Towbar Mounted Bike Rack

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
De Sisti

Re: Towbar Mounted Bike Rack

Post by De Sisti »

Mick F wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Bit of a scare story I suppose. If you didn't pull up sharpe behind the car in front maybe the car
behind you wouldn't have done the same.
Obviously correct of course.
Once bitten, twice shy.

Apologies from me. I didn't mean to cause any offence.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

groberts wrote:Thanks everyone, very helpful.

Which versions of the Thule do you have / recommend for x2 bikes (intrigued to know which one you have Rob that converts from x2 to x3 bike)?

I'm drawn to the current Easy Fold, though they are expensive.

Graham

I use one of these and can recommend it https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/t ... 2-_-970000
Richard M
Cardiff
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

De Sisti wrote:
Mick F wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Bit of a scare story I suppose. If you didn't pull up sharpe behind the car in front maybe the car
behind you wouldn't have done the same.
Obviously correct of course.
Once bitten, twice shy.

Apologies from me. I didn't mean to cause any offence.
No offence taken in the slightest.

It all happened very suddenly. Sorted very amicably too.

It's just upset us greatly with respect to my precious Mercian being vulnerable. Mrs Mick F was more alarmed than me at the time. I was more pragmatic and fatalistic, but she was almost screaming when we were bumped knowing that Mercian was out there being (possibly) crushed.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider a bike on a rack behind the car ever again. As I said, once bitten, twice shy.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I never felt easy when my bike was on a rack behind a car, not just in case of an impact from the rear, but because it stuck out either side too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Place bike across back seat of VW caravelle with 6 passengers weekend baggage beneath!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6uwkxbrEFdVJVaTL8

Cheers James
1942alexander

Post by 1942alexander »

I have the one in Mick F's photo. Super design, well made and goes in my boot during the bike ride. Easily fitted, doesn't shake about, even at speed and is adjustable in width. Also used to take my vintage bikes to cycle shows.
Alex
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We use a Pendle "Hang On" with two vertical bars rather than one with a floor. That has options for different types of hitch. The big advantage is that it comes apart and fits in the boot of small cars without taking up much space.

https://pendle-bike.co.uk/collections/t ... w-bar-rack

Jonathan
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

If you can, have a look at Witters offerings to see if they do a bracket with a detachable ball of the British (i.e. flage with 2 bolt holes to hold the ball) type.

I suggest this for 2 reasons

1) when the ball wears out its about 20 quid rather than 150+ to replace!

2) I have more faith in the security of the flanged fitting towball rack (using a plate that uses the two bolt holes) than the modern type that clamps onto the towball.

I used a Witter bike rack - the simple one, similar to the ZX*8 for years and was quite happy with it, but did NOT use it while towing the caravan at the same time because
a) It takes up noseweight e.g. if the carrier + bikes weigh 20kg, and your car has a 75kg noseweight limit, then you can't put more than 55kg onto the towball, and this may be too low for your caravan (assuming you have one!)
b) When tight maneouvering, there's a high risk that the bike wheels will become trapped between the rear of the car and the caravan front end/gas bottle locker etc.

You will need a lighting board 'cos the cars rear lights and number plate will be obscured..

Of course, if you are not towing you can save a huge amount of dosh by having a detachable rack, I would recommend the Saris Bones. This also means that you won't have the potential depreciation on your car associated with having a towing bracket on it, nor will you have to keep checking that the bolt holes are properly rustproofed!Nor, if the car is new, do you have to worry about approved manufacturer fitting and parts so as not to invalidate the vehicle warranty.

BE AWARE THAT SOME VARIANTS OF CAR MODELS ARE NOT APPROVED FOR TOWING SO CANNOT HAVE A TOWBAR FITTED - When I bought our last car I found this, certain models of Focus, Astra and other cars could have one fitted, some could not. Often the sports and eco versions cannot so you do need to check the specific car you are thinkiing of buying. How to tell? 2 ways
1) does the brochure list a towbar as an accessory, and does it give towing limits
2) The plate that you'll find onn the car somewhere giving axle loading - I'll leave you to look that one up here
https://www.towbarexpress.co.uk/maximum-towing-weight/!

I do carry a bike on an MX5 with the Bones, its a 2007 model car and in this case required no sophisticated electrics for the lighting board (the cable coils up in the boot when not in use) .
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote:We use a Pendle "Hang On" with two vertical bars rather than one with a floor. That has options for different types of hitch. The big advantage is that it comes apart and fits in the boot of small cars without taking up much space.

https://pendle-bike.co.uk/collections/t ... w-bar-rack

Jonathan

I used one for years, quite heavy but really strong. We carried 4 bikes on ours and travelled the length of France with them.
One criticism is that you can easily damage paintwork on the bikes.
RickH

Post by RickH »

groberts wrote:
Bsteel wrote:It may be worth checking the nose weight limit of any towbar ( vertical load limit ) to ensure it is enough to take the total weight of the carrier + bikes.

Yes I had considered that and luckily have a shop just round the corner I've just visited, who showed me a detachable tow bar which has a 100kg verticle load which should be OK? The Thule Easy Fold takes 60Kg and weighs 17.6kg itself.

Still a little concerned with warranty issues and parking sensors but they assure me they're OK and already do dealeship vehicles for Skoda.

Graham

The car itself will have a noseweight limit that shouldnt be exceeded & is likely to be less than 100kg even if the towball itself can take 100 kg.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Gross train weight vs gross vehicle weight.
If they are the same, you can't tow.

We have a hybrid Yaris. We call her Jennifer ......... Cornish name meaning the "fair one" as she's a white Yaris.
Cannot tow.
Jennifer VIN Plate.jpeg

Last car was a Fiat 500 called Rosa, as she was red! :D
She could tow.
Rosa VIN Plate.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

RickH wrote:
groberts wrote:
Bsteel wrote:It may be worth checking the nose weight limit of any towbar ( vertical load limit ) to ensure it is enough to take the total weight of the carrier + bikes.

Yes I had considered that and luckily have a shop just round the corner I've just visited, who showed me a detachable tow bar which has a 100kg verticle load which should be OK? The Thule Easy Fold takes 60Kg and weighs 17.6kg itself.

Still a little concerned with warranty issues and parking sensors but they assure me they're OK and already do dealeship vehicles for Skoda.

Graham

The car itself will have a noseweight limit that shouldnt be exceeded & is likely to be less than 100kg even if the towball itself can take 100 kg.

Correct - the same bracket, or style of bracket, may fit several different vehicles or variants, each of which have different capacities for trailer weight and noseweight.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !