Helimeds.

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Helimeds.

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It never ceases to amaze me how blinkered some ( a very small insignificant but overly vocal minority to be fair) cyclists are to the bleeding obvious. It really is a shouty minority who get the buttock about cycle helmets. Occasionally they will spend hours trawling various resources until they find a ( massively unrepresentative) view, from an ‘expert’. Then they tend to selective mis quote, and trim their findings, until it fits in with what they believe, then get all shouty, and try and shout out the ( majority ) views, held by people who didn’t have their train sets confiscated, when they were children. If you point out their folly, they stamp their feet and say.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:<SNIP - why quote the immediately previous post ?

Why don't you try rational argument, instead of slagging off those who differ? Is it because of frustration?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Marcus Aurelius

<SNIP - please stop wasting our screen space ( & time ) with stupid pictures >
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how blinkered some .................
I have no doubt whatsoever that if I bang my head hard, I'd rather have been wearing a helmet.
Absolutely obvious. I'm sure 100% of the world's population would agree.
The trick is, not to bang your head. :wink:

In all my 60odd years of cycling - despite having accidents too numerous to mention - I have never banged my head.

I scraped my chin as a 12 year old and I still have the scars to prove it.
Cut knees, hurts and scrapes galore. Knees, elbows, hands, arms, ankles, feet ......... the lot.
I ran into the back of a car when cycling at speed as a youth when not looking where I was going.
I have been hit by a car in Plymouth and rolled over on the bonnet in the late 1980s.
I was injured quite badly as recently as 2007 after hitting a massive pothole at 30mph+ Thigh, elbow, arm, shoulder, and taken to A+E.

NEVER ever have I banged my head falling off a bike, and I've fallen off plenty of times.
Mick F. Cornwall
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how blinkered some ( a very small insignificant but overly vocal minority to be fair) cyclists are to the bleeding obvious. It really is a shouty minority who get the buttock about cycle helmets. Occasionally they will spend hours trawling various resources until they find a ( massively unrepresentative) view, from an ‘expert’. Then they tend to selective mis quote, and trim their findings, until it fits in with what they believe, then get all shouty, and try and shout out the ( majority ) views, held by people who didn’t have their train sets confiscated, when they were children. If you point out their folly, they stamp their feet and say.

A very ironic post, blinkered so much that you like the vocal minority who won't accept physics, data put out by government and hospitals, police etc. You haven't even selectively misquoted data because we know that that data doesn't exist to support helmet wearing as a solution to increasing cycling safety, not to mention breaking human rights and discriminations to the point that law is being applied differently against victims of crime!

I'll tell you what, go look up Jake 'odds ratio' Olivier, he has lots of 'research' papers that tell us that black is white and is the pinnacle of cherry picking on an epic scale such that it's obvious his agenda and it's not fact based. No-one can be that stupid to have ignored his own mantra on meta-analysis, no-one could be that stupid to not realise that using cut lips and superficial facial injuries should be counted as serious head injuries that a helmet would have a direct impact on preventing. No-one would be that stupid to present papers promoting helmets when your financial backers are a state government that makes millions of dollars from fining cyclists for not wearing helmets, no-one could be that stupid to announce that risk compensation does not exist in cycling ... surely not!
No-one is surely stupid enough to stamp their feet without any actual real facts, peer reviewed studies to present with their argument :lol:
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 28 Dec 2019, 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Aurelius

Mick F wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how blinkered some .................
I have no doubt whatsoever that if I bang my head hard, I'd rather have been wearing a helmet.
Absolutely obvious. I'm sure 100% of the world's population would agree.
The trick is, not to bang your head. :wink:

In all my 60odd years of cycling - despite having accidents too numerous to mention - I have never banged my head.

I scraped my chin as a 12 year old and I still have the scars to prove it.
Cut knees, hurts and scrapes galore. Knees, elbows, hands, arms, ankles, feet ......... the lot.
I ran into the back of a car when cycling at speed as a youth when not looking where I was going.
I have been hit by a car in Plymouth and rolled over on the bonnet in the late 1980s.
I was injured quite badly as recently as 2007 after hitting a massive pothole at 30mph+ Thigh, elbow, arm, shoulder, and taken to A+E.

NEVER ever have I banged my head falling off a bike.

Absolutely. If you don’t crash, it matters not. However, personally, I’ve been brought down on more than one occasion, by something I didn’t expect / see / bargain on. Be that a flooded pothole, a random dog that suddenly sprinted into my wheels from behind, or a car knocking my rear wheel out, without any expectation. Expect the best, plan for the worst.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: ............ Expect the best, plan for the worst.
Ok.

What else do you wear when cycling?

Perhaps I should have been wearing full motorbike leathers?
109_PICT0146_1.jpg
109_PICT0146_1.jpg (13.72 KiB) Viewed 351 times
109_PICT0147_1.jpg
109_PICT0147_1.jpg (12.43 KiB) Viewed 351 times
109_PICT0149_1.jpg
109_PICT0149_1.jpg (26.49 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Mick F. Cornwall
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

That mud guard held up well.
I have the same ones, very reassured.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
Both wheels were wrecked.
The rear one took the brunt of my weight, and the front one was bent too but not as much. The bike wasn't damaged, but the left pedal was scratched.

I was descending a hill about five miles from here in the summer of 2007. It had been raining for a while but the day I was riding was dry and sunny and bright.

A stream had run across the road - as it often does/did, and unbeknowns to be, it had washed some tarmac out. The water running across hid the hole nicely. I went down the hill at 30mph+ with traffic behind me and coming towards me. BANG BANG I hit the hole, skidded a few yards then went down onto my left, and slid along for maybe 50yds before coming to rest, bleeding and hurting and shocked.

As it happens, a cop car was coming up the hill, stopped all the traffic and he brought me and my bike home after patching up my very damaged left elbow. You could see the bandages. Mrs Mick F drove me to A+E to get patched up properly. When I was better, I built two new wheels! :D

BTW - I was wearing a helmet.
I stopped wearing one when I saw the light on the pointlessness of them but that wasn't until summer of 2015. I'd been using one since 2006.
How could I have survived on two wheels since the mid 1950s without a helmet? Grief! Shocking eh?
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Aren't you guys bored of this by now? The Flat Earth thread is a LOT more fun! We need that guy to start posting again.

The nice thing is that anti-helmet-law support IS growing; you can see it on twitter, on facebook, etc. Sure, there's a vocal minority that keep shouting about the things, but rational thought IS gaining momentum*. The message from Holland etc is getting louder :)

*e.g. the 37,000 people who follow this guy (he's in Copenhagen):
https://twitter.com/colvilleandersn
Marcus Aurelius

mattheus wrote:Aren't you guys bored of this by now? The Flat Earth thread is a LOT more fun! We need that guy to start posting again.

The nice thing is that anti-helmet-law support IS growing; you can see it on twitter, on facebook, etc. Sure, there's a vocal minority that keep shouting about the things, but rational thought IS gaining momentum*. The message from Holland etc is getting louder :)

*e.g. the 37,000 people who follow this guy (he's in Copenhagen):
https://twitter.com/colvilleandersn

Twitter followers, that pretty much says it all. 37000 brainless Sheeple can’t possibly be wrong can they? That’s 0.000000000000057 percent of the worlds population. I don’t think they’ll be a big miss, when Darwin sorts them out to be fair.
Marcus Aurelius

Mick F wrote::D
The rear one took the brunt of my weight, and the front one was bent too but not as much. The bike wasn't damaged, but the left pedal was scratched.

I was descending a hill about five miles from here in the summer of 2007. It had been raining for a while but the day I was riding was dry and sunny and bright.

A stream had run across the road - as it often does/did, and unbeknowns to be, it had washed some tarmac out. The water running across hid the hole nicely. I went down the hill at 30mph+ with traffic behind me and coming towards me. BANG BANG I hit the hole, skidded a few yards then went down onto my left, and slid along for maybe 50yds before coming to rest, bleeding and hurting and shocked.

As it happens, a cop car was coming up the hill, stopped all the traffic and he brought me and my bike home after patching up my very damaged left elbow. You could see the bandages. Mrs Mick F drove me to A+E to get patched up properly. When I was better, I built two new wheels! :D

I stopped wearing one when I saw the light on the pointlessness of them but that wasn't until summer of 2015. I'd been using one since 2006.
How could I have survived on two wheels since the mid 1950s without a helmet? Grief! Shocking eh?

Repeat that trick without a helmet, come back and tell us how you got on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiccan-Star-Pl ... 4756&psc=1
You might need this. Happy to help.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Marcus Aurelius
I don't normally post in the helmet ghetto but decided to comment on TUC's post.
TBH AFAIC you or anyone else can wear whatever they like,but please don't fall into the trap of thinking your 'common sense' is everyone else's.
I like the free choice and long may it remain that way.
The science isn't in your favour and no amount for saying it is will change that.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

There's no stopping him!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Mick F wrote::D

Repeat that trick without a helmet, come back and tell us how you got on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiccan-Star-Pl ... 4756&psc=1
You might need this. Happy to help.

My head never even got anywhere near the ground, not even my shoulders. My shoulder hurt because of my arm being wrenched.
Mick F. Cornwall