Beware Ye Who Ride On Pathes in Lambeth

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Beware Ye Who Ride On Pathes in Lambeth

Post by mercalia »

WP_20200112_14_45_43_Pro.jpg
gaz

Re: Beware Ye Who Ride On Pathes in Lambeth

Post by gaz »

Any time you're Lambeth way
Any evening, any day
You'll find the plod
Handing out FPNs
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

It's in the Highway Code, sure, but are Highway Code contraventions criminal offences?

Wiki puzzles me.

A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of The Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings (whether civil or criminal, and including proceedings for an offence under the Traffic Acts, the [1981 c. 14.] Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 or sections 18 to 23 of the [1985 c. 67.] Transport Act 1985) be relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or negative any liability which is in question in those proceedings.[5]

Maybe I should ask one of the lawyer motorists who often feel the need to exclaim from their passing window that I shouldn't be riding on the road.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

willswitchengage wrote:It's in the Highway Code, sure, but are Highway Code contraventions criminal offences?

Wiki puzzles me.

A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of The Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings (whether civil or criminal, and including proceedings for an offence under the Traffic Acts, the [1981 c. 14.] Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 or sections 18 to 23 of the [1985 c. 67.] Transport Act 1985) be relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or negative any liability which is in question in those proceedings.[5]

Maybe I should ask one of the lawyer motorists who often feel the need to exclaim from their passing window that I shouldn't be riding on the road.

Well I clearly read the sign well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Act_1835
gaz

Post by gaz »

I see you've been researching whilst I was typing and correctly concluded that it's an offence in law to cycle on a footway, as quoted on the sign. The legality of the sign may be another matter but the sign isn't required for enforcement. It can only be enforced by the police/PCSOs.

I'd suggest that either there is a particular issue at this location or London Borough of Lambeth have a general dislike of cyclists.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

gaz wrote:I see you've been researching whilst I was typing and correctly concluded that it's an offence in law to cycle on a footway, as quoted on the sign. The legality of the sign may be another matter but the sign isn't required for enforcement. It can only be enforced by the police/PCSOs.

I'd suggest that either there is a particular issue at this location or London Borough of Lambeth have a general dislike of cyclists.

its on a lamp post outside Lidls near the Library. Not sure if there are other such signs around, I see that one as as I said it is out side Lidls. It would be better if they put a " no begging" sign there as you get alot of people begging outside Lidls there
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:I see you've been researching whilst I was typing and correctly concluded that it's an offence in law to cycle on a footway, as quoted on the sign.

The sign actually says footpath, which is incorrect.

The legality of the sign may be another matter but the sign isn't required for enforcement. It can only be enforced by the police/PCSOs.

The sign looks like a legal white on blue information sign to me. The regulations allow quite a lot of variation in them.

Either? Might be both.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mercalia wrote:
gaz wrote:I see you've been researching whilst I was typing and correctly concluded that it's an offence in law to cycle on a footway, as quoted on the sign. The legality of the sign may be another matter but the sign isn't required for enforcement. It can only be enforced by the police/PCSOs.

its on a lamp post outside Lidls near the Library. Not sure if there are other such signs around, I see that one as as I said it is out side Lidls. It would be better if they put a " no begging" sign there as you get alot of people begging outside Lidls there

Is there bike parking at Lidl? if there is you are legally allowed to ride across the pavement to that provision.

I wonder if they are enforcing this for all wheeled transport that is not allowed on pavements or just bikes?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I may get some similar signs made up (with the Driving bit), and nail them to the cars parked on pavements round our way.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote:I may get some similar signs made up (with the Driving bit), and nail them to the cars parked on pavements round our way.

Just pop to a joke shop and buy some parking tickets: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pack-of-6- ... 1756193127
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

mattheus wrote:I may get some similar signs made up (with the Driving bit), and nail them to the cars parked on pavements round our way.

It's easiest to hammer the nails into the tyres - the glass is too brittle, and the metal bounces too much. Use screws to attach them to the bodywork.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

But I thought ancient cycling 'laws' were out of date, or is that only when it suits prosecutors and joe public with which to bash cyclists even harder with in a discriminatory way. :roll:
We already know that police and civil agents act in a discriminatory manner toward people on bikes when it comes to enforcing the rules/laws with disproportionate number of penalties compared to motorists who just go about doing what they do however they like.
A typical example is this :twisted:
https://twitter.com/RushmoorCycleF/stat ... 3810411520
pete75

Post by pete75 »

foxyrider wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Is there bike parking at Lidl? if there is you are legally allowed to ride across the pavement to that provision.

I wonder if they are enforcing this for all wheeled transport that is not allowed on pavements or just bikes?

Lidl have a road junction to get to the car park so no problem cycling in. There's obviously plenty of room to park a bike.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:

Just pop to a joke shop and buy some parking tickets: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pack-of-6- ... 1756193127
Brilliant! :D

There's a car up the A390 from Gunnislake that continually parks by the road the wrong way round.
Not illegal during daylight hours but very illegal during hours of darkness.

I took the liberty a few weeks ago of putting leaflet under the wipers stating the HC rule 248.
Rule 248
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.

Passed it a couple of days later, and the leaflet had gone, but the car is STILL being parked the wrong way round 24/7
Put a parking ticket on it eh?
What a hoot! :D

Just here, by the gate.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51566 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

rbrian wrote:

It's easiest to hammer the nails into the tyres - the glass is too brittle, and the metal bounces too much. Use screws to attach them to the bodywork.

Always useful to hear the voice of experience. Cheers.