recently.
IMG_0534.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall