A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: A positive thread

Post by Vorpal »

I picked up my winter bike from the shop today, where it was serviced. My bus was runnning late, so the nice chap waited to close until I got there.

I rode my bike into the centre and tried a nice new bit of cycle path. They've only finished about 50 meters of it, but it's very nice indeed. It used to be two motor vehicle lanes in each direction, parking on both sides, and a median in the middle. They've given over almost half to a two-way cycle route separated from the motor traffic lanes by trees, and taken out all the parking.

I did a little shopping, then road over to meet Mini V, who had an art class today. We walked to a shopping centre to get a few things, then walked home. It was 5 degrees and light rain the whole time, but it was nice to be out & about. I got all the shopping done I needed to, and got to feel smug when I saw traffic queuing for the shopping centre, and we were walking.

I only rode about 4 kilometres today, but I walked another 4.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RodT

Post by RodT »

Approaching Botallack this afternoon, on the St.Ives-Zennor-St.Just road, a driver in a small van misjudged an overtake and made the closest of close passes. He received a blast from an approaching car and a fist-shake and and outraged yelp from me. Further on down the road, the van was parked in a lay-by. I saw the door open and the driver emerge. Here we go, I thought. ‘Thanks for not killing me,’ I said. But the poor chap was almost tearful with remorse. He could not have been more apologetic. He took full responsibility, I told him I appreciated his stopping to apologise. He said he was a cyclist, and should have known better. No harm done, I told him.
Well ok, he shouldn’t have made the overtake on such a narrow and bendy road. But his gesture in stopping to apologise made a cold and windy day a lot more cheerful.
robing

Post by robing »

Anyone else also feel a slight sense of relief when you get back from a ride in one piece, especially at this time of year? :D
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

robing wrote:Anyone else also feel a slight sense of relief when you get back from a ride in one piece, especially at this time of year? :D

Yup, don't like leaves, don't like floods, especially don't like flooded roads with leaves (and mud) all mixed up in it. Nice to get back to a nice warm fire and hot tea. :D
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Met my MP in the queue at the food store, I attended a talk by her last week but did not have the chance to thank her then, so I did today
She is perfectly human, she publishes her income on the www and answers all messages (some politrickians do not do that!)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Colin54
I really like the photo of Southport pier,very nice :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

The sun is shining in Argyll today after a terrible week of rain and high winds and i've got a day off ! So its wrap up warm and a nice ride out . ( Blow the Christmas shopping :D )
pwa

Post by pwa »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/sports-p ... y/50816258

Here is one of our local heroes, a man who makes me glad I live in Wales. Okay, his bike ride wouldn't be much of a challenge for a lot on this Forum, but Alfie's coming out, his making public his HIV diagnosis, and the love he has felt from his community, all make me feel that I live in a place where good values dominate.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I finally retired (what was left of) my old mountain bike, a friend took it on as a project.

As a replacement I took a punt on a tourer from Fleabay. It turned out to be smaller than I'd hoped with a very racy geometry, but I thought it would suffice. My LBS recommended I get something more robust for the winter and they're probably right, but good grief, this thing can shift! :D Coming into w*rk this morning I was going like a nun, and hardly even trying! :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
robing

Post by robing »

Christmas day ride with a friend clocked up 55 miles through the Chilterns and then met up with everyone at the pub for lunch. Glorious sunshine, light winds and traffic was light and unusually considerate!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I joined a cycling club at 15 and went Youth Hostelling with them over Christmas. My grandmother was convinced that this was evidence of an unhappy home life :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Switzerland has a maximum speed limit of 120 kmh on the autobahn, fines for speeding crime relate to income/wealth
Someone caught doing more than double the maximum was fined € 780 000 :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Browsing through some old copies of the Gazette, in the June 1994 issue CJ has an excellent article about hub gears, Sachs Super 7 (I have a bike with one, but I am in love with my fixie at the minute)

He explains why a bike for sale in the UK had hub gears but no coaster brake: 'we've just forgotten almost all we once new about everyday cycling' :?
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Nice sunny day up here in Argyll if a little cold and just been out for my first ride of the year :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I rode the bike to the shopping centre this afternoon to get a few things.

I admit to feeling a bit smug, going past all of the cars queuing to get to said shopping centre, yet sad (yeah, I know; positive thread) that they were all driving, and filling the air with their pollution.

Shopping was quick and easy with my bike, and everything *just* fit into the single (gasp!) pannier I took with.

Even better, it was nice to be out & about after a couple of days indoors.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom