** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:Interesting two posts above. Same programme, slightly different take.

Have a listen to the programme and the reaction of the latter to the former is put into helpful context :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I heard it.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Do you have a view?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:Do you have a view?

Too clever by half. Smug. Supercilious. Full of sweeping statements and stereotypes.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think that her observations have rather been played out on this thread, stereotypically :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that her observations have rather been played out on this thread, stereotypically :D

You might well be right. The nature of brexit has made us all stereotypes. Even caricatures of ourselves.
John
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think that her observations have rather been played out on this thread, stereotypically :D

You might well be right. The nature of brexit has made us all stereotypes. Even caricatures of ourselves.

A useful side effect of Brexit is how it has prompted some people to drop their usual and reserve and politeness and to tell everyone just what they think of people who don't agree with them on the matter.

In Brexit veritas.
georgew

Post by georgew »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

A useful side effect of Brexit is how it has prompted some people to drop their usual and reserve and politeness and to tell everyone just what they think of people who don't agree with them on the matter.

In Brexit veritas.

A long-standing problem in the UK has been the convention that it is impolite to talk about politics. This has encouraged a wide-spread ignorance in the general population regarding politics and has made us vulnerable to the right-wing propaganda of the popular press in whose interests it is that such ignorance remains the status quo.

If verification is required that this is fact rather than mere opinion, then a review of the whole BREXIT debacle should convince.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

slowster wrote:
georgew wrote:Whoever would have imagined that the BBC could mock-up a graphic of the leader of her Majesty's Opposition...wearing a Russian hat interposed on a picture of the Kremlin?

I could say you would have imagined it, but it's probably more accurate to say that you believed the allegation because of your own confirmation bias:

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-did-the-bbc-edit-a-photo-of-jeremy-corbyn-to-make-him-look-close-to-russia

Well the way the hat was displayed did indeed make it look taller and darker. Accidental or deliberate we shall never know. Gavin Williamson was shown next to a picture of the Kremlin for an entirely different reason. The graphic is a mock up.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
georgew

Post by georgew »

pete75 wrote:
slowster wrote:
georgew wrote:Whoever would have imagined that the BBC could mock-up a graphic of the leader of her Majesty's Opposition...wearing a Russian hat interposed on a picture of the Kremlin?

I could say you would have imagined it, but it's probably more accurate to say that you believed the allegation because of your own confirmation bias:

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-did-the-bbc-edit-a-photo-of-jeremy-corbyn-to-make-him-look-close-to-russia

Well the way the hat was displayed did indeed make it look taller and darker. Accidental or deliberate we shall never know. Gavin Williamson was shown next to a picture of the Kremlin for an entirely different reason. The graphic is a mock up.

Up here we have become used to this sort of thing from the BBC. They stitched two videos together to show an SNP MSP
answering a question from a different time and person. Bernard Ponsonby's book (London Calling: How the BBC Stole the Referendum ) evidenced this and other efforts to decieve the public.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Good to see our potential has been well and truly unleashed:

the economic cost of Brexit has already hit 130 billion pounds ($170 billion), with a further 70 billion pounds set to be added by the end of this year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... or-the-u-k
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Good to see our potential has been well and truly unleashed:

the economic cost of Brexit has already hit 130 billion pounds ($170 billion), with a further 70 billion pounds set to be added by the end of this year.

Brexit is, or shortly will be, a decision made by our elected parliament. If the people don't like the consequences they can elect different people as their MPs. But not for 5 years as they've just elected a party to power which stood on the slogan of 'Get Brexit Done'. Democracy in action.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

carpetcleaner wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Good to see our potential has been well and truly unleashed:

Brexit is, or shortly will be, a decision made by our elected parliament. If the people don't like the consequences they can elect different people as their MPs. But not for 5 years as they've just elected a party to power which stood on the slogan of 'Get Brexit Done'. Democracy in action.

That seems entirely irrelevant to the point I made, that being that Brexit has already been, and will continue to be, destructive to the economic potential of the country.

"Get Brexit Done" does nothing to explain how we will go about dealing with this reality.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

People often leave well paid jobs to improve other aspects of their lives. Brexit is a bit like that. The so called experts continue to pour scorn on Brexit but time will tell. The 'experts' seem to have had a very chequered track record up to now.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:People often leave well paid jobs to improve other aspects of their lives. Brexit is a bit like that. The so called experts continue to pour scorn on Brexit but time will tell. The 'experts' seem to have had a very chequered track record up to now.

Al

What other aspects of life will it improve?

Choosing to leave a well paid job is a personal decision. It affects the person who so chooses not the man living next door or over the road.
If the economic ill effects of Brexit were only to affect those who wanted it your analogy would hold good. As they will affect everyone it doesn't.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker