Dyson vacuum replacement.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Dyson vacuum replacement.

Post by rjb »

Daughter has a corded Miele. I've used it on occasions. It's good but heavy. Ok if you want a good work out. :lol: she swears by it and it is good for picking up pet hairs. Downside is the dust bags are expensive and you can't reuse them. Although I get my hand inside and empty them sometimes if I can't find a spare. :lol:

My neighbour has a cordless Dyson. The battery failed after 10 months light use. They replaced the battery pack and my neighbour passed the failed battery my way. I opened it up and removed the 6 X 18650 batteries which all seemed ok and use them to power an led torch. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sebo X1. Company started by a couple of German engineers at a similar time to Dyson start up. In the same time Dyson has gone through about 50 redesigns and model numbers they're still using teh same basic design though it has moved on from Sebo X1 to Sebo X1.1 . We've had one for years. No problems whatsoever.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:Sebo X1. Company started by a couple of German engineers at a similar time to Dyson start up. In the same time Dyson has gone through about 50 redesigns and model numbers they're still using teh same basic design though it has moved on from Sebo X1 to Sebo X1.1 . We've had one for years. No problems whatsoever.

What's needed is a Sebo-engineered vacuum marketed by a patriotic marketeer like, well, not Mr Far East manufacturer himself for a start :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I've got one of these, it must be about 30 years old by now:
Hoover.jpg

The previous one was my gran's old 1949 Hoover Junior 119:
Hoover Junior 119.jpeg

I can't imagine batteries for cordless ones being available for 30-40 years.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Having two girls, two dogs and three cats, living in a rural area, the best vacuum cleaner we ever had was an Oreck.
Had if years and years. All spares easily bought. Absolutely brilliant.
Eventually, it was too old - maybe 20years old.

We'd had Hoovers - both Juniors and Seniors, Goblin, Vax ........... but the Oreck was the best by far.

.............................until we discovered Bosch cordless.
We cannot imagine having anything else. When it gives up the ghost, we'll be right out and buy another.
https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-li ... umcleaners
Bought it from Curry's two or three years ago.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

We have a Vax wet and dry. The house has tiled floors throughout so the wet function get used most of the time, 15 years and still going strong but I've had to replace a pump.
Very awkward to use but does a brilliant job.
Until moving here and having hard floors, I was unaware how much dirt must be in carpets and you'd never know.
We clean the floors a couple of times a week and although the floors look clean the waste water is always dirty.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

A big thumbs up for the Vax. Super reliable and if looked after curiously indestructible!
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

We had 2 Dysons. The first one did not last long and was impossible to repair. We assumed that we had just been unlucky and got a second which was also crap. Then got a Panasonic which has lasted for years with no problem. We have a Henry which is good but not easy to handle for domestic use. A GTech handheld was got for the car and motorhome but is also handy in the house.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We've had two Dysons and a Bosch. Of those 3, the Dyson one designed for a house wth pets was the best, but still not, in our opinion, ideal. I think it lasted about 6 years, which is not too bad. But despite advertising that suction stayed high, even when full, it simply wasn't true. The suction started high, and gradually went down as the case got more full. We ended up emptying it when it was only half full all the time.

Our latest is a Miele. We looked through the reviews and test ratings on Which and picked the one that seemed to be the best results in the middle range. So far, we like it *much* better than any of its predecessors. It's about 6 months old.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Out on a ride this morning, and a Dyson went past me.
"That's not a Dyson!" I said to myself.
"That's a Transit van with Dyson written on it!"

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Dyson V8 here, very pleased with it. Has made vacuuming less of a chore and we do it more often than before. Wouldn’t return to a corded one now.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

geocycle wrote: .......... Wouldn’t return to a corded one now.
Neither would we.

Moreover, anything electrical is better cordless.
I have a couple of drills, a circular saw, a hedge trimmer, and a soldering iron all battery driven and rechargeable.
I wish the kettle and the toaster could be too!
Mick F. Cornwall