More on the discrimination vein (but not LGBT)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:How can it be right to kill something just because I like the way it tastes?

Mmmm harvesting, cooking and eating plants kills them..........

That old chestnut... :roll:

No not just chestnuts but all plant material that dies when cooked and eaten... :-)
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Mmmm harvesting, cooking and eating plants kills them.

yes, but you can recycle them. Apologies to anyone eating their dinner.... :roll:

Jan
bikely-challenged

Post by bikely-challenged »

pete75 wrote:[

You're missing the point.....

For non leather walking boots try Green vee http://www.greenvee.com/products.html . Their boots are made by Altberg - pne of the best makers of walking boots. Altberg will also make their boots in a leather substitue(Lorica) to order.

What point am I missing? Sorry, you'll have to explain, you've lost me.

I know about GreenVee and if I were rich I would love to have Altberg make me some boots. :roll:

There are no shortage of vegetarian boots and shoes, but try finding some decent and affordable ones.
-----------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The above constitutes my personal opinion only on any given subject. Other opinions are available.
glueman

Post by glueman »

bikely-challenged wrote:
BTW, If you don't want to cater for vegetarians, then don't invite them round for a meal. No need for drama :roll:

No drama involved. Our vegetarian friends are too well mannered. Life is built on blind eyes and minor hypocrisy but I have to say that using dairy when it's based on one of the more questionable aspects of the food chain is up there with the best.

I understand those who like meat but avoid say, veal, also people who avoid red meat but enjoy free range poultry and folk who eat fish but not other animals. We all draw our own lines. If you drive a car you'll kill and maim small and large animals and, in my experience, most would rather the creature wanders into the hedgerow for a slow and painful death than despatch it cleanly.

It is possible, indeed necessary, to develop a moral framework around animals that sees them other than completely alien or pet fodder.
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:How can it be right to kill something just because I like the way it tastes?

Mmmm harvesting, cooking and eating plants kills them..........

That old chestnut... :roll:

No not just chestnuts but all plant material that dies when cooked and eaten... :-)

It'd be interesting if a botanist found out that plants do have a nervous system and can feel pain in a similar way to mammals. I find it fascinating how little we do know about the way plants, funghi and even insects operate on an internal physiological level compared to mammals.

Life is quite a profound thing to think about, some Buddhist once said "to live, is to cause suffering" (I'm probably paraphrasing it a bit) the trick is to minimise that suffering. If vegetarianism is one way of doing it, and it fits in with your belief constructs then there is no argument against it!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bikely-challenged wrote:
pete75 wrote:[

You're missing the point.....

For non leather walking boots try Green vee http://www.greenvee.com/products.html . Their boots are made by Altberg - pne of the best makers of walking boots. Altberg will also make their boots in a leather substitue(Lorica) to order.

What point am I missing? Sorry, you'll have to explain, you've lost me.

I know about GreenVee and if I were rich I would love to have Altberg make me some boots. :roll:

There are no shortage of vegetarian boots and shoes, but try finding some decent and affordable ones.

The greenvee boots are pretty decent by all accounts and not overly expensive for a pair of good boots - don't be so mean - :roll:
grace2

Post by grace2 »

What's with the not LGBT? :? :cry:
Lots of us are veggies.

Some's even vegans.

You seem to be a humerous lot. Is it a private joke?
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

grace2 wrote:

if it is, it's 'armless enough....
grace2

Post by grace2 »

Simon L6 wrote:
grace2 wrote:

if it is, it's 'armless enough....

Not given the elbow then.......?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

grace2 wrote:What's with the not LGBT? :? :cry:
Lots of us are veggies.

Some's even vegans.

A separate LGBT thread got a bit heated towards the end, this thread appeared slightly later and I think the title was intended to distance itself from that thread, rather than exclude LGBT's.

Welcome by the way. :D
grace2

Post by grace2 »

Thanks for welcoming hand. :wink:

I prefer fruits (no, really) to vegtables, but confess to eat m**t from time to time.

Why I don't like cafe food is it all has sugar. Even savoury stuff gets sugar put in.
Sugar builds up damage in your cartilage. Wrecks your joints.

Why the big warnings about smoking, fatty foods and salt but never a word against sugar? Poison.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

grace2 wrote:Thanks for welcoming hand. :wink:

I prefer fruits (no, really) to vegtables, but confess to eat m**t from time to time.

Why I don't like cafe food is it all has sugar. Even savoury stuff gets sugar put in.
Sugar builds up damage in your cartilage. Wrecks your joints.

Why the big warnings about smoking, fatty foods and salt but never a word against sugar? Poison.

I think pretty much anything in excess is harmful, best to eat a varied diet I think.

But yeah, I agree with the sugar thing. It's a sad fact of life that we're so conditioned to eat stuff that's sweet, fatty and/or salty that to the detriment of our health we as a nation insist that's how things taste...
meic

Post by meic »

The only use for refined sugar is when I make beer and wine.
A lot of places where you would traditionally use sugar, you can use cicely or star of anise which make things taste sweeter without sugar.

However I would sooner have drinks etc. with sugar than any artificial sweetener.
Honey is "fashionable" with healthy eaters but is it really anything more than sugar with a few beneficial additives. I like honey so I use it . :)

Our todler doesnt get sweets but she makes up her sugar with dried fruits, lots of them if allowed.
Yma o Hyd
bikely-challenged

Post by bikely-challenged »

I only recently found out that White Sugar can be filtered through bone char, to remove the colour!

Even stranger, the cattle bones used for this are supposedly from cows who've died of natural causes in India, Pakistan and Nigeria.

I thought it must be an internet myth but that information came from C&H Sugar company in the USA. :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The above constitutes my personal opinion only on any given subject. Other opinions are available.
meic

Post by meic »

Cattle bones were used to make bone china (probably still are) back in the 1980s they all came from South America, from the meat industry.

So I guess if I was a true vegetarian I should smash my bone china mug. :lol:
Yma o Hyd