Leaves on the line.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PW

Leaves on the line.

Post by PW »

It's that time of year again folks. I banked the bike into a well known corner at the normal speed for a wet day, the back wheel probably ran over a couple of leaves I noticed in passing and behold there was a rear end slide. I recovered it - long wheelbase touring frames have their good points - but I'll be easing off when it's wet for a while now.
Tyres by the way were ordinary Marathons which normally bite into dodgy surfaces quite well.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Well done on the recovery :) its no fun going down :(
I noticed quite a few leafy corners yesterday,but the one situation causing the most bewilderment was two council workers with leaf blowers on the hill upto the parish church in Lymm Cheshire these two were blowing three inch deep leaf litter into the road!!!!!! causing three inch deep leaf litter from the curb three feet wide toward the middle of the road,so I had to ride on the white line to get some tarmac :?

Am I the only person who thinks leaf blowers are a complete waste of energy,resources and manpower? especially with a changable wind.
Si

Post by Si »

Am I the only person who thinks leaf blowers are a complete waste of energy,resources and manpower? especially with a changable wind.

I think that leaf blowers rank along side the "May contain nuts." message on packets of peanuts as the final indicators of the death of the Enlightenment.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

What are leaf blowers about? I completely fail to see the point?

The first time I saw somebody using one I was really perplexed. I thought "that leaf vacuum cleaner is rubbish, it's just blowing them about".

Speaking of slippy, there's a road near me leads into Sankey Valley Park and as you turn the corner there's a strip of cobbles which are deadly in the wet.
You need to be aware that they're there so that as you come round the corner you have time to straighten up.
One morning I'd overtaken a lad on a bike about a 100m further back and as I was slowing for this corner he shot past cranked over (in the wet), next thing I just saw him and his bike disappearing under the bushes.
I was desperate to laugh, I'm sure my "you alright mate?" had an hysterical tinge to it. (He was mentally scarred, but otherwise OK).
byegad

Post by byegad »

The joy of my enforced triking is that I don't need to worry too much about falling off, I have had a couple of slides and loss of traction this week though!
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Leaf blowers are one of the human race's three most pointless inventions.

(The others are the Segway and Fearne Cotton.)
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Si wrote:

I think that leaf blowers rank along side the "May contain nuts." message on packets of peanuts as the final indicators of the death of the Enlightenment.

Whassamatter? Dont you approve of handing your problems over to the next chap? :twisted:
jezer

Post by jezer »

I think leaf blowers rank alongside patio heaters as examples of the most useless inventions. Do you know of any more?
Power to the pedals
bikely-challenged

Post by bikely-challenged »

The Garden Claw Mini

Who wants to rotovate pot plants??
-----------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The above constitutes my personal opinion only on any given subject. Other opinions are available.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wet manhole covers are the worst hazard of the cyclists' life on roads unfamiliar.
Regular riding on a regular route can get round it, but a sudden appearance can be fatal.

Why are they produced is slippy steel?
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

What about those speed lozengers (square speed bumps, usually 2 or 3 spaced across the road).

Any decent sized car has a wide enough track to ignore them with the caveat they need to line themselves up.
So they don't slow people down and give them something to concentrate on instead of looking where they're going.

Wet manhole covers are a nightmare - particularly for motorcyclists. Why are they always on the 'racing line'?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What about white lines in the wet???? why do they have to be so thick?
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Bitumen overbanding, as used around the edge of repairs.
Lethal in the wet.

I've never heard any good reason for them not to roll sand or grit into it.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

I totally agree on this one!

I reckon too, that that yellow banana case from Lakeland plastics takes the biscuit for useless, ah.. hang on, they've just bought out a special tea bag squeezer, just incase your spoon against the side of your cup isn't sufficient.

There really are some useless inventions ready to strip you of your cash arnt there!

Mary
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Manx Cat wrote:

I totally agree on this one!

I reckon too, that that yellow banana case from Lakeland plastics takes the biscuit for useless, ah.. hang on, they've just bought out a special tea bag squeezer, just incase your spoon against the side of your cup isn't sufficient.

There really are some useless inventions ready to strip you of your cash arnt there!

Mary

Manxcat I'm with you on the banana holster but will have to differ on the teabag squeezer I'v been using one of these very useful itms for years and find I don't miss my finger ends stained brown or drips of tea on the floor from teacup to bin.Teabag squeezer for PM :D