I've lost my wedding ring.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

I've lost my wedding ring.

Post by Mick F »

Married over 46years, and I came in from doing some logging, took my gloves off and noticed that I had no ring on! :shock:
Mrs Mick F came into the kitchen ashen faced and said straight away that it would be in my left glove.

No.

Then it struck me that I was wearing gloves yesterday afternoon walking the dog. I went through to check them.

No.

Then it occurred to me, that me and Sailor-the-Dog called in at the Rising Sun. He for a couple of Bonios, me for a couple of pints. The ring must be there perhaps?

Then, I realised I'd put thick fireproof gloves on yesterday putting logs on the fire, so I checked the left glove ......... and there it was! :D

So .............. no wedding ring on since early yesterday evening - maybe 5ish - until this morning at 11ish ............. and neither me nor Mrs Mick noticed. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Re: I've lost my wedding ring.

Post by peetee »

Although I couldn’t possibly comment on your last paragraph, overall thats pretty good news! :D :oops:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Glad you found it. I don't have that problem as I don't have a wedding ring only Swmbo. It wasn't uncommon back in the 1970's for men not to have a wedding ring. When did the practise of both couples wearing rings become standard. Was it a commercial opportunity like father's Day cards. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

Men also having rings has never been a thing in our family, so I don't have one. I lose stuff very easily, so rings are not for me. And think of the unnecessary grams being carried around!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My grandad had wedding ring. I think men not having them has been personal preference. Women not having them has not been an option by convention.

If it came off so easily perhaps your finger size has changed. You might need to get it adjusted. Just an idea.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I've lost two.Well technically one as I found the second one.
Both were MTB glove related,both after wet rides :|
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think I've already told the story of my mother's ring (I think it was her engagement ring, a diamond doublet and quite valuable). This happened back in the 1950s. We'd spent a day at the seaside (shingle beach) and when we got home my mother discovered the ring missing. Well, the next day my father drove back to the same resort (about 50 miles each way I think), managed to remember which beach we were on, and managed to locate the exact spot where we'd been sitting. He found the ring, tucked in amongst the shingle!

As far as I know my sister still keeps that ring (possibly in a safe deposit). But doesn't wear it. A family heirloom.

Anyway, glad you found yours with less trouble!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Men didn't generally begin wearing wedding rings until WWII, when they began doing so for sentimental reasons, and being away from home.

It has become more common to exchange rings, mostly because of feminism, though many people do not realise it. A wedding ring has sometimes served to represent ownership (Romans used them that way) , so if rings are exchanged, it is seen as more equal.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

rjb wrote: When did the practise of both couples wearing rings become standard. Was it a commercial opportunity like father's Day cards. :lol:

We were married on 1987 and both have rings
Richard M
Cardiff
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

commiserations. You had a chance to not be married and you blew it :wink:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We married in 1974. I didn’t want a ring as my father had told me some gruesome tales of men getting their ring caught in machinery at work.
After 40 yrs we got matching Celtic knot eternity rings.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

My wedding ring is quite heavy, is sometimes a bit tight, but will fall off easily if my hands are cold and once when I was swimming in a coldish pool, usually I remember to take it off. Luckily I noticed and picked it up.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have a wedding ring but its badly bent. It got caught on something whilst I was working with my hands many years ago. I took it off and put it away.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 21 Jan 2020, 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Paulatic wrote:We married in 1974. I didn’t want a ring as my father had told me some gruesome tales of men getting their ring caught in machinery at work.

I've sat through many a "de-gloving" video at work :shock: No matter how many times you see a finger de-gloved it always looks gruesome :|
Apparently the most common "court" style wedding rings are the worst offender for de-gloving fingers.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, My daughter, who lives in Cumbria, happened to come across a Farcebook appeal over a wedding ring found by staff at Bruton Park, home of Carlisle United - The Bonny Blues.
She thought that looks familiar, similar to hers, but larger? So she contacted CU, she asked "does it have an inscription"?
Yes, "what is it"? they asked. Well she told them
When her other half got home from work she grilled him. Oops, "I can't find my ring"! Yep, he'd lost it during the last home game :oops: .
So when they travelled on the supporters coach to Oldham for the next match word had got around, he was ribbed something rotten :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: . I've been "Ringing" him as well :lol: :lol: :lol: TTFN MM