Route for LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Re: Route for LEJOG

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote:From Cheddar I'd take the Strawberry line around to Clevedon then follow the Avon Cycleway over the Avon bridge as well.

Defo take this route as I had a nasty headwind off the Bristol channel between wsm and clevedon. A bit of shelter makes cycling slot more pleasant esp with tired legs of Cornwall and Devon !!

Cheers James

Thanks for casting an eye over the route. I've already booked accommodation north of the Gorge, though I take your excellent point about the Strawberry Line. Thanks again
Bill
honesty

Post by honesty »

puffin wrote:
Good spot, thanks Honesty, the software took me off the canal North East of Taunton as I amended the earlier bit. I've redon it to include the full cnal length to Bridgewater. I remember the canal had "milestones" representing the planets and their relative distances.

Yes it does. My daughter loves riding the canal out to the sun, stopping at the Maunsel Lock Tea Rooms and cycling back. Its a great little 20 mile round trip for her. You will miss the Taunton side Mercury, Earth and Mars, as they are down a rough path where as the bike route goes on the lane next to the canal at this final section. Luckily it repeats going toward Bridgwater. I'd not go the full length into Bridgwater, there is a foot path bridge next to the train bridge (you will have to push your bike up a track on the side as its steps) but it cuts a section off the route - though is the new bridge at Squibbers Way open here now?
Last edited by honesty on 3 Jan 2020, 9:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

puffin wrote:I remember the canal had "milestones" representing the planets and their relative distances.

What a lovely idea. How better to get a grasp of the relative distances than by riding (or walking) them. I suppose that relative sizes would be difficult!, but a sculptural representation would be great.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
honesty

Post by honesty »

Mike Sales wrote:
puffin wrote:I remember the canal had "milestones" representing the planets and their relative distances.

What a lovely idea. How better to get a grasp of the relative distances than by riding (or walking) them. I suppose that relative sizes would be difficult!, but a sculptural representation would be great.

Everything is in scale, including the sizes.
puffin

Post by puffin »

honesty wrote:
puffin wrote:
Good spot, thanks Honesty, the software took me off the canal North East of Taunton as I amended the earlier bit. I've redon it to include the full cnal length to Bridgewater. I remember the canal had "milestones" representing the planets and their relative distances.

Yes it does. My daughter loves riding the canal out to the sun, stopping at the Maunsel Lock Tea Rooms and cycling back. Its a great little 20 mile round trip for her. You will miss the Taunton side Mercury, Earth and Mars, as they are down a rough path where as the bike route goes on the lane next to the canal at this final section. Luckily it repeats going toward Bridgwater. I'd not go the full length into Bridgwater, there is a foot path bridge next to the train bridge (you will have to push your bike up a track on the side as its steps) but it cuts a section off the route - though is the new bridge at Squibbers Way open here now?

Done! That is a great idea, I always hate the Bridgewater section, playing chicked with articulated lorries. Many thanks.
puffin

Post by puffin »

puffin wrote:
Jamesh wrote:From Cheddar I'd take the Strawberry line around to Clevedon then follow the Avon Cycleway over the Avon bridge as well.

Defo take this route as I had a nasty headwind off the Bristol channel between wsm and clevedon. A bit of shelter makes cycling slot more pleasant esp with tired legs of Cornwall and Devon !!

Cheers James

Thanks for casting an eye over the route. I've already booked accommodation north of the Gorge, though I take your excellent point about the Strawberry Line. Thanks again
Bill

...amd I m going to have strong words with my route planning software.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Im going to annoy MickF here as we've disagreed about this in the past, but at Sourton I'd personally be diverting onto the Granite way past the Church of St Thomas a Becket. This then will take you over the Meldon viaduct, which in my view is worth doing even for the extra few minutes it would take you.
puffin

Post by puffin »

honesty wrote:Im going to annoy MickF here as we've disagreed about this in the past, but at Sourton I'd personally be diverting onto the Granite way past the Church of St Thomas a Becket. This then will take you over the Meldon viaduct, which in my view is worth doing even for the extra few minutes it would take you.

Thanks again, looks like a great diversion. I've updated the route, but won't tell Mick. Promise.
puffin

Post by puffin »

I was due to start today :)
whoof

Post by whoof »

puffin wrote:I was due to start today :)

Did you manage to get back any payments for booked accommodation and travel? I was going to ride Cornwall over Easter and get the train back. GWR and still processing my claim for a ticket refund but at least they have acknowledged it.
I've got a trip (not LEJOG) planned for September and I'm hoping this will go ahead.
Also leave requests in July and August, just waiting to see what state things are in. It's all a bit rubbish but I'm just looking what I do have, garden to sit in, opportunity to do short rides etc.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It’s very difficult to find a 'look on the bright side' reply.
If the wind up here today is the same down in the SW then it’s one very strong headwind you’re missing out on.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

JOGLE weather with regards to tail wind.
Though the snow might be a downside.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Just had a gander at your route, and what I presume is on day 1, you go through Newlyn East and Lappa valley. This was the only climb that defeated a few of us. Very steep and getting to the end of our first day. Couldn't see a good alternative get around without using main roads but I know which I would prefer now :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
puffin

Post by puffin »

whoof wrote:

Did you manage to get back any payments for booked accommodation and travel? I was going to ride Cornwall over Easter and get the train back. GWR and still processing my claim for a ticket refund but at least they have acknowledged it.
I've got a trip (not LEJOG) planned for September and I'm hoping this will go ahead.
Also leave requests in July and August, just waiting to see what state things are in. It's all a bit rubbish but I'm just looking what I do have, garden to sit in, opportunity to do short rides etc.

Sorry for the delay, yes, I got (or have been promised) my money back, even the ones I paid up front/non refundable.

Best wishes
Bill
puffin

Post by puffin »

cycleruk wrote:Just had a gander at your route, and what I presume is on day 1, you go through Newlyn East and Lappa valley. This was the only climb that defeated a few of us. Very steep and getting to the end of our first day. Couldn't see a good alternative get around without using main roads but I know which I would prefer now :wink:

Hi there, sorry about the delay
I can't remember the climb you're thinking of, but it sounds bad :)