Offline map software for a Mac

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
climo

Offline map software for a Mac

Post by climo »

After planning on cycle.travel or komoot online and tranferring the gpx file to my android phone, I mainly use Osmand for navigating.
I'd like to plan the route as I go along day by day and also look at a wider area for alternative routes, camping sites, shops etc so I want to do that on my macbook offline. I can't find a offline mapping software for mac which I can plan a route on and produce a gpx file for Osmand. It must be staring me in the face but I can't see it.
Any suggestions anyone?

Might be easier to buy an android tablet and run osmand and transfer the files to the phone by bluetooth.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Offline map software for a Mac

Post by Mick F »

Dunno, but Garmin BaseCamp may do it.

By connecting your Garmin to your computer, you can use the maps contained in your Garmin device and plan on the computer.
Personally, I don't do it, but I believe you can.
Mick F. Cornwall
climo

Post by climo »

Tried a talkytoaster map in basecamp and it works but it's not too good. I doubt if basecamp will show campsites etc
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Garmin Montana has Ordnance Survey 1:50000 maps in it, so when connected to the computer, I get the OS mapping.

Do campsites show on this scale?
Dunno, coz I don't go camping. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think Cartograph is available for the Mac. The software isnt free about £5 but the maps based on Openstreet maps with additions suitable for various outdoor pursuits is free ( though donations are a good idea ) I have this on my windows mobile and notebook. very good I think it is

https://www.cartograph.eu/

The maps are offline about 700mb for the UK. The software has a steep learning curve but it is worth it.

The thing I like is that it supports styles that change what is displayed and how it looks. Worth a look maybe

The style I like is Tiramisù which is bold for outdoors use

not sure about the gpx thing. It does have "tracks" whatever they are, which can be imported and exported. They can be live or created. This isnt a feature I have ever used. The saved file has .gpx has extension so it seems could be what you want.

https://www.cartograph.eu/help/doku.php

I use these mainly as a replacement for Memory Map/Anquet 50K landranger maps

Tiramisù style
Tiramisù style

A screenshot near Cheshunt on the Lea Valley Walk north London, from my mobile
climo

Post by climo »

Thanks.
Tried the demo which you can't create a route with so it's useless, so watched a video on Youtube. When you create a route it doesn't snap to the road neither does it auto route like most route planning software. Useless to route through a city then. Quite good for just viewing an area but it's not for me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Have you tried Garmin Basecamp for Mac yet?
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=4449
I don't like it, but I understand it'll do what you want.
Mick F. Cornwall
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

To confirm what MickF says, BaseCamp will do exactly what you need. I also find it an awful piece of software - it's really slow to render the maps on a modern device with a SSD, but it will work.

I stopped using BaseCamp a few years ago and now do all my planning using offline mapping apps on my iPad. MapOut and PocketEarth are good - when I have a route it's easy to export as GPX and transfer to my Garmin.
climo

Post by climo »

Yes. I've used Basecamp for years but it's crap. Poor at just about everything.
I've given up and bought a 10in android tablet, at 500gm it's MUCH lighter than my macbook. It'll run Osmand and Orux maps which will do the job and I can use it as a kindle
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

climo wrote:Yes. I've used Basecamp for years but it's crap. Poor at just about everything.
I've given up and bought a 10in android tablet, at 500gm it's MUCH lighter than my macbook. It'll run Osmand and Orux maps which will do the job and I can use it as a kindle

Do you do any editing on it?

I love my 7 inch android tab - great for reading as well as you say - I get ebooks from my library so very rarely without a book to read these days.
Sweep
climo

Post by climo »

I've bought it but it's not arrived yet.
What editing? Photo's? Routes?
My wifes an american and has library membership there so we can get kindle books for free. tbh on tour I'm so knackered at the end of the day that I read for about 20 mins and zzzzz...
Battery life is good, reviews say 12 hours of video so in theory we can tether it to the phone & watch a movie on a wet day off. I kinda doubt we'd do that as it seems a waste of time somehow.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

climo wrote:I've bought it but it's not arrived yet.
What editing? Photo's? Routes?
My wifes an american and has library membership there so we can get kindle books for free. tbh on tour I'm so knackered at the end of the day that I read for about 20 mins and zzzzz...
Battery life is good, reviews say 12 hours of video so in theory we can tether it to the phone & watch a movie on a wet day off. I kinda doubt we'd do that as it seems a waste of time somehow.

I meant editing gpx files or doing route twiddling.
Yes watching a film on tour/in a tent would rather sour the experience for me.
Would muçh rather read.
Sweep
climo

Post by climo »

Can't ever seem to touch the exact spot on a map with my finger so I'll be getting a stylus to make it easier to plot routes. Could use a mouse but then you have to have a surface for the mouse. Difficult when in a sleeping bag.
sjs

Post by sjs »

climo wrote:After planning on cycle.travel or komoot online and tranferring the gpx file to my android phone, I mainly use Osmand for navigating.
I'd like to plan the route as I go along day by day and also look at a wider area for alternative routes, camping sites, shops etc so I want to do that on my macbook offline. I can't find a offline mapping software for mac which I can plan a route on and produce a gpx file for Osmand. It must be staring me in the face but I can't see it.
Any suggestions anyone?

Might be easier to buy an android tablet and run osmand and transfer the files to the phone by bluetooth.

I think QMapShack could do what you want on a mac, including offline routing. I took the trouble to learn enough to use it a year or so ago, but it has a steep learning curve, and I have now forgotten nearly all I knew about it. An Android tablet is much easier .
climo

Post by climo »

QMapShack looks horrendous - life is too short to get involved in that.