replacement pedal dust caps

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SimonCelsa

replacement pedal dust caps

Post by SimonCelsa »

Just a quick one; I recently lost the dustcap/endcap off one of my DMR V8 pedals (old design with loose bearings). Anyone have any bright ideas for a simple and effective substitute. I know you can buy a service kit for around £14 but this seems a little excessive for my requirements. All I can think of is to try a piece of cork from a suitably sized bottle. Any better ideas? Pedal still obviously functions OK but I can see plenty of salt, grit & etc getting into the bearings........

Cheers
gaz

Re: replacement pedal dust caps

Post by gaz »

If you have one to hand try a push fit plastic square taper crank dust cap for size. I got lucky once.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have a small collection of pedal dustcaps; I keep finding them lying in the road.

If you can't buy one I'll see if I have something suitable; I am vaguely optimistic simply because the original DMR V8 pedal shares a lot of features with various wellgo pedals too. It isn't a bad idea to stick the dustcaps into some pedals using an adhesive; often they are not a very tight fit.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I bought an M22 die – surprisingly cheap from Hong Kong – and cut a thread on the outside of a piece of copper plumbing pipe. Cut it off and soldered a penny on the end. Worked a dream!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

^^^
Love it! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:I have a small collection of pedal dustcaps; I keep finding them lying in the road.

If you can't buy one I'll see if I have something suitable; I am vaguely optimistic simply because the original DMR V8 pedal shares a lot of features with various wellgo pedals too. It isn't a bad idea to stick the dustcaps into some pedals using an adhesive; often they are not a very tight fit.

cheers

strange habit. The only thing I keep an eye on the road for is money, esp Oxford street where cabby users may drop a £1 coin on the street ( well it all helps)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I see all kinds of things and if I recognise them as something useful, I often pick them up. Pedal dustcaps, nuts and bolts, money mostly, but I also find SA 3s control rods occasionally, that kind of thing. I also pick things up that might be dangerous to others and dispose of them better, so that they don't get a chance to cause punctures or get flicked up and cause problems that way.

Gawd knows what this means about the rate at which my poor old brain is processing visual information; I guess it stems from a need not to run over too many things that might wreck my tyres; I usually see the thing about five or ten yards off so I don't have to run over it and obviously I get a good look at it as I flash past. Often I recognise it then, and if it is interesting (or might be dangerous to others) I stop, double back and deal with it. I would probably take a different view in the middle of a big/busy city though.

The last time I had a real tyre slasher of a puncture, I know exactly what caused it because I saw it well ahead of time; thing is, I thought it was a small stone, whereas it was in fact a chunk (probably from the base) of a brown beer bottle or something, with terrifically sharp edges. I chose not to swerve around this thing for some reason; bad decision!

cheers
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Yes, its amazing what you find. A lovely "D" cell sized battery cosh sized maglite torch once (came in handy left just inside the shed door). Nice made in USA small punch, on some rural US road in 1988 (still have it).
The oddest, despite looking at the lovely South Island scenery in NZ, seeing the number of plastic clothes pegs in the road in the middle of no where. Picked a few up for my camping laundry, the rest of the trip consisted of up grading my clothes pegs to less faded/less battered ones.
On home turf a few pedals minus the axle, but no pedal caps though.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I recently picked up a baseball cap/helmet.
Made of cloth like a standard cap but lined with stiff plastic and closed cell foam.
Branded Turners at the front and First Base 3 at the back.
I have not brought myself to wear it yet.

https://www.arco.co.uk/products/4P3500
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

By the side of london surburban roads I often see those small fnger size alloy gas cyclinders things. sometimes load and loads in in one spot. What are they used for? soda syphons? I was wondering if they have any use, shame to see them go to waste?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mercalia wrote:By the side of london surburban roads I often see those small fnger size alloy gas cyclinders things. sometimes load and loads in in one spot. What are they used for? soda syphons? I was wondering if they have any use, shame to see them go to waste?

they are steel and when I first saw them I thought they were all CO2 canisters from tyre inflators. However I have been told that they are most likely Nitrous Oxide canisters; they are sold for the legitimate catering purpose of making frothy cream that doesn't instantly go off, but people instead 'huff' the contents for recreational purposes.

Funny old world, ain't it...?

cheers
RickH

Post by RickH »

Brucey wrote:
mercalia wrote:By the side of london surburban roads I often see those small fnger size alloy gas cyclinders things. sometimes load and loads in in one spot. What are they used for? soda syphons? I was wondering if they have any use, shame to see them go to waste?

they are steel and when I first saw them I thought they were all CO2 canisters from tyre inflators. However I have been told that they are most likely Nitrous Oxide canisters; they are sold for the legitimate catering purpose of making frothy cream that doesn't instantly go off, but people instead 'huff' the contents for recreational purposes.

cheers

I've heard it reported (on the radio, so I haven't a source to link to) that Nitrous Oxide (ab)use is second only to cannabis as the most used drug in the UK.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I bought an M22 die – surprisingly cheap from Hong Kong – and cut a thread on the outside of a piece of copper plumbing pipe. Cut it off and soldered a penny on the end. Worked a dream!

Yes, nice idea although mine were just push fit plastic jobs so I would need the tap as well as the die.

Think I'll just bell punch a couple of rounds from a plastic sheet and superglue over the open orifice. Should last between services.
rjb

Post by rjb »

There must be a plastic bottle cap that should fit. Happy recycling :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:

cheers

well some one had been having a very big sniffing party, I have seen as many as 100 or so in the gutter at one time