Must stay places for LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
nun

Must stay places for LEJOG

Post by nun »

When I rode across the USA on the Northern Tier route there were some friendly bicycle places to stay that attracted a lot of other cyclists which made for some good stories and fellowship. I also used a network called Warmshowers to stay in people's homes. Are there any specific "must stay" placed on the LEJOG route or something similar to Warmshowers?
Jamesh

Re: Must stay places for LEJOG

Post by Jamesh »

Glencoe inde hostel and the pub further up the road had a great atmosphere!

Shandwick inn just north of kildary too

Betty cookler Inn at oakhampton

Spoons at kendal

Not that I'm picky!

Just good food and atmosphere!!!

Cheers James
nun

Post by nun »

Thanks, I'll put them on my list
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Interestingly, I visited the Velocity Cafe in Inverness thinking it would be a cyclists's hang-out.

The place was packed, but I was the only cyclist in there. Go figure! :?
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

Samye Ling Tibetan Monastery, not on the quickest route north but worth the visit
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

My own LEJOG was based loosely on the former CTC hostel route, whilst additionally relying on the generous hospitality of friends and family. Unfortunately one or two of the hostels have closed since our ride.

Sadly one such closure was Carbisdale Castle, the rather grand YH at Culrain. If you decide to go that way the relatively nearby Crask Inn between Lairg and Altnaharra, although less grand, is a more than worthy substitute and is an experience not to be missed. You're really spoilt for choice in that part of Scotland. A few miles up the road is the now independent YH at Tongue. I know a more direct route from Altnaharra would be along Loch Naver and Strath Naver to Bettyhill, and that's a very pretty ride, but it's worth the extra miles to visit this hostel at Tongue for its stunning coastal location overlooking the Kyle of Tongue.
Ron

Post by Ron »

FasterFerret wrote:The place was packed, but I was the only cyclist in there. Go figure! :?

Sounds like a friendly place if you felt free to ask everyone if they cycled :) .
octave531

Post by octave531 »

Another vote for the Crask Inn.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jamesh wrote:Betty cookler Inn at oakhampton
Betty Cottles on the Old A30 just west of Okehampton.

Dunno what route you'll be taking, but most folk take the Old A30 out of Launceston up to Sourton.
As you reach the end of it at the T junction of the A386, turn left (north) and go under the A30 dual carriageway and keep on past the service area and Travel lodge etc. Do less than a mile to a small crossroads and turn right.
Down the lane, bend to the left, then out onto the Old A30 again bearing left. Less than a mile, and Betty Cottles is on your left.

https://www.bettycottlesinn.com/en-GB
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mick F wrote:

Dunno what route you'll be taking, but most folk take the Old A30 out of Launceston up to Sourton.
As you reach the end of it at the T junction of the A386, turn left (north) and go under the A30 dual carriageway and keep on past the service area and Travel lodge etc. Do less than a mile to a small crossroads and turn right.
Down the lane, bend to the left, then out onto the Old A30 again bearing left. Less than a mile, and Betty Cottles is on your left.

Brilliant place to stay gets my vote every time :D :D :D

to add a few others;
Sundial guest house Kendal
Helmsdale SYHA
the Bonnington at Moffet
will post some more later teas calling :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

octave531 wrote:Another vote for the Crask Inn.

Yep
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

ferrit worrier wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Brilliant place to stay gets my vote every time :D :D :D

to add a few others;
Sundial guest house Kendal
Helmsdale SYHA
the Bonnington at Moffet
will post some more later teas calling :D

KIndale house Helmsdale ( Tommy and I went to the same school ) didn't know that until I'd booked it :D
Seaview Hotel at JoG
Cloudside B&B Alexandria just south of Loch Lomond
Great glen hostel on the A82 between Loch Lochy and Loch Oich good selection of convenience foods
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Yea stay in jog
Don't be a numpty and ride to thurso as I did!

However I did manage to catch the tail if two roadies traveling that way who asked me where I had come from lands end I replied.
Oh today I corrected just north of Inverness.... As we powered along at 20mph on a wave of adrenaline!!

However once I got to Thurso I couldn't get up the steps to my room!

Which reminds me Bydand restaurant in Thurso is top notch yet affordable.
Bydand

2 Traill St, Thurso KW14 8EJ
01847 893737 https://g.co/kgs/9V39C9

Cheers James
nun

Post by nun »

Thanks I was looking at Helmsdale as an alternate route to JOG, it has some choice; hostel, B&B and hotel. I'll make my decision a couple of days before I get there as I usually only book 2 days ahead so I can be flexible. If there's a room or camping available in the Cask Inn I'll do that, if not it's Helmsdale.
honesty

Post by honesty »

If your route takes you this way, you wouldn't do badly to look at staying at the youth hostel at St. Briavels.