New Royals Going It Alone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Post by pete75 »

If Harry is indeed royalty. His alleged father certainly wasn't.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

will cost a bit?

The couple are classified as "internationally protected people", which means they must have armed security provided by the Metropolitan Police.

so the tax payer will lose out? alot?

Royal historian Prof Kate Williams said the Metropolitan Police or Foreign Office would pay for their security on royal business, but their security in Canada could be funded by their global charitable foundation.

well thats not so bad
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Interesting piece on this in r4 drive time. Interview with biographer who interviewed Diana 6 weeks before she died. She thought Harry and Meghan were talking about projects very similar to the way Diana was. She was planning documentaries, promoting charities and foundations, etc. Sounded like diana planned to carve out a new and very useful career independent of royal family but obviously based on the fame that created.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

You did know that Diana's family had rather a lot of gingernuts in it. Indeed I saw an image of a family ancestor on his mother's side the absolute spit of him.

I had a double in my home town once. So alike one work colleague talked to him like he was me. We were obviously twins right? Biological twins right? Same principle of looks equalling ancestry.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's the way it works now. Official, royal business is state funded but anything else from Charles duchy assets. The actual cost of Harry plus family to the state is actually a small part of the expenses caused by Prince harry and family.

Of course standard internet tin hat stuff about cost to us and Harry's parentage always returns. Good job they're not Jewish or you'd be accused of uttering antisemitic trope each time you repeat that rubbish.

I'm hating this thread! My dislike of nasty lies, rumours and untruths is causing me to defend them. I'm against the existence of monarchy, a Republican if you like, but it's making me look a royalist.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:If Harry is indeed royalty. His alleged father certainly wasn't.

It might not be a bad idea to DNA the pair of them, plus Charlie, now. If (as likely), the test proves that Hewitt isn't the father, no harm done and might please the ardent royalists amongst us. But if it goes the other way (unlikely), that would surely soften the blow of Harry's departure, seeing as it would turn out that he isn't really a royal after all...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's the way it works now. Official, royal business is state funded but anything else from Charles duchy assets. The actual cost of Harry plus family to the state is actually a small part of the expenses caused by Prince harry and family.

The ownership of the Duchy, and the Queen's vast wealth, is what you might call ex officio.
I mean that they only possess all this because they are royal, and so have such a large slice of the nations assets.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Meanwhile, food banks are at record levels. Financial independence.

OTOH, given that Piers Morgan doesn't like them I'm inclined to give the Sussexes the greatest benefit of he doubt and even a little love
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Meanwhile, food banks are at record levels. Financial independence.

OTOH, given that Piers Morgan doesn't like them I'm inclined to give the Sussexes the greatest benefit of he doubt and even a little love

Is that the same Morgan who published faked photos claiming to show Lancashire Regiment soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Meanwhile, food banks are at record levels. Financial independence.

Is that the same Morgan who published faked photos claiming to show Lancashire Regiment soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners?

Same one.
John
PH

Post by PH »

If Royals can resign, then they can also be sacked, so there's hope.
As individuals, I wish them the best of luck, no one should have their life preordained from birth, whether born into the rubble of Syria or the grandest of palaces.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Same one.

Those photos were faked, but abuse did happen.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Whippet wrote:While I’m a republican, I wonder if the problems this couple are having are down to Megan suffering from post natal depression. Maybe she needed more support.

Seeds set before pregnancy I believe. So can't place this on the little woman's hormones. I'm sure you weren't being that chauvinistic but I'll point out the pov that any major issue involving a woman gets the hormone tag. Never for men despite us having hormones and variations in them through life.

Before you come back on me I know you didn't actually say hormones and probably didn't mean it that way but often post natal depression is used as code in the same way women get dismissed by "it's the hormones" or "it's the time of the month".

I'm pointing this out because it's not necessarily down to her. PH was majorly affected by Diana's issues with the media and royals. Diana, before her death, was very positive about her projects post royal status. They sound exactly the sort of projects these two want to do. It simply could be prince harry wanting his freedom to do his own thing with his family, immediate family that is.

Fair enough. My comment was based on a BBC article that stated that Megan herself commented that very few ask her how she’s doing post pregnancy. This seemed to hint that she was having problems.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Meghan for President? Then let the yanks support them & pay for their security? win win?
Last edited by mercalia on 9 Jan 2020, 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:Meghan for President? Then let the yanks support them & pay for their security?

Is she Canadian? Genuine question.
John