Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattheus

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Post by mattheus »

I do (very roughly) 90% of my riding with ears free and unencumbered. I also rode without even trying earphones for about 90% of my years on this earth.

Although I admit an imperfect memory, I can't recall how hearing traffic has made any significant improvement to my safety. (It's only 1 data-point, but the one time Ive been hospitalised after a cycling incident, i was bare-eared, and hearing/sounds were irrelevant to me, and to the driver involved).

I don't see what these scenarios are where I benefit significantly from hearing a vehicle behind me. I'm sure that deaf cyclists are as safe as me, to within an unmeasurable difference.

Of course it doesn't do any harm to enhance one of your senses!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MJR
Well you're right about that I probably couldn't see those as I couldn't see the more obvious wireless ones if anyone has long hair or a wearing say a beanie hat covering their ears.
But I can say that if someone doesn't respond to my quite loud bell or my equally loud raised voice when I'm approaching from behind it's odds on they're wearing earbuds that I can observe when passing them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:I do (very roughly) 90% of my riding with ears free and unencumbered. I also rode without even trying earphones for about 90% of my years on this earth.

Although I admit an imperfect memory, I can't recall how hearing traffic has made any significant improvement to my safety. (It's only 1 data-point, but the one time Ive been hospitalised after a cycling incident, i was bare-eared, and hearing/sounds were irrelevant to me, and to the driver involved).

I don't see what these scenarios are where I benefit significantly from hearing a vehicle behind me. I'm sure that deaf cyclists are as safe as me, to within an unmeasurable difference.

Deaf people make up for their deafness in other ways,mainly by extra use of their sight.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I am very aware of this phenomenon - I'm sure google will turn up evidence, just as it would turn-up evidence of the blind cyclist who has learned to ride using echo-location.

But do you know that this compensation brings them upto the same safety level as other cyclists?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:I do (very roughly) 90% of my riding with ears free and unencumbered. I also rode without even trying earphones for about 90% of my years on this earth.

Deaf people make up for their deafness in other ways,mainly by extra use of their sight.

A strategy equally available to those with good hearing. Personally, even when I hear nothing, I still use my eyes to confirm it is safe to change my line, or whatever. It would surely be foolhardy not to.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

… and I'd add that yesterday up on the Ridgeway, wind noise completely killed any sense of following traffic. I didn't feel that made any tangible difference to our safety.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:
A strategy equally available to those with good hearing. Personally, even when I hear nothing, I still use my eyes to confirm it is safe to change my line, or whatever. It would surely be foolhardy not to.

Quite!
But a deaf person has totally lost or never had their sense of hearing as a result un/subconsciuosly has more acute sense of that loss and makes up for that loss with other senses.
Whereas a hearing person with music directly into the ear is a completely senario,such as the music etc may become a distraction in itself
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Jan 2020, 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:… and I'd add that yesterday up on the Ridgeway, wind noise completely killed any sense of following traffic. I didn't feel that made any tangible difference to our safety.

A RVM may have helped :wink:
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Quite!
But a deaf person has totally lost or never had their sense of hearing as a result un/subconsciuosly has more acute sense of that loss and makes up for that loss with other senses.
Whereas a hearing person with music directly into the ear is a completely senario,such as the music etc may become a distraction in itself

For myself, I am confident that I would not forget that the reason I cannot hear anything coming is that I have a voice in my ear.
As I have already said, my difficulty with listening to GQT etc. is that engine noise drowns it out.
I am still puzzled about what devices those riders who cannot hear traffic because their music drowns it are using.
I don't listen to music while riding.
The distraction argument also applies to drivers.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 13 Jan 2020, 2:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:MJR
Well you're right about that I probably couldn't see those as I couldn't see the more obvious wireless ones if anyone has long hair or a wearing say a beanie hat covering their ears.
But I can say that if someone doesn't respond to my quite loud bell or my equally loud raised voice when I'm approaching from behind it's odds on they're wearing earbuds that I can observe when passing them.

Indeed, you may be able to say that, but it does not follow from that that all earbug users are failing to notice you. There are really a lot of people using headphones of various sorts for various reasons and I suspect much less than half have them set to drown out all else. Let's not fall into the usual gutter press trap of tarring a whole group with the same brush.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Quite!

The distraction argument also applies to drivers.

Quite!
Though drivers also usually have 3 RVMs are sat in a comfortable space,unaffected by weather or a need to balance and without the fear/concern/worry of not being seen by other road users.As I posted up thread a car is a completely different experience to cycling.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:Indeed, you may be able to say that, but it does not follow from that that all earbug users are failing to notice you. There are really a lot of people using headphones of various sorts for various reasons and I suspect much less than half have them set to drown out all else. Let's not fall into the usual gutter press trap of tarring a whole group with the same brush.

I'm not "falling" into anything much less "gutter press tarring" of anyone merely pointing out what I witness when out cycling.As I posted previously it's anyone's prerogative to wear them and that personally they in no way enhance my cycling but rob me of my enjoyment of cycling,the environment around me,and some of one of my senses.
I feel I both desire and need all of my senses in total when out cycling,YVMV and you have every right to disagree.
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Jan 2020, 2:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:… and I'd add that yesterday up on the Ridgeway, wind noise completely killed any sense of following traffic. I didn't feel that made any tangible difference to our safety.

Which "rvm" do you mean?
realtors valuation model - ruby version manager - royal victorian medal

???
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:The distraction argument also applies to drivers.

Quite!
Though drivers also usually have 3 RVMs are sat in a comfortable space,unaffected by weather or a need to balance and without the fear/concern/worry of not being seen by other road users.As I posted up thread a car is a completely different experience to cycling.

A glance in my spectacle mounted mirror requires a slight swivelling of the eyeball. I find this quick and easy and entirely adequate. Driving ought to be a rather demanding task because they are going considerably faster and so need to react more rapidly and also have more controls to handle. It is true though that many of them are not really up to the job.
Does distraction from the job at hand really not apply to drivers for your reasons? I cannot think so.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Which "rvm" do you mean?
realtors valuation model - ruby version manager - royal victorian medal

???

FYI Rear View Mirror :)
W H Auden