Has Trump just started WW3?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Has Trump just started WW3?

Post by Paulatic »

World news
Pentagon confirms US ordered airstrike which killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani
In a statement, the Pentagon announced that at the direction of US President Donald Trump, the country's military carried out an airstrike targeting Iranian general Qassem Soleimani near Baghdad airport. According to Iraq state TV, Popular Mobilization Forces Abu Mahdi Almuhandis was also killed after at least three rockets were fired towards the location.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Re: Has Trump just started WW3?

Post by Oldjohnw »

So Trump moves from firing tweets to assassination.

Surrounded by Yes Men and with an impeachment and election ahead, and serious consequences to Climate danger all around, let's have a further conflagration, the biggest you've ever seen.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It worked for Maggie, not so well for Blair!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As the world burns the biggest idiots are in charge.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

francovendee wrote:It worked for Maggie, not so well for Blair!

Yes. Classic tactic for a leader in a tight corner.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

If an american General was killed by the Iranian it would be called terrorism. If done by the military then it would be called an act of war.
It seems as though mankind won't stop fighting until the whole world is burning.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Trump has made 'legitimate' the notion of going into a foreign country and taking out a leader of a third country.
John
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

The Iranians have never forgotten the US role in deposing the Mosaddeq in 1953, the Americans have never forgotten the embassy prisoners.

Years of careful diplomacy under by the EU and Obama had almost defused the worst of this, then Trump unilaterally re-imposes sanctions followed by a political assassination.

If Trump believes that this approach is going to bring peace he should examine the tremendous 'success' of the Israelis in bringing peace to the middle east using the same assassination technique.

The Israelis may eventually reach their goal of subjugation and colonisation of Palestine but it is glaringly obvious that there will never be peace. If Trump thinks he can bring 81million Iranians to heel using the same technique he is truly barking
Last edited by Stradageek on 3 Jan 2020, 4:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Stradageek wrote:The Iranians have never forgotten the US role in deposing the Shah, the Americans have never forgotten the embassy prisoners.

I imagine some Iranians at least remember the US and UK coup against Mossadeq.

Mossadegh fought both internal corruption and foreign interference, enacted social reforms and nationalized the Iranian oil industry. In 1953, he was overthrown by a British-American coup, arrested and tried as a traitor in military tribunal court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27état
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Trump is always starting WW3. So the hyperbole is not really necessary. Constant conflict and populations in fear is the fuel that drives these nut bars, Boris Johnson included.

Until this 'strong man' ludicrous excuse for democratic rule ends, we will all of us be perennially in peril.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Trump won't have a strategy into which this fits, so it is an unwise move. It will have repercussions and some of them will be bad. But the Iranians are also villains in this, villains who interfere in other states and ferment trouble, so let's not cast them as the innocent victim here.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Hitherto he's been much less interventionist than his predecessors. I expect that this will be hugely popular with his base, as was his policy of withdrawal. No, I don't understand it either.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

He's an expert at obfuscation and deceiving those who want to be deceived. I think it's probably be another gun crime moment 'let's not talk about guns'. Genius, really.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's just that his technique is so very groundbreaking. If it wasn't so serious, it would be fascinating.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote:It's just that his technique is so very groundbreaking. If it wasn't so serious, it would be fascinating.

I guess his bluster and tweet storms are remarkably effective with his vote base, but using foreign adventures as a distraction from domestic difficulties is an old tactic.