Beware Ye Who Ride On Pathes in Lambeth

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NUKe

Re: Beware Ye Who Ride On Pathes in Lambeth

Post by NUKe »

Mick F wrote:There's a car up the A390 from Gunnislake that continually parks by the road the wrong way round.
Not illegal during daylight hours but very illegal during hours of darkness.

I took the liberty a few weeks ago of putting leaflet under the wipers stating the HC rule 248.
Rule 248
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.

Passed it a couple of days later, and the leaflet had gone, but the car is STILL being parked the wrong way round 24/7
Put a parking ticket on it eh?
What a hoot! :D

Just here, by the gate.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51566 ... 312!8i6656

Mick
I know this is the law, but a largely ignored one since the early seventies(being the last time Anyone I knew got a ticket)
I just have to ask why this annoys you?
NUKe

Post by tatanab »

^^^^ It annoys me too because it displays the ignorance of the driver. Perhaps it is an age thing.

It is just one of the laws that our highly skilled. trained and tested (according to newspaper letters) drivers either ignore or have forgotten about.
1. Parking facing the wrong way at night.
2. Parking at night without lights on unlit roads.
3. Parking within a set distance (used to be 6 feet but now it is 10 metres) from a junction. Although I agree it could be difficult to determine just where the measurement starts.
4. Pavement driving. Not just for the purposes of parking but for other reasons such as "I don't want to slow down for speed bumps".

Add to that the infringements against the Highway Code such as parking on a bend.

Mick and I are both old enough to remember being sent out to attach parking lights to our father's car. Also when the requirement for parking lights was removed, under the condition that you parked correctly. This was very late 60s or very early 70s.
Last edited by tatanab on 17 Jan 2020, 10:06am, edited 1 time in total.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

It's bloody annoying when folks park-up on their right - still with full (not side) lights on - and you're approaching on an unlit road*. If my bike had Main Beam, I'd feel justified in using it in those situations!

*This usually happens in those cute villages where they removed all their streetlights.

(I suspect Mick's problem car has no lights on?)
Last edited by mattheus on 17 Jan 2020, 12:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

foxyrider wrote:
mercalia wrote:
gaz wrote:I see you've been researching whilst I was typing and correctly concluded that it's an offence in law to cycle on a footway, as quoted on the sign. The legality of the sign may be another matter but the sign isn't required for enforcement. It can only be enforced by the police/PCSOs.

I'd suggest that either there is a particular issue at this location or London Borough of Lambeth have a general dislike of cyclists.

its on a lamp post outside Lidls near the Library. Not sure if there are other such signs around, I see that one as as I said it is out side Lidls. It would be better if they put a " no begging" sign there as you get alot of people begging outside Lidls there

Is there bike parking at Lidl? if there is you are legally allowed to ride across the pavement to that provision.

I wonder if they are enforcing this for all wheeled transport that is not allowed on pavements or just bikes?

I think it is a forgotten sign as people ride on the pavement, some at speed any way and since there are no cops around who is to stop them? Why there? The pavement narrows there as it turns a bend, maybe. I wonder if there had been an accident of some kind in the past?
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Well as somebody who received a mouthful from a truck driver this morning for 'not cycling on the pavement' personally I see this as actually quite a healthy reminder of the delimitation between footpaths and roads.

I'd be interested to know how this applies to shared use pavements which seem to be popping up in practically every single new road development around here.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willswitchengage wrote:I'd be interested to know how this applies to shared use pavements which seem to be popping up in practically every single new road development around here.

Not at all. Legally they will be cycleways. People are permitted to walk on almost all cycleways - and they will walk on most of the ones they aren't, in practice, because no-one polices it. People are permitted to walk on almost all carriageways too, but have been bullied off most urban ones by motorists on pain of death.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NUKe wrote:I know this is the law, but a largely ignored one since the early seventies(being the last time Anyone I knew got a ticket)
I just have to ask why this annoys you?
A lady not far from there who Mrs Mick F knew, was given a fine. She was most annoyed as she wasn't aware of the law. Maybe the late 1980s.

It annoys me because people are inconsiderate, ignorant, and have no idea of WHY the law is the way it is.
Not too bad in streetlights maybe, but if there's a power cut the car parked the wrong way round has no red reflectors showing, and is vulnerable for being hit and causing a nasty accident. Not everyone is alert or has good eyesight ....... even though they should do. Two wrongs don't make a right. All you can do, is obey the law. Ignorance of it is no excuse.

Same issue for me is headlights too bright, no lights on at all when it's foggy, using fog lights when the viz isn't bad.
This latter point reminds me of a chap I worked with in the 1990s getting three points on his licence and a £60 fine for having front fog lights on when the viz wasn't bad.

Off soapbox now. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

tatanab wrote:4. Pavement driving. Not just for the purposes of parking but for other reasons such as "I don't want to slow down for speed bumps".

Wait, what?! Are you seriously saying that some drivers bump up the curbs to get on the pavement at a speed they can't deal with speed bumps?!

I recognise the insanity of taking a couple of tonnes of steel and plastic with you everywhere you go, but I can at least understand it; I was 17 once - but this - I just don't understand.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

mjr wrote:
willswitchengage wrote:I'd be interested to know how this applies to shared use pavements which seem to be popping up in practically every single new road development around here.

Not at all. Legally they will be cycleways. People are permitted to walk on almost all cycleways - and they will walk on most of the ones they aren't, in practice, because no-one polices it. People are permitted to walk on almost all carriageways too, but have been bullied off most urban ones by motorists on pain of death.

Interestingly I think this was the judge's argument in one of those recent high profile prosecutions of a 'maniac' cycling 'mauling down' a pedestrian who stepped out in front of them. The pedestrian has the same right to be walking in the road a cyclist or powered vehicle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

rbrian wrote:
tatanab wrote:4. Pavement driving. Not just for the purposes of parking but for other reasons such as "I don't want to slow down for speed bumps".

Wait, what?! Are you seriously saying that some drivers bump up the curbs to get on the pavement at a speed they can't deal with speed bumps?!

I recognise the insanity of taking a couple of tonnes of steel and plastic with you everywhere you go, but I can at least understand it; I was 17 once - but this - I just don't understand.

Some kerbs are smaller than speed bumps. Some speed bumps have handy drop kerbs either side.

I more often see pavement driving being done as a way to get to the next left turning without waiting in a queue.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

mjr wrote:
rbrian wrote:

Some kerbs are smaller than speed bumps. Some speed bumps have handy drop kerbs either side.

I more often see pavement driving being done as a way to get to the next left turning without waiting in a queue.

I've only ever seen the stuff you're talking about in Grand Theft Auto, in which I take the straightest path I can, running down fences, sign posts, pedestrians, etc, before getting stuck, damaging my car so much it catches fire, then stealing another....

I thought the drivers in Aberdeen were bad, but the recent telly adverts I've been told about (I record stuff and skip the ads, so I've never seen them) telling them to give cyclists space have certainly helped, but half of them don't know what indicators are for. This must sound like heaven to you!
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The utility cyclist wrote:But I thought ancient cycling 'laws' were out of date,
Laws only only "out of date" when they are repealed. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
RH20

Post by RH20 »

Cars parking the wrong way round in the dark without lights etc, just one of laws in this country that we do not seem to enforce anymore.
Here’s one to consider. Viewed in our local press when people have complained about parking on the pavement, the response was. It is not illegal to park on the pavement outside of London, but it is illegal to drive on the pavement!
There must be some very very strong people who are capable of picking up their vehicle and placing it on the pavement. Honestly gov. I did not drive onto the pavement to park. One only has to see the extent of parking on pavements. It would appear that more and more motorists park on the pavement through habit but no-one cares anymore.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No-one?

Some of us Pedantics care.
......... and there are many of us out there.

Trouble is, we don't have any police on the beat.
Last time we saw Devon and Cornwall police, they were in two cars. One in each.

We have two Devon and Cornwall police. One for Devon and one for Cornwall. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

MikeF wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:But I thought ancient cycling 'laws' were out of date,
Laws only only "out of date" when they are repealed. :wink:

Maybe I should have said outmoded, however it's clear that the media circus, government and general public thought that cycling laws were too dated when charging and thus since Alliston there's been a full revue on how many new laws cyclists can be charged with, ignoring the full review on motoring that was promised, despite the massive differential in harm caused. Despite the harm pedestrians do to others and their own group there's no review in that area either, as I said, the actions/laws are discriminatory.