Cycling (and other) plans 2021

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
willp01908

Re: Cycling (and other) plans 2020

Post by willp01908 »

We`re taking a year out to explore Europe on our bikes - no real plan as to where at what time above starting in the south and working our way north with the sun...

Taking the time to decide on our long term priorities with regard to where and how we want to see out our autumn years - we`ve already decided that they don`t involve hanging around in jobs we no longer really care for until we retire and are maybe unable to still "get out there".
Last edited by willp01908 on 1 Jan 2020, 4:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

willp01908 wrote:We`re taking a year out to explore Europe on our bikes - no real plan as to where at what time above starting in the south and working our way north with the sun...

Taking the time to decide on our long term priorities with regard to where and we want to see out our autumn years - we`ve already decided that they don`t involve hanging around in jobs we no longer really care for until we retire and are maybe unable to still "get out there".

Sounds interesting (I say, feeling a little envious), so do keep us updated.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Moving from the UK to mainland Europe shall certainly still be possible after b****t, I bet plenty of people shall still migrate in both directions
First goal of the year achieved today, went for my annual Gillott ride, feels strange for a moment, it has almost a racing position but one soon adapts
Just glad it has a single fixed gear, trying to use a derailment gear would be difficult :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We will be continuing to use our Campervan as a mobile base for our bike rides. Hoping to go to Scotland in May and do a few rides, including Belach Na Ba. Then go to France in June and do a few climbs including the Ventoux, possibly some Alpine climbs. And I’d like to finally crack 7000 miles for the year, got close several times, but need to finally do it.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Bealach Na Ba is on my list in April and hoping to do LEJOG in May. I also have an ultra long distance event that I am hoping to do in the Summer, just crossing my legs for the next few weeks as there are only so many places aside from that I have signed up to an event in the Peak District called Pure Peak Grit, 600m and 13,500 metres of climbing - ouch
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Finish the work on our "new" home (Roof, driveway) - at least, finish spending money with the contractors!

Get my model train layout back out and modify it

Try out my new Mamod steam loco (O gauge/SM32 stuff is bigger than N gauge, and I hope much easier to work with - albeit out-of-doors!)

Continue taking advantage of my new surroundings (Wythall is flatter than the Lickeys!) to increase cycling and walking fitness and get out more (working well so far)

Explore more of the peak district with my copy of "Lead mining in the Peak District" in hand

Last but not least - meet my latest grand-daughter who will be entering this world over the next couple of weeks!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Get the grandson confident on the balance bike he's getting for his 2nd birthday in April (already bought!)
Ride more sportives / RTF's - i know they aren't to everyones taste but i like them.
Get all the bikes back up and running - out of 6 only my Eroica Blower is a full runner atm! As i seem to be wearing them all out maybe i should buy a new one? n+1 and all that.
Summer trip to Germany - where and for how long not yet decided.
Attend York Rally - great weekend meeting friends old and new.
Not a plan as such, i escaped 2019 without an accident or illness, it would be nice to repeat that for 2020.

I also plan on drinking some beer, enjoying some fine food and living to the end of the year! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

For me, it’s to ride far less this year. Going long uses too much time up, and I’m not getting any younger. There’s nothing ( ‘cycle challenge’ related ) I want to do do left really. So I’ll be going relatively easy on the mileage this year, and see what I end up with.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'd like to get to Cardiff (non-cycling) to try to find a photo at the local studies library of my great-uncle who died in WW1 - cycled to his grave in France in 2018.
I'd like to continue my Rhine by Brompton trip - Speyer to Basle.
I'd like to cycle the Oise in Northern France and practice my French. To that end - carry on with my Coffee Break French course and stop messing about with Duolingo! Which is fun but it's not sticking...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Get back to doing 200k fun rides.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bobskip

Post by Bobskip »

Having managed 1500 miles in 2019 and feeling moderately proud of myself I was then challenged by my son to cycle 2020 miles in 2020. I should add he had already the year before challenged me to climb the Bealach Na Bà on my heavy Claud Butler Voyager as part of his North Coast 500 charity ride. Granted I had recently fitted a C1 Cytornex conversion to the bike but at seventy and awaiting surgery to correct a dislocated collarbone (2018 crash) it was a tough ask but I managed it.

The 2020 challenge got off to an inauspicious start puncturing less than three miles into my first side on 3rd January. I made amends the day after with 25 miles. Anyway is anyone keen to join me in this challenge and share experiences?
Attachments
P1040272.jpeg
P1040395.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's 25 years since the knooppunt fietsnet started in Limburg, so I'm going to tour through there later this year with friends and visit the more recent attractions "Cycling through Water" and "Cycling through Trees". Using the easiest transport links and mopping up a few other sights near our route (Hovenring! Baarle!) means we'll actually ride Antwerp-Hasselt-Eindhoven-Breda-Rotterdam.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Audax67 wrote:Get back to doing 200k fun rides.

define 'fun' :lol:

I did a few 200+km rides last year and a couple were enjoyable, not fun though. At some point, anything over a couple of hours always ceases to be fun, case in point todays ride, 50km out with a tail wind then a much less 'fun' 65km to get back to base. :roll:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Nothing definite yet but considering:
Localish weekend tours, ride out after work on Friday night. Camp in some woods, do a Saturday ride camp again and ride back on Sunday.
As above but riding out to a Premier Inn.

Two week tour in June, possibly start and finish in Murcia.

September trip to Majorca, missed last year due to illness.

Just renewed my Audax membership so might do a couple. Alternatively might look at some routes and then do them just me and Mrs Whoof with maybe a few changes (edit: to the route not Mrs Whoof).
dodger

Post by dodger »

I like Bobskip's plan to ride 2020 miles this year, so I'll use that as my benchmark too.
Good to have a target to work to and it's only 40 miles per week. Oh no, I'm already lagging!!