Alesa aero rims

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SimonCelsa

Alesa aero rims

Post by SimonCelsa »

I am slowly building up an 80's Raleigh Record Ace frameset for use as a low maintenance commuter/general runaround. As I have 4 other bikes plus a tandem then I don't want to spend too much on this project. Am aiming for fixed gear with a front hub brake, and am not too fussy on the aesthetics of the finished article - function over form.

I recently acquired a couple of Alesa rims on eBay, full description as: "Alesa 700c clincher aero anodised wheel rims vintage road race 36h pista track."

I cannot find much info regarding these rims, would anyone have any knowledge on this marque and whether I have bought a right pile of scheisen or are they reasonable quality. My commute is only 5 miles on undulating urban roads, I will fit 25mm road tyres and will not be breaking any speed records with the daily shopping on my back on the way home. here is a link to the original listing (if it works, it might only be accessible from my eBay login);

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alesa-700c-c ... true&rt=nc

Cheers, Simon
9494arnold

Re: Alesa aero rims

Post by 9494arnold »

If the rims are pure track rims you probably can't use a rim brake on them (so fixed and hub should be ok)? Don't know this as a fact, merely an observation.Same principle as disc brake specific rims methinks. Might not be strong enough to cope with potholes either though.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

If the rims are pure track rims

That was one of my initial reservations although the seller reckons they are not really track specific. He used them on road with a front rim brake. If I hear nothing to scare me off them I will build them up and see!!
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have seen Alesa rims used on road bikes but whether they were that model I can't say. They look like clincher rims not tub rims and I have never come across track rims designed for clinchers. Chances are they are road rim but the profile doesn't suit brake pads particularly well and the breadth of the brake wear on one rim appears rather rather excessive and too low. Hopefully it is only superficial.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I have a couple of pairs of Alesa rims , some narrower in profile and could be loosely described as Aero section. than others . All take brakes comfortably.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

'Alesa' was the name of one rim manufacturing plant in Belgium. For some years it manufactured rims for Weinmann and these usually appeared with 'Alesa' marked on them as well. I'm not quite sure what happened exactly but in the course of a few years Rigida bought and sold various plants and eventually became 'Ryde', Weinmann stopped making rims in Europe at all, and a new brand called EXAL appeared, which is somehow associated with Schurmann. The name EXAL comes from "ex-Alesa", geddit?

Anyway Alesa rims were pretty good quality BITD and some of their designs live on, now made in different versions by different makers. For example there is more than one ZAC19 rim (I think you can buy one with Ryde or Weinmann branding and they are not the same rim) and the Rigida/Ryde sputnik is a dead ringer for an old Alesa rim and a current EXAL one. Alesa rims with yellow vinyl graphics are, I think, likely to be from the middle to late '90s.

I don't recognise those particular rims but as others have said, being clinchers, they are most likely meant to work with a rim brake. They are old enough that they won't have machined brake surfaces, wear indicators, etc, so don't be surprised if you don't see them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Have you given any consideration to the hub you are going to use? track hubs are 120 wide and your Ace will most probably be 126mm. From personal experience, a pair of wheels with a screw on freewheel hub and an alloy adaptor from ebay, with thread lock to prevent it unscrewing will give the correct chainline. If the wheels are quick release, use one of the same age and do up very tight.
There are also adaptors available that convert a Shimano cassette hub in a similar way.
Sorry to go off on a tangent to your rim query but the above may be of use to you. I have freewheel wheels and both adaptors available should you be interested, but this is not a sales pitch just some advice that may be of some assistance to you.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Have you given any consideration to the hub you are going to use?

I have the hubs sat here waiting, a Sturmey Archer front 70mm drum brake (100mm OLN) and a Sturmey Archer rear fixed/free (130mm OLN which I can respace as required). When the rims show up I can measure them and then get the correct length spokes. Hopefully be riding it by the end of the month (just ready for the snow, ice and other 'beasts from the Easts' and all that palava!!)

Thanks for the other info Brucey, much encyclopedic knowledge!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Fine.
I have one with rim brakes. Braking surface isn't as deep as some but enough.As you are not using rim brakes who cares anyway?
As its a clincher it isn't a track rim and 36 holes should be fine for most purposes even if it isn't as strong as some modern rims. Might be quite narrow compared with modern rims if you are going for wider tyres.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Think all my Alesa's are box section so some strength there, but not double eyletted.