Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Post by mjr »

JohnW wrote:The OP was about problems experienced, whether real or imagined, with ear-plugs (or whatever you'd call them), and my support for the idea that they are not of benefit to riding my bike hasn't altered.

And that discussion was moved to another topic by the mods back on page 2 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77893&start=15#p683978 but bashers just can't resist subverting every headphone thread by preaching their mistaken beliefs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote:
JohnW wrote:The OP was about problems experienced, whether real or imagined, with ear-plugs (or whatever you'd call them), and my support for the idea that they are not of benefit to riding my bike hasn't altered.

And that discussion was moved to another topic by the mods back on page 2 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77893&start=15#p683978 but bashers just can't resist subverting every headphone thread by preaching their mistaken beliefs.

JohnW that is a very strange reading of the OP. It was pretty clear what he was asking for.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

No baked beans, no wind noise .......................
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mattheus wrote:
mjr wrote:

JohnW that is a very strange reading of the OP. It was pretty clear what he was asking for.

I've looked back at the OP, and certainly the question was basically about reduction of wind noise.
I do interpret that as a 'problem' for him (or her).
Sorry to confuse you about my 'interpretation', but there it is.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

As my beloved, wise, grandad used to say:

Clear as mud!
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I often ride with ear buds in, usually just one, but I find I can't really hear any traffic noise due to wind noise, maybe my large ears cause a lot of wind noise, or maybe my helmet causes a lot of wind noise. I went out one day without my helmet on and it was amazing how much quieter it was. Perhaps there's some correlation on here between people wearing helmets and believing wearing headphones makes little difference due to not being able to hear any traffic noise, and then maybe non-helmet wearers believing headphones are a bad idea as they can actually hear traffic. I'm yet to get some fur and experiment with reducing the noise.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Morzedec wrote:No baked beans, no wind noise .......................

when I said "cans" those weren't quite what I had in mind, mind you... would a baked bean prove effective when placed in one's ear at blocking wind noise, a very Zen conundrum.

Ah human sociology. If we all wear hi vis then pretty soon anyone who doesn't will be run over.

I never wear a helmet and sometimes feel marginalised when in a group, but until I believe that helmet technology has improved to the point that the benefits outweigh the negatives, I'll stick to free choice. Helmets come under the HSE category of second tier control measures. Avoiding an accident is first tier goal, and in my opinion anyway, being able to hear and hence locate the presence and position of other road users is pretty important to my mind. I do feel that in traffic that choosing to restrict an important sense is perhaps a less than wise choice, but it is a choice.
I would argue that there is some difference between a cyclist with headphones, and a motorist with 400watts of 'music'. In EVERY test on average subjects in a driving simulator, it does result in lowered attention and slower reaction times, hence leading to greater danger to other road users. Though I suppose that it is also possible that a cyclist on the boil listening to say "Eye of the Tiger" might become so focused on racing that he runs a red light and kills a pedestrian. Suppose it depends on why we listen to music, in a gym we usually listen to it to counter boredom, energise ourselves and drown out the piped music which we don't like.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

JohnW wrote:I don't want to underestimate the benefits of rear-view mirrors (RVM) - they are fairly recent additions to my cycling, and they are a boon - very much so.
However, I don't have my eyes on them all the time - if I did I wouldn't be looking where I was going.

I HEAR an HGV behind me, and for the sake of my life and to be helpful to the HJGV driver, I often pull off when safe, to allow him to pass.
On twisting country lanes I can hear boy-racers and agricultural giant tractors behind me - even though I can't see them.
Even when I know (via the RVM) that there's a car behind me, the sound of a revving engine gives a clue as to the driver's attitude and intentions.

My answer to those who can't understand the benefit of hearing and listening, I can only say that I've learned it by experience.
The other night, I could HEAR an unlit quad-bike behind me on the greenway in the dark, and pulled off. (This isn't an invitation to discuss the legalities of scroats on quad-bikes on greenways).
Just last evening, I could HEAR a ghetto-blasted boy-racer for quite a long way behind me before I could see his lights - it occurred to me that he was a brain-dead-head-case so I pulled off - when he passed I could clearly see that I was right.

John - don't be discouraged, don't let the knowledge gained by experience be belittled by those who live in more fortunate localities - rejoice with them in their good fortune.

You seem to spend a lot of time “pulling off” when you hear a vehicle behind you. I’m surprised that you ever get anywhere. I never pull off for anybody. I did once, to let traffic past at a contra flow, but they wouldn’t let me back in again.

I don’t see how you can tell how much danger you are in by the sound of the vehicle behind you. The fast-revving boy racer may pass very wide, whereas the plodding OAP may be the one that knocks you off.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mattheus wrote:As my beloved, wise, grandad used to say:

Clear as mud!

Keep out of t' mud laddie - it gets on yer shoes, then onto thi pedals, and before tha knows it tha's cleanin' thi bike up.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

TrevA wrote:...................You seem to spend a lot of time “pulling off” when you hear a vehicle behind you. I’m surprised that you ever get anywhere. I never pull off for anybody..............

I admire your surveillance system which tells you how much time I spend doing what.
Do you do it by satellite? or a drone? - and if the latter do you have a fleet of drones sending back detailed information about the moves of several people?
It's very interesting - have you patented it?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:As son as she me one restricts the argument to cycling, it means the comparisons have undermined their argument.

It is simple, a closed car window offers the same loss of audible input as headphones on medium volume

I disagree on the grounds of vulnerability of cycling in traffic,cars lack the same vulnerability and most cyclists are two wheelers and aren't treated with the respect they deserve,also most cyclist don't have a RVM which isn't a legal requirement.
The comparison of cyclist v motorist in this context isn't a valid one IMHO

Rubbish...Enntirely valid and appropriate

I always love it when motorists are given a carte Blanche to maim and kill with no responsibility. It is nothing to do with vulnerability, but being able to assess the environment about you whether that input be visual, olfactory, or visual

Just think of all the audible signals that they are being allowed to exclude...

Let’s take an example

You see an obstacle, it is obvious the road user has not, “Watch Out” could prevent the accident, but because they have chosen to mask the noise, the driver cannot hear it and someone is killed or injured?

I am unsure how mirrors help the driver to hear and in any way help
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:Rubbish...Enntirely valid and appropriate

No it isn't rubbish at all,nor is it valid or appropriate.

I always love it when motorists are given a carte Blanche to maim and kill with no responsibility

You do?
I don't.
It is nothing to do with vulnerability, but being able to assess the environment about you whether that input be visual, olfactory, or visual

It is everthing to do with the vulnerability of the cyclist and pedestrian in a land where the the car driver can so easily get out of his/her responsibilities with a useless police force and grossly biased judiciary system!

Just think of all the audible signals that they are being allowed to exclude...

Let’s take an example

You see an obstacle, it is obvious the road user has not, “Watch Out” could prevent the accident, but because they have chosen to mask the noise, the driver cannot hear it and someone is killed or injured?

I am unsure how mirrors help the driver to hear and in any way help

The problem is,like it or not,I don't,and suspect you don't either,the motorist has been allowed a status by the authorities as 'top dog' on our roads and because of that I,as a cyclist feel I need all my faculties unhindered,which coincidentally is also what I prefer.
YVMV mine won't!

EDITED,for clarity
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The motorists are given carte blanche by allowing them to dismiss their responsibility to hear by closing their windows on the grounds that they are less vulnerable and have rearview mirrors to help them hear

Yet rearview mirrors apparently don't aid cyclist's hearing, in the same way, so they have to compensate for the driver's decision to compromise the cyclist's safety!

Bixarre
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:The motorists are given carte blanche by allowing them to dismiss their responsibility to hear by closing their windows on the grounds that they are less vulnerable and have rearview mirrors to help them hear

Yet rearview mirrors apparently don't aid cyclist's hearing, in the same way, so they have to compensate for the driver's decision to compromise the cyclist's safety!

Bixarre

That,unfortunate as bizarre as it is,is the status quo.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The motorists are given carte blanche by allowing them to dismiss their responsibility to hear by closing their windows on the grounds that they are less vulnerable and have rearview mirrors to help them hear

Bixarre

That,unfortunate as bizarre as it is, is the status quo.

Yes, that about sums it up.