New Royals Going It Alone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pliptrot

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Post by pliptrot »

georgew wrote:My goodness......talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

That such an institution as the Royal family should exist in our times is an obscenity. It is the foundation-stone of the class system which has done so much to corrupt our every institution. When one considers that the Royals exist at this time when some of our citizens are sleeping in the streets and mothers are forced to use Foodbanks in order to feed their children, should be repugnant to anyone retaining even a shred of morality. That we should cling to the notion that "blood" in some way renders superiority on certain people.... is stupifying in our age. It seems to me that Royalists must need to feel subordinate in some way, and this... even if the reasoning for their existence is given as being valuable as representatives of the nation. Still.....never mind....let's all discuss the fate of these two people and how well they will survive on Harry's £10 million. After all, that's what's really important.

What he said. Anyone who doesn't think that the monarchy should be disbanded immediately, please answer these points.
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

Hello
Harry wants to go it alone, financially independent, I assume without an H.R.H. title. Very brave to drop out of the media spotlight into a world where he can be private. His specialities are Waving , Smiling, Hand shaking, Cutting ribbons , Looking good in a well tailored suit and Getting premises he visits decorated.
He will probably find that paid careers like that are hard to come by as a non royal. Harry may also find what we call work is not as much fun as he thought.
Harry is now well down the hereditary line so he does not really matter and, as William's children grow up ,more media focus will be on them and Harry will be forgotten. Of course if he finds work is not for him he can afford to go on a permanent holiday but probably not in that mobile home illustrated earlier.

John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

bikerider wrote:Hello
Harry wants to go it alone, financially independent, I assume without an H.R.H. title. Very brave to drop out of the media spotlight into a world where he can be private. His specialities are Waving , Smiling, Hand shaking, Cutting ribbons , Looking good in a well tailored suit and Getting premises he visits decorated.
He will probably find that paid careers like that are hard to come by as a non royal. Harry may also find what we call work is not as much fun as he thought.
Harry is now well down the hereditary line so he does not really matter and, as William's children grow up ,more media focus will be on them and Harry will be forgotten. Of course if he finds work is not for him he can afford to go on a permanent holiday but probably not in that mobile home illustrated earlier.

John

Actually, Harry was a professional and respected soldier who serves in a dangerous war zone.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
An artist too I believe :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well he did try to serve in the army until a media outlet let slip where he was. How many of those he fought with were there to protect him considering he was higher up the royalty tables back then?

Interestingly, I believe another royal who was out of the direct line served in a dangerous role in a war zone with real distinction. He was a helicopter pilot in the Falklands. Apparently they had the job of decoys for the highly effective, French made exocet missiles the argentinians used. Get it right they attracted the missiles but rose too quickly for the missiles to hit them in their upward trajectory. Get it wrong the ship got hit or the helicopter got hit. It was a split second decision that meant the difference between success and failure. Many died. Not many know about this. I got told about it by the proud father of a sailor who served down there. He got told by his son.

I hope that is true, perhaps mick might know.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mattheus wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:It is a pity if people play the racism card. But that does not diminish the evil of racism.

It can undermine the cause when overused.

See also: "Fake News! Fake News!"[/quote

Too often I see charges of 'playing the race card' as just another attempt to silence any mention of race. Like accusations of political correctness: which tends to mean "i demand to say whatever I like regardless."

People like Trump shout out "fake news" whenever something is said which criticises him. All tactics to shut down inconvenient truths or differing views.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 18 Jan 2020, 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
dim

Post by dim »

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Seems the Canadians are not too keen on forking out for protecting their new celeb. esp the Quebecians who hate any thing Anglo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51126900

It would be interesting to see his CV wouldn' it. A previous poster gave us a glimse. Well good for a laugh?

He should do a stint at McDonalds ( maybe 2 years ) to see what real life is away from his pampered existance where he can wish to be financially independant brokering mega million deals with DIsney ( many here would like just to make ends meet?)

Seems also the staff at Frogmore cottage is it have been "let go" meaning he wont be there much if at all, that, that expensive refurbishment we would all have liked to be done for free for our homes will maybe used just a few days of the year. Nice if you can get it I suppose. The sooner Liz is gone the better then we can stop "respecting" the monarchy and get rid of the whole lot? Any one here have any respect for Charles? Comes across as just an old man to me.
Last edited by mercalia on 18 Jan 2020, 8:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Would Harry and Meg really need protection? After all it's not as if they're contentious politicos, not the Trumps or Bojos of this world. Nor are they of the more moderate, left-wing branch of the political spectrum, at risk from far right activists. Can't they just be left to their own?

However, it has not escaped my notice (I'm only human, after all) that the Duchess is a very attractive young lady. She may draw the attention of stalkers. As, indeed, do many other young ladies, most of whom don't get the benefit of 24/7 police protection...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

LATEST
Harry and Meghan will not use HRH titles - palace

Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer use their HRH titles and will not receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The couple will also no longer formally represent The Queen.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they intend to repay £2.4m of taxpayer money for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51163865

On the other hand they are still keeping their titles?..... I dont think they are giving up much?

They should give them up dont you think? left hand and right hand hmmmm.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mercalia wrote:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they intend to repay £2.4m of taxpayer money for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home.

On the other hand they are still keeping their titles?..... I dont think they are giving up much?.

I think 2.4m is quite a wedge. You may differ...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Let them keep their titles. No-one is a 'Highness' as far as I'm concerned anyway.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oldjohnw wrote:Let them keep their titles. No-one is a 'Highness' as far as I'm concerned anyway.

There may be some advantages/privileges involved in hanging on to a dukedom - or other peerage. I just looked up in Anatomy of Britain, by Anthony Sampson. Admittedly this book was written in 1962 so it may be a bit out-of-date. He writes:
A lord finds it easier to get servants, to run up credit [obviously no longer true only of lords!], to get the best cuts of beef, to book tables at restaurants and sleepers on trains.
If Harry and Meg do fancy a nice juicy steak (ugh!) followed by a trip on the Caledonian sleeper, I wish them well. :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I thought I posted this earlier?
Maybe it was removed, if it goes again I will know.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/10148 ... rich-list/
Attachments
DD-COMPOSITE-ROYAL-RICH-LIST-5.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mattheus wrote:
mercalia wrote:

On the other hand they are still keeping their titles?..... I dont think they are giving up much?.

I think 2.4m is quite a wedge. You may differ...

and who will pay that? Charles I bet.

given his private wealth is £30m it is outrageous he got the tax payer to refurb his home in the first place?

So his paying it back is not be congratulated?
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Jan 2020, 9:17pm, edited 2 times in total.