Route around peak District from Derby.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jamesh

Route around peak District from Derby.

Post by Jamesh »

Hi

I'm new to the peak District and hoping to get out over the new year period whilst at the in-laws in Derby.

Looking for a single day route that takes in the best of the peaks whilst avoiding the main roads as much as possible.

Cafe stop would be appreciated....

Starting and finishing in Derby and approx 100+ miles.

Cheers James
PH

Re: Route around peak District from Derby.

Post by PH »

I have a long list, though my favourites might not be yours. To narrow it down:
All on road or using some of the ex railway tracks that are well surfaced but dirty this time of year?
How hilly?
Classic climb?
A6, which is the quickest way into and out of the Peaks. It's wide and popular with some, I use it weekends but less so in the week.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

All road

I didn't think of the whitepeak trail bit I think it would slow me down too much for a one day jaunt.

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hilly are good.

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hilly are good.

Cheers James
PH

Post by PH »

Jamesh wrote:Hilly are good.

Cheers James

I’m not home now till Boxing Day, I’ll post a route then. For a one day bash at the Peak District I’d make Winnats Pass the highlight, with a scenic route there and an easier return.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You could do worse than follow the route of the Tramway 100k audax, which starts and finishes in Cromford. It’s about 65 miles and the ride out to Cromford and back would make it up to nearly 100. It goes through Hathersage, so you could extend it slightly to take in the famous Winnats then swing back round via Peak Forest and Wormhill to rejoin the route at Millers Dale.

Hers the link to the audax page where you can download a GPX file.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-224/

It starts from Cromford, climbs up to a Crich and then follows minor roads along the top of the ridge between Matlock and Chesterfield, to eventually emerge at the Owler Bar roundabout, then drop down to Hathersage. Go along the valley to Castleton, climb Winnats Pass, make your way to Sparrowpit and Peak Forest, then follow minor road to Millers Dale. Climb up hill to cross the A6, then follow minor road past Chelmorton, to cross A515, then climb to hill passed the quarry towards Glutton Bridge. Climb the hill and descend to Longnor. Turn left in the Market place, then continue to Crowdecote (steep hill), proceed to next crossroads and turn right towards Hartington. The audax route follows the High Peak trail back to Cromford, but you could carry on to Hartington, Biggin, Parwich, then up to Longcliffe and over to Wirksworth. Then either drop down to Cromford or make your way to south towards Duffield and back to Derby.

Cafes in Cromford, Hathersage, Castleton and Longnor.

It’ll have about 5000 feet of climbing.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
PH

Post by PH »

The Tramway is a good call, plenty of scenic roads on that though I haven't done it since the start moved from Crich.
Here's my recommendation - An easy warm up ride to Ashbourne, there's nicer lanes but they'll be filthy now. Plenty of up and down as you head north from there. including some of my favourite roads, Thorpe, Hartington, Monyash, Millers Dale, Tidewell (The church is known as the Cathedral of the Peaks) and on to Castleton and Winnats Pass. The Pass is not only a tough climb, it's also stunningly beautiful, I haven't always made it to the top, but I've always been glad to have included it. From the top you can either turn round and enjoy it in the other direction, or as plotted bot down the other side and follow the river around. I've plotted the route back to include riding through Chatsworth, where you get good views of the house. If you've had enough by the time you get to Rowsley, just jump on the A6 all the way back to Derby. Or the scenic route via Carsington Water, either way the last 20 miles are easy riding.
cafes - too many to list, my favorites are Grindleford Station Cafe, for a fry up. Pudding Room opposite Carsington for good cake, but really you pass plenty that are excellent.
Have a good ride wherever you go, you're not going to go wrong really, I've never ridden a bad route through the Peaks, though some are better than others.
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/135315
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PH wrote:The Tramway is a good call, plenty of scenic roads on that though I haven't done it since the start moved from Crich.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-224/
I note the start-map hasn't moved from Crich : P I must do this soon, now I have family in Belper.

Here's my recommendation - An easy warm up ride to Ashbourne, there's nicer lanes but they'll be filthy now. Plenty of up and down as you head north from there. including some of my favourite roads, Thorpe, Hartington, Monyash, Millers Dale, Tidewell (The church is known as the Cathedral of the Peaks) and on to Castleton and Winnats Pass. The Pass is not only a tough climb, it's also stunningly beautiful, I haven't always made it to the top, but I've always been glad to have included it. From the top you can either turn round and enjoy it in the other direction, or as plotted bot down the other side and follow the river around. I've plotted the route back to include riding through Chatsworth, where you get good views of the house. If you've had enough by the time you get to Rowsley, just jump on the A6 all the way back to Derby. Or the scenic route via Carsington Water, either way the last 20 miles are easy riding.
cafes - too many to list, my favorites are Grindleford Station Cafe, for a fry up. Pudding Room opposite Carsington for good cake, but really you pass plenty that are excellent.
Have a good ride wherever you go, you're not going to go wrong really, I've never ridden a bad route through the Peaks, though some are better than others.
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/135315

That looks lovely (based on my limited experience in the area). I would add::
- Cromford is a really lovely quirky village. Ace bookshop-cafe by the pond!
- @jamesh: don't rule out the ex-railways, as the surfaces are good + they are VERY gentle grades(so your ave speed will be decent, unless it's a very busy day!) and some bits have gorgeous views from the tunnels and down into gorges, that you just won't see from the roads.
PH

Post by PH »

mattheus wrote:- Cromford is a really lovely quirky village. Ace bookshop-cafe by the pond!

It is and the Tor Cafe by the main lights on the A6 is popular with cyclists.
It's also at the bottom of another of my favourite roads, the Via Gellia (I have no idea of the pronunciation), if it didn't mean missing something else I'd have tried to include it. From Grangemill down to Cromford it swoops alongside the river, best ridden on a weekend to avoid the quarry lorries and given a miss if there's any chance of ice, I absolutely love riding it, however long a ride, those five will be the highlight. It's OK going up, just not the same...
sjs

Post by sjs »

PH wrote:
mattheus wrote:- Cromford is a really lovely quirky village. Ace bookshop-cafe by the pond!

It's also at the bottom of another of my favourite roads, the Via Gellia (I have no idea of the pronunciation), if it didn't mean missing something else I'd have tried to include it. From Grangemill down to Cromford it swoops alongside the river, best ridden on a weekend to avoid the quarry lorries and given a miss if there's any chance of ice, I absolutely love riding it, however long a ride, those five will be the highlight. It's OK going up, just not the same...

Cromford is also a World Heritage Site, on account of the mills on the river there, but if you're aiming to do 100 miles at this time of year there'll be no time to look at them.

I would also recommend the road along Morridge, from Waterfall, west of Ashbourne, northwards towards Flash/Longnor/Hartington, eg through the point at SK025565, a very scenic ridge route.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

PH wrote:

I quite like doing the Via Gellia in the uphill direction from Cromford. It’s a good, steady gradient and 4 mile climb up to the Hollybush pub, you can extend it to 5 miles of uphill if you then turn left to Longcliffe.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Great thanks for the replies

Initial route here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rZUJm29u1temQkJk8

Looks like a fair day too so carbon bike it is.....

Cheers James
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Probably a bit late have a look at peak Audax and try one of those.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Had a great ride today guys!

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Rode to Ashbourne then up the dove valley to Newhaven, across to Bakewell before heading south to grangemill to ride down the via gellia decent which senic if a bit grey without any leaves on the trees.

Then down the A6 where I had a rough spell. Didnt have enough calories and needed sugar! Coke and chocolate in belper fixed it. Derby was straight forward. Lanes to shepshed were tricky with a few detours!

109 miles 7h11 and 15.1avg

I'm a bit lardy at moment closer to 80 than 70kg.
Thanks guys

Cheers James