New Royals Going It Alone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:Meghan for President? Then let the yanks support them & pay for their security?

Is she Canadian? Genuine question.

I thought she just lived there for 7 years when she was a star?

if not then Mehan for PM - replace Trudeau is it? Then Canada have its own king and queen?
Last edited by mercalia on 9 Jan 2020, 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:Meghan for President? Then let the yanks support them & pay for their security?

Is she Canadian? Genuine question.

I thought she just lived there for 7 years when she was a star?

Yes: I've just looked it up. She was born in the US.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Is that the same Morgan who published faked photos claiming to show Lancashire Regiment soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners?

Same one.

Those photos were faked, but abuse did happen.

What's your point? Some abuse happened but it doesn't excuse publishing faked photos purporting to show abuse which didn't happen.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
dim

Post by dim »

https://www.newsweek.com/prince-harry-meghan-markle-still-take-income-royal-family-1481214?piano_t=1

snip:
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will still take 95 per cent of their income from the Royal Family, it has emerged—after claiming they will work to become "financially independent."

In a statement posted on social media on Wednesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex revealed they intend to "step back" from the role as "senior" members of the Royal Family following an extended break from royal duties over the festive period.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

dim wrote:https://www.newsweek.com/prince-harry-meghan-markle-still-take-income-royal-family-1481214?piano_t=1

snip:
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will still take 95 per cent of their income from the Royal Family, it has emerged—after claiming they will work to become "financially independent."

In a statement posted on social media on Wednesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex revealed they intend to "step back" from the role as "senior" members of the Royal Family following an extended break from royal duties over the festive period.

They said they will work to become financially independent not that they are currently so.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's 95%from daddy's estate. There will have to be transition from current role and activity to whatever they move into for themselves. Alongside that a transition from 5% direct funding too. As to the 95% from Daddy that's up to them I suppose. It's not like he'll miss it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
When Charlie became price of wales he was given the duchy which netted 2 mil, today its over 20.
He is in the press all the time in SWest over mismanagement of estates.
Camilla is said to cost over 300G a year in clothes and hair do's.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Oh well :)
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... edium=Feed
"Waxworks of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been removed from the royal family display at Madame Tussauds London."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

They could always star in a sitcom? Suggest any names?

The Prince and the Commoner
Life with Harry
The Odd Couple (revisited)
I Married a Prince ( compare I married a witch - good old film? [youtube]OIlDY1WuLJo[/youtube])
The Duchess of Pennsylvannia Avenue ( or wherever they put down their roots)
Fun with Meghan & Harry
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

windmiller

Post by windmiller »

They may perceive that they are wokeing back to happiness. I almost feel sorry for Harry, of all the hidious Royals, he appears to be the most down to earth.
On a more positive note this act of rebellion will only accelerate the demise of the Monarchy and spawn a long overdue Republic or even Republics of these Islands.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

What we don't know (not sure if this information is available or not) is how much of the £2.3 million they get each year goes into running their Royal duties. He or they can't expect to keep it if they're not doing them. They live in a 'cottage' which is actually a substantial house rent-free, through public opinion that would have to change.

I'm not sure they've really worked out the long term financial implications, Meghan could go back to acting, Harry could be paid to run his charities, but unless she consistently picks up hugely well paid roles its not what they currently get. I think an element of cake, wanting and eating may have influenced tbeir thinking.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

661-Pete wrote:High time we abolished the monarchy once and for all. Without kings and queens there wouldn't be any of this trouble. How many Press hacks hound the immediate family of the presidents of Ireland, Germany, Italy, etc. etc.? Can't speak for that idiotic guy across the Pond, but then he hardly functions as a Prezzie.....

++++++
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If you look on their website (Sussex Royal) you'll find they will continue to get the 95% from the Duchy of Cornwall which is not from the State. They will surrender the 5% they get from the Sovereign Grant. In turn they get to choose - and finance - which duties they do.

The Queen gives the Treasury the entire income from the Crown Estates and gets about 15-25% back as the Sovereign Grant.

I assume that if the FCO sends them to do something the government picks up the tab.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 10 Jan 2020, 8:11am, edited 1 time in total.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

What is never revealed is the cost of their security.
This will continue and I'd guess a considerable sum.
The Royals don't have a great record of living by their own efforts so if we don't support them Queenie will have to.