JOGLE for a fit novice

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Express842

JOGLE for a fit novice

Post by Express842 »

Ok, so I’m opening myself up to get some honest opinions. I’m a reasonably fit 48 year old with no serious cycling experience that is aiming to do the JOGLE in late July 2020. I’ve been ‘training’ since October 19 on a mountain bike doing 2 to 3 rides a week of 10 to 30 miles. I’ve built up now to comfortably 50 miles back to back over a weekend and am off tomorrow for my longest ride yet, 90 miles. I’ve just brought a road bike and my aim is to ride it in 10 days and I havens support vehicle travelling with me throughout. My questions are 1. Do you think I’m on the right lines rd training. 2. What route should I take. 3. Anything I really should know.
richardfm

Re: JOGLE for a fit novice

Post by richardfm »

I suggest you read through the many threads in the forum covering the same questions
Richard M
Cardiff
robgul

Post by robgul »

Loads of stuff at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk - including ready-made routes to suit all tastes.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Some years ago, I rode out to Camelford to ride with a LEJOGer on his way to Okehampton for his first night. 100miles ish LE to Okehampton.

It became obvious to me riding with him, that he wasn't an experienced cyclist, but he was making a brave stab at it. By the time we made it to Launceston (75miles ish) he was tiring. By the time we were climbing the long hills on the Old A30, be was almost dropping. I talked endlessly to him to keep him going .......... and he made it. From our chats, the longest ride he had EVER done before his LEJOG, was only 40miles. :shock:

When we got to Okehampton, he thanked me profusely for keeping him awake and keeping him going. He made it to JOG ok, but the LE to Okehampton stretch was the longest and hardest for him.

Moral of my little story, is that an inexperienced cyclist can actually do it, but it's FAR better if you practice cycling much further than your longest planned leg.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Welcome to the Forum.

You seem to be well on track with regards the training. Just continue to increase the mileage of your rides towards your target, and try to complete a couple of back to back rides of 100 miles plus. This is important not just for fitness but it will also serve as an important confidence boost. There are also other issues that may arise as you increase your mileage towards and beyond 100 miles. A less than ideal bike fit or a less than ideal saddle may well be OK over 50 miles but can literally become a PIA after100 miles . You will also gain important experience of how much food and water you need to take on board to stay adequately fuelled and hydrated.

I'd also add a few words about route planning. A 10 day schedule roughly equates to an average of around 100miles per day but don't treat this as an inflexible target. You can't avoid hills in the UK but some parts are hillier than others. There's a good case to be made for varying your daily mileage according to the severity of the gradients. As Mick F's post makes clear Cornwall has some of the most morale sapping hills that you are likely to encounter on the entire ride. If you're starting at that end of the country a couple of shorter days, say 75-80 miles, makes more sense and you will easily make up the mileage as the hills get easier and your fitness increases.

With vehicle support you also have additional options. If you're having a good day you can ride on beyond your planned mileage and use the vehicle to return to your overnight stop.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It’s the continual effort that’s the key difference. You can ride a hundred miles? Superb. Can you do it again the following day, with not much proper rest? You can? Superb, how about repeating the trick on the third day, possibly with sore bits, niggles, knocks? Okay, proper job, now for the fourth day, still feeling the love? Etc. Etc. Etc. LEJOG / JOGLE, is about 60 percent physical endurance, and 40 percent mental fortitude. If you’re doing it supported / with a group, it will make that 40 percent a lot easier for sure.
awinf

Post by awinf »

Hi
We rode LEJOG last year (2019), you can read my blog/diary on a separate thread and it may provide some route advice - a few people have offered alternative routes there too.
Whilst I'm a strong cyclist LEJOG was a big step for my wife who had trained in a similar manner to yourself. I'd suggest 10 days is a challenge and would recommend 14 - as others have said, cycling 100 miles a day EVERYDAY for 10 days is very different than for 2 or 3. Throw in significant climbing and, dare I say it, the great British weather and 100 miles + per day suddenly starts to feel like a lot!
I'm sure your training will build and it's a realistic goal but 10 will be a relentless effort, hope the above helps.

Adam
Express842

Post by Express842 »

Thank you, very useful starting point. I will keep reading, and cycling of course.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'm sure you can do it.

1) don't go fully loaded for camping that really will slow you down. I used bike packing bags as opposed to pannier which I think are faster.. :? :?

2) Eat well make sure you have plenty of food and rest regularly. Break the days ride down into 25 mile rides and break for a decent length of time at each. My rule of thumb was if the weather was poor I went inside a cafe if not I stayed outside.

3) you still have time to get some good training in! a couple of 100 mile rides back to back around Easter time would be ideal along with 50miles each weekend.

I did 120 mile days and got round it in 8 days so I'm sure you can too.

Cheers James
dim

Post by dim »