Campagnolo Daytona gear alternatives

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bazzo

Campagnolo Daytona gear alternatives

Post by bazzo »

I have seen a second hand bike I quite fancy. It has Campagnolo Daytona gears levers etc 9 speed dates from circa 2000. It is in pretty good condition. However I would need to alter the gearing, at present appears to have what I think is a 52/39 chainset In good condition ideally I would like 50/34 alternatively I could up the cassette from what I think is 12/25 to something in the region of 12/32. Rear mech would have to be changed.

Can I change front chain rings? What are the alternative rear derailleurs I could use?
Any observations advice or opinions welcome.
Brucey

Re: Campagnolo

Post by Brucey »

if the chainset is fitted with 39-52 this is probably on a 135mm BCD fitting and 39T is the smallest that will go. New chainset if you want smaller.

9s campag gearing is complicated because there were two different pull ratios used. It may be that daytona 9s was only manufactured using either the old or new pull ratio but I don't know that. If the 'new' pull ratio then many 10s/11s campag RDs ought to work and this allows larger sprockets to be used. If 'old' pull ratio then all the available RDs confine you (in the absence of hanger extenders and other bodges) to ~28T or 27T or something.

There may also be an issue obtaining 9s cassettes with the sprocket sizes you want to fit the hubs you have.

So it will cost plenty to convert this bike. An easier route may be to find a used triple chainset and fit that instead, or to use a 'tripleizer' chainring setup. [you may need replacement mechs but the LH shifter will work a triple chainset OK]

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I would echo what Brucey says about making it a triple. I used to have a Campag 53/39 chain set and drivetrain, but used to swap it for a triple if I ever needed to do a hilly ride, with an additional 30 ring. Ideally you would need a triple front mech too, but all you need to do is adjust the throw of the front mech. Campag 9 cassettes were only available down to 28 or 29 largest sprocket. I’ve never seen a 32. It’s one of the reason why I converted to Shimano.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Before pulling the trigger: even though the previous two decades "harder" gears were common all across the spectrum, that seems a proper "road bike gearing" so make sure eveything else fits you.
To have 1:1 gear ratio on a road bike seems common in today's day but some bikes and groupsets were just not built to cope with that.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
scottg

Post by scottg »

I had 9s Daytona Shifters, used a JTEK adapter to use Shimano cassettes/wheel,
and TA Zephyr crankset, 48/36/24, front mech Campy triple 9s.
The rear mech was 10s Daytona, shifted just fine.

Now I have 10s Campy with Sugino Alpina2 triple, also 48/36/24,
using the 12-30 Campy 10s cassette, finally have Campy compatible wheels.
Using a 11s Campy triple front mech, set a little higher than spec to clear the 36
mid ring. Campy magic ratchet front shifting works well with non Campy
cranks. Rear mech is a 10s triple Chorus mech.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
slowster

Post by slowster »

Presumably for a triple the OP would need a medium cage rear derailleur, and before buying a new derailleur they would need to determine whether the existing Ergolevers were old or 'new' 9 speed cable pull, since the bike dates from around the time Campagnolo changed the cable pull of 9 speed. Even having determined what rear derailleur is needed, I suspect it will not be easy to find one (and probably not inexpensive either).

A silver TD2 double chainset from Spa with 50/34 chainrings (or one of the other options, such as 48/33, which should be OK with a braze on front derailleur if that is what is fitted) should be a simpler solution, since the only other expenditure should be for an appropriate bottom bracket.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Gattonero wrote:Before pulling the trigger: even though the previous two decades "harder" gears were common all across the spectrum, that seems a proper "road bike gearing" so make sure eveything else fits you.
To have 1:1 gear ratio on a road bike seems common in today's day but some bikes and groupsets were just not built to cope with that.
Spot on.
Mick F. Cornwall
bazzo

Re: Campagnolo Daytona gear alternatives

Post by bazzo »

Hi

Thanks for all the advice, most of my cycling is in the Cotswolds or Peak District hence the need for lowish gearing, men used to be men, when you see old pictures of the TdF the gearing for the mountain sections was eye wateringly high. I will price a few bits up, it may be not worth all the effort.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Hi for me I find a 34 does not really work on the hills and is dead loss for a decent pace in other conditions. A spa triple with something like a 28/38/48 enables me to spin along fine for most rides on the 38. The amount of cyclists I see with the 34, seem to have to use the 50 plus ring which slows the cadence down no end, unless you are strong enough to zip along at race speeds.
Also with care not to cross the chain and suitable chain length, a short cage derailleur will work fine. The only time you could have a problem is when you are really tired towards the end of an all day ride.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bazzo wrote:Hi

Thanks for all the advice, most of my cycling is in the Cotswolds or Peak District hence the need for lowish gearing, men used to be men, when you see old pictures of the TdF the gearing for the mountain sections was eye wateringly high. I will price a few bits up, it may be not worth all the effort.
Try it in Devon and Cornwall.

Triple Campag Chorus 53/42/30 with a Campag Centaur 12-30 10sp cassette.
Campag Comp front mech and Campag Comp long cage rear mech.

Since fitted a 28t chainring instead of the 30t inner. Makes the bottom gear sub-unity! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

I’ve done quite. Bit in Devon and Cornwall, so no what you mean.
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

Campagnolo Triple equipment can be had quite cheaply seconds hand from the usual source. I recently bought a Chorus triple for 70 quid in excellent condition, the bottom brackets are expensive though and is not a great idea to buy a used one. About another 50 for that. You can probably pick up a good used Daytona triple rear and front mech for 40 each. Cassettes can be expensive especially in 9 speed, you could pay anything from 50-200 for one. Chains are about 20.

So for about £270 you can have a very clean drive train with good ratios to mate to your levers. Unfortunately Campagnolo is never cheap, but you're paying for quality. Campagnolo from that era is streets ahead of Shimano in terms of build, longevity and sheer class.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

My three bikes have Campag Centaur, Chorus, Record ergo levers. Long cage Centaur, Chorus and Comp
triple rear mechs. The bikes have have Shimano rear hubs (105 or Dura Ace) I use Spa Triple chainsets (46/34/24....48/34/26....50/34/26) and custom 9 speed HG50 cassettes (13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27/30)*.
Campag 10s ergo levers work well with Shimano 9 hubs/cassettes, using a Campag 9 or 10s rear mech.

*The 13 and 30 don't get used much, so they can be transfered to another cassette** when the other sprokets become worn.

** I have a stash of HG50 12-27 cassettes.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

BrightonRock wrote:Campagnolo Triple equipment can be had quite cheaply seconds hand from the usual source. I recently bought a Chorus triple for 70 quid in excellent condition, the bottom brackets are expensive though and is not a great idea to buy a used one. About another 50 for that. You can probably pick up a good used Daytona triple rear and front mech for 40 each. Cassettes can be expensive especially in 9 speed, you could pay anything from 50-200 for one. Chains are about 20.
CUT

Mich 9 speed cassettes are >30 and work fine, all cogs exchangeble separately.
Campag 9 speed cassettes not expensive either....don't know where that idea comes from.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Just in case anyone is interested in this bike the number above is the eBay number. It is a beautiful bike.