balcony road from bourg d oisans

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jawaka

balcony road from bourg d oisans

Post by jawaka »

I'm going back to the French Alps for the 11th time. As I'm 65 I have wanted to keep going as long as I can and revisiting my first trip: La berarde must be the most beautiful ride possible.

There is a balcony ride parallel and north of the main road serving Le Puy d'oisans and Auris. As part of it is red dashes it is a route dangereuse ou difficile. Street view seems to stop on the route so presumably didn't do that stretch so I wonder how easily it can be ridden?
I was told by a hotel manager that the valley was originally a lake and this was the lakeside road. sometime around 12th century the lake broke and inundated Grenoble. Apparently there are mooring rings on the road left over
jonk

Re: balcony road from bourg d oisans

Post by jonk »

Have you seen this? I’m not sure if it has the answer to your question but I found these guides useful when I went for a week there 10 years ago. It’s still the best week of cycling I’ve ever had and I’m going back this year to revisit it too.

https://www.bike-oisans.com/velo-de-rou ... res-cyclo/
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Do you mean the D211a from La Garde (6th hairpin on the Alpe d'Huez road) to Le Freney dOisans, just below the big dam?
It shows OK on my StreetView https://goo.gl/maps/7KtHAqE8ciqTJ8WC9

I would imagine that the red dashes are because it's not 2 cars wide, and a considerable distance of reversing may be required. Having said that, I'm looking at IGN, which doesn't have red dashes.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Its was fine last June. Quiet and perfectly rideable.
Used that website for a weeks rides. The road up to Oulles is fun and the Sarenne is spectacular. Easier if done "backwards" with Alp dHuez first. La Berade is nice and quite and the Notre Dame route is different.
Campag

Post by Campag »

It's about 10 years ago so things might have changed.... a fantastic little back road heading along the side of a cliff, high above the town and looking across the valley to the main road. If I remember correctly, it went to a little mountain village called Les Gauchoirs. One cafe, run by the mayor. A tough road, with a couple of unlit tunnels so lights needed. I turned back after a coffee break at the village, the road / track continued over the mountains to join the main road back to Bourg d'Oissons. As I was on my own this would have been too risky
jawaka

Post by jawaka »

Great thanks all the info is there and street view worked ok now.

Hi Campag, I'll be on my own too and with gradients of 14% the descents look scary.

Any other advice on the risks?!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just keep within your braking distance. I din't notice any problems and I'm a cowardly descender. Some of the balconies have a bit of rock fall. Just the odd one but hitting it wouldn't be good. Tunnels not long. You can muddle through without lights but a small one will make it fun.
coldesarenne

Post by coldesarenne »

HI

MAP OF THE BOURG D'OISANS AREA?
I have had a cycling hol based in Bourg D'Oisans for the last 6 years now.
Enjoyed very one!
And have done all the usual climbs that I'm sure everyone has.
This year, I'm planning on tackling a few of the balcony roads, that I've seen here and there.
Can anyone recommend a good paper map of the area, showing all these roads and more please?
I've got a basic 'guide' from the Tourist Office in Bourg D'Oisans, but it's small and not very clear.
Thanks
whoof

Post by whoof »

coldesarenne wrote:HI

Enjoyed very one!
This year, I'm planning on tackling a few of the balcony roads, that I've seen here and there.
Can anyone recommend a good paper map of the area, showing all these roads and more please?
I've got a basic 'guide' from the Tourist Office in Bourg D'Oisans, but it's small and not very clear.
Thanks

Michelin 1/200 000 number 77. Try Stanfords.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

whoof wrote:
coldesarenne wrote:HI

Enjoyed very one!
Thanks

Michelin 1/200 000 number 77. Try Stanfords.

BEtter still: IGN Top 100 (Série Verte) number 151 and possibly 158 (Le Bourg d'Oisans is near the limit of both maps).

It's a far better choice nowadays for cycling. It has tourist pictograms, more roads including non-paved ones, contours, small hamlets etc.
All of which are missing on the Michelin (which is nowadays printed at 1/150000th, which is not so good).
The Michelin map was the best for longer rides through the country because they had all the paved roads that one traveling on long distance would ever need and it was small/light. They were cheap too so one could buy them one by one and either give them away or send them home by post for saving weight.
Now the Michelin map is larger (on paper) but the details are the same (scale was changed). For riding from one place like le Bourg d'Oisans, IGN is better, IMHO.
In combination with an app that has the IGN map on line, it's an excellent combo (app can allow to zoom at 1/25000 scale, perfect for hiking, which one might want to do in that area). It's great to find one's way when multiple paths cross and not all are marked on the 1/100 000 th scale.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Simply memories". Jean Taboureau